Steve Hoffman/Kevin Gray to do YES "FRAGILE" on 180 gram vinyl for Analogue Prods.!

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by John, Aug 20, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. John

John Senior Member Thread Starter

Hi Gang- Holy crap! Found this on Acoustic Sounds website (see below) and couldn't be more excited. Did a quick search, and didnt see any posts of this yet, but you guys always seem to be two steps ahead of me! I hope this is just the beginning with The Yes Album and Close To The Edge not too far behind. I have a "GP" Fragile, and "Kinney" UK versions as well, which are good, but I would imagine that one cut by the Dynamic Duo from the original British master mixes would allow me to retire those!

Propelled by the timeless hit "Roundabout," Yes' fourth album, Fragile, became an instant classic and is undoubtedly one of prog-rock's finest moments. It was the first Yes record to feature Rick Wakeman on keyboards and the first to display the inimitable artwork of Roger Dean. And it's now been remastered by the incomparable team of Kevin Gray and Steve Hoffman at AcousTech Mastering. Typical of Kevin and Steve's work, this version of Fragile is warmer, richer and airier than the 1971 original. Rediscover a classic.

2. Gary

Gary Nauga Gort! Staff

Time for a pre order! :D

3. Tim H.

Tim H. Forum Resident

Re: Steve Hoffman/Kevin Gray to do YES "FRAGILE" on 180 gram vinyl for Analogue Prods

Very cool!!! :righton: :righton:

Please sirs, can we have some more? Like Close To The Edge, and The Yes Album?

Although $30 for a single LP is a bit steep for a cheapskate like me, for Fragile done by Steve and Kevin I have no problem ponying up the dough.

4. claypool

claypool New Member

Re: Steve Hoffman/Kevin Gray to do YES "FRAGILE" on 180 gram vinyl for Analogue Prods

I'm gonna get this one for sure. Great news!:righton:

5. vconsumer

vconsumer Unapologetically 70s

At that price, I will stick with my DVD-A and original UK pressing.

6. Tullman

Tullman Senior Member

I'm all over this one!

7. Tullman

Tullman Senior Member

How about Tales From Topographical Oceans next.:)

8. PMC7027

PMC7027 Forum Hall Of Fame

9. Starwanderer

Starwanderer Senior Member

10. Steve Hoffman

Steve Hoffman Your host Your Host

Those of you lucky enough to attend the "How Records Are Made" field trip to Record Technology, Inc. in Camarillo put on by Chad and Acoustic Sounds during the Stereophile Show a few months back will remember your visit to the mastering room. Kevin Gray and I had the British master reel of YES/Fragile cued up on the machine to play for a lucky bunch of you. We asked you not to mention what we were working on until Acoustic Sounds gave the word. Well, the word has been given and we are free to talk about this great album.

I think you'll like the sound.

Those of you who think 30 bucks is expensive for an item like this please remember that this is the price that DCC was charging for the 180 gram LP reissues back in 1993. Take a look on eBay as to what the DCC LP's of PET SOUNDS or AQUALUNG are going for right now. Still think $30.00 is expensive?

Remember, this is being released on Acoustic Sounds' own label, Analogue Productions. They had to get the rights for three years from Atlantic Records and guarantee a certain number of units would be sold. This means payment upfront of ALL the units even though a single record has not been released and the high unit goal might never be met. This was a labor of love for Chad at Acoustic Sounds (one of his favorite albums) and it cost a small fortune to get the rights. I won't bore you with the piles of tapes gone through to find the actual original British stereo master mixes but let me assure you, these lacquers were cut from the REAL DEAL.

Enjoy.

bru87tr and altaeria like this.
  11. johnny33

johnny33 New Member

Re: Steve Hoffman/Kevin Gray to do YES "FRAGILE" on 180 gram viny for Analog Prods!

woooooooooooohoooooooooooooo!!! too keeeeeewl!!!!!! :)

12. Jack White

Jack White Senior Member

Re: Steve Hoffman/Kevin Gray to do YES "FRAGILE" on 180 gram viny for Analog Prods.!

No release date is listed on the AS website. Does anyone have any idea when this will be available?

13. sherrill50

sherrill50 Well-adapted Melomaniac

Re: Steve Hoffman/Kevin Gray to do YES "FRAGILE" on 180 gram viny for Analog Prods.!

Lawdamighty! I don't even have a turntable set up anymore. I haven't played an LP in absolutely years, and haven't cared.

But my oh my... I'm gonna have to rethink that REAL HARD about now!

I second the nomination of 'Tales From Topographic Oceans' for next up!!

14. easyge

easyge Senior Member

This is great! I'm getting this.

15. Dave G.

Dave G. Forum Resident

awesome news!

16. MikeP5877

MikeP5877 Senior Member

I'm in!

17. Leppo

Leppo Forum Librarian

No, please bore us with additional info.

18. ashlee5

ashlee5 Senior Member

Count me in for a few copies. :righton: :goodie:

19. Steve Hoffman

Steve Hoffman Your host Your Host

Well, the final tests still have to be approved. I have not seen one yet so I'm guessing I'll have something to listen to in two weeks. It will be about a month after that. Be patient; these things take time...

20. jdmack

jdmack Forum Resident

Were you able to tell if the tape you used for this project was the same tape used for the Atlantic "Remastered" reissue, the MFSL reissue or the recent Rhino reissue? Has this tape been used for any CD issue ever?

J. D.

21. Drew

Drew Senior Member

I've been debating about whether or not to buy a turntable and this is probably going to push me over the edge. Put me down for two copies.

22. Sckott

Sckott Hand Tighten Only.

Nice.
    Isn't there some tough-to-cut dynamics on this record? Best to everyone involved - Chad, Steve and Kevin - and the rest to make this possible.

This is awesome.

23. Phlo

Phlo Formerly dave-o

It's always exciting when SH becomes involved with a timeless classic. I, for one, have never been disappointed.

24. Plexihead

Plexihead Well-Known Member

Sounds super, can't wait!

Too bad they couldn't have also got the rights for a gold cd release or hybrid sacd to go along with the lp, as it appears the best possible source has been used.

25. jahndhi

jahndhi Forum Resident

GET OUT!

That will be a dim-the-lights,
    all-the-way-through listen.

Great news.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.