Steve Hoffman/Kevin Gray to do YES "FRAGILE" on 180 gram vinyl for Analogue Prods.!

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by John, Aug 20, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Gary

Gary Nauga Gort! Staff

For sale: 14 versions of Fragile from around the world. Cheap!

:D

2. Paul K

Paul K Senior Member

Ha!

Wait till you and I get around to doing "Dark Side of the M..." Oh we DID do that!

Ah I had to block that one out!!!! Several THOUSAND replays of certain sections with my girlfriend present and participating (!) and she didn't leave me nor call the cops on Gary! Ah true love....

Now next up for you young man...."The Yes Album"..

....and now back to our scheduled thread...

3. John

John Senior Member Thread Starter

Steve- Kudos for taking the time to listen to as many versions as you did, I cant say enough about that!

I find the US original LP I have, and the Fragile cuts from the early 90s 4CD-CD boxed set to be a bit transistory and brighter than I would like. Is this how the masters sound? I am confused because I have 3 UK Kinney versions (the ones with the K designation in the catalog number) and they are not that way, much more listenable, although not without their own faults.

I will be picking up at least two of these, three if funds allow, to support Chads effort. I hope this sells well.

4. Matti Saari

Matti Saari Senior Finn

:agree:

5. Steve Hoffman

Steve Hoffman Your host Your Host

The master tape is many things but BRIGHT is not one of them.

6. vinyldoneright

vinyldoneright pbthal

Just ordered 2...one for me and one for the Forum classifieds in 10 years

7. Andreas

Andreas Senior Member

Re: Steve Hoffman/Kevin Gray to do YES "FRAGILE" on 180 gram vinyl for Analogue Prods

... which confirms my suspicion that the original Atlantic CD is pretty much a flat transfer (not necessarily from the master tape). :)

8. Jamie Tate

Jamie Tate New Member

Re: Steve Hoffman/Kevin Gray to do YES "FRAGILE" on 180 gram vinyl for Analogue Prods

I hope it's not that dull sounding.

9. gd0

gd0 Looney Tunes and Merrie Melodies

Tight budget... can't justify pricy vinyl.

Screw it, I'm getting this anyway.

Infrequent treasures like this are the exact reason I keep the P3 around.

10. ZenArcher

ZenArcher Senior Member

I may have to get this one...

I have the DVD-A and was pretty disappointed myself (I know others like it a lot). I found the bass loose and overblown, and everything in the busy mix seemed to sort of congeal. I'm particularly eager to hear what Steve has done for Mr. Squire's bass.

11. 51nocaster

51nocaster Senior Member

I am imagining this now as a demo-quality disc--with the awesome and powerful bass of Chris Squire in all its glory. "Morph the Cat" was just a tease. Amazing mastering and sound, but forgettable music. Great timing too for me as well, as I've just come back to Yes after a nearly 20 year layoff. Another good thing is that I haven't spent too much on this title up to this point, the inexpensive and easily obtainable Atlantic "Broadway" pressing being the best I have.

12. Evan L

Evan L Beatologist

One of my favorites....I will pony up the $30 to make sure that the promised amount of units sold will be met.

Evan

13. Doc Sarvis

Doc Sarvis Forum Resident

Just preordered two - one for me and one for my 15 year old vinylphile son.

Thank you Steve, Kevin, Chad and everyone else. This is fantastic. I would love to see more Yes catalog released this way, and it won't happen unless many of these are sold. Count me in!

14. Jamie Tate

Jamie Tate New Member

Don't ask me how many I ordered. It's more than one but less than 5. This will probably be the difinitive version and they'll have to last the rest of my life. :)

I hope they sell a pantload of them so Chad will be able to do more.

15. seed_drill

seed_drill Senior Member

FWIW: Though I only have a few titles, I haven't run into any pressing problems with Analogue Productions, the way I have with certain other audiophile labels...

I'll be glad to sell my Rhino, which I only keep because my original Atlantic is too noisy (due to grade, not pressing).

16. CardinalFang

CardinalFang New Member

:agree: The lone 45 RPM Fantasy/Analogue Productions record I purchased (Monk's Music) is one of the best LPs I own. :thumbsup:

Yeah, maybe two copies of Fragile are in order. :angel:

17. John

John Senior Member Thread Starter

Thanks Steve, I was hoping that wasnt the case!

18. johmbolaya

johmbolaya Active Member

I think we can cue up Close To The Edge and together we can offer a collective "AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHH!"

Fragile is a personal favorite, and obviously from this thread it will due well by default. Everyone is quick to rush and offer suggestions, however I believe Steve said that the version he did still needs to be approved by all of the appropriate parties. Once that happens, it still has to go through whatever channels are needed to make it happen... THEN we can jump in glee, or at least until a confirmed release date is set.

If this one has been done, I'd like to assume that the request to do an LP of Close To The Edge has already been placed. If so, then obviously the success of the SH-mastered Fragile will be a major factor on whether or not other Yes albums will be made available to him.

Of course, this only adds fuel to the non-existent fire, we're dealing with matches and mere sparks. I'm anxious like everyone else.

19. Jeff Carney

Jeff Carney Fan Of Specifics (No Koolaid)

I was thinking the same thing, Andreas.

But the Gastwirt CD sounds quite similar to my Piros mastered Atlantic LP, and I still prefer it.

Of course I'll be getting this version now, and it is sure to please!

20. Jamie Tate

Jamie Tate New Member

I totally agree. Same goes for the Yes Album. Surprisingly similar in tone.

21. vinyldoneright

vinyldoneright pbthal

Lets say that this LP breaks even or even goes beyond that, what are the chances of doing more Yes titles, since it seems Atlantic isnt adverse to letting someone do vinyl reissues. And just how many copies do we need to buy to get this "Steve doing The Yes Album" project rolling:)

22. dkmonroe

dkmonroe A completely self-taught idiot

At last, I will own a Steve-mastered vinyl LP. It's a dream come true. I've been afraid there wouldn't be ANY Steve-mastered rock vinyl for a long time, if ever.

$30 is dear, but well worth it. I can't even touch those DCC vinyls.

23. CybrKhatru

CybrKhatru Music is life.

I'll be buying two for sure. I have to....just look at my screenname! ;)

Steve, I am so glad you are doing this title...what a treat this is going to be!!!

---Matt

24. Paul K

Paul K Senior Member

Celebratory bump!

25. Gary

Gary Nauga Gort! Staff

High five? ;)

Maybe I should order two....

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.