Steve Hoffman/Kevin Gray to do YES "FRAGILE" on 180 gram vinyl for Analogue Prods.!

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by John, Aug 20, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. R. Cat Conrad

R. Cat Conrad Almost Famous

Re: Steve Hoffman/Kevin Gray to do YES "FRAGILE" on 180 gram vinyl for Analogue Prods

I agree; as much as I'd love to own this (Yes' Fragile is one of my favorite prog. albums), if Steve isn't licensed to release this in either CD, HDCD or SACD format, I'll have to pass. I have no turntable and recently purchased a line pre-amp I really like (no phono input); I've bought a lot of digital music with the Hoffman touch, but have no desire to retrofit (been there; done that). :rolleyes:

Too bad, but I'm sure that this is great news for vinyl spinners. :sigh:

:cheers:
    Cat

2. -Ben

-Ben Senior Member

Re: Steve Hoffman/Kevin Gray to do YES "FRAGILE" on 180 gram vinyl for Analogue Prods

I'm sure Steve would like to see his work in as many formats as possible. However, Steve does not release music. He is hired to do specific remastering projects for record companies. The project in this case is remastering/cutting an LP version.

Indeed :cheers:

3. Leppo

Leppo Forum Librarian

I would suspect that some nice sounding needle drops will be floating around. :winkgrin:

4. Sam

Sam Senior Member

I won't bore you with the piles of tapes gone through to find the actual original British stereo master mixes but let me assure you, these lacquers were cut from the REAL DEAL.

Steve, are you kidding? I would love to hear how you found the actual master. I find that info fascinating. Like the story of how the master tape to Aqualung finally had the dust brushed off of it in Ian Anderson's barn. Or some treasured master tape buried away in some musty, dark storage facility marked "Do not use." How about the one where someone was using one of the Doors' master tapes as a tray table for their lunch. I can just picture Steve with an Indiana Jones hat on crawling through a dark tunnel holding a lighted torch. He brushes away the spiders and rats as he reaches for a tin can on a shelf. As he brings the torch light to the can and blows away the dust, he reads, "Beatles---Stereo master---"She Loves You" and "Love Me Do" with Ringo on Drums."

5. whiskerbiscuit

whiskerbiscuit Forum Resident

$30 for a vinyl LP in 2006 from Steve, Kevin and Chad that you *know* is gonna sound really, really, really bitchin, is (IMHO) an outright steal. My only advice is to buy more than one copy, but you already knew that...

6. Andreas

Andreas Senior Member

Steve,

this is probably not the best place to ask, but now that you know the sound and quality of the master tape, is there a CD release of Fragile that you think does the job well?

7. Jamie Tate

Jamie Tate New Member

Excellent question. I doubt Steve's heard all the versions though.

8. poweragemk

poweragemk Old Member

Maybe someone else can license it for gold CD. Like, say, MoFi...?

9. Paul K

Paul K Senior Member

Everybody....

The fact that this has been licensed AT ALL is a miracle for any format....

I thank my good fortune in having a decent turntable with a decent cart and phono section!

This to me...next to The Beatles...is a most emotionally charged release....For most Yes fans....this is AS GOOD as having the Beatles done....

Thanx again Steve, Kevin, and AP!!!!

10. KBanya

KBanya Active Member

Me too.

11. vinyldoneright

vinyldoneright pbthal

I have a question for the folks that think this LP is too expensive, how much would you spend? To me 30 dollars to have one of the most reverred LP's of that genre done by Steve frikkin Hoffman is such a bargain. And even if I didn't love the music you know the value on this thing is gonna skyrocket.

12. Drew

Drew Senior Member

Yes "Fragile" was the first gold CD I purchased (from the Atlantic Gold Standard series) back in '94 and I think I paid... $30.

13. CardinalFang

CardinalFang New Member

I predict that you folks that are passing on this LP because of the price will either be kicking yourself for never buying it (when you finally hear it), or will break down and buy it when you read all our comments upon release. :D

Steve Hoffman + Kevin Gray + 180g vinyl = No Brainer

I've spent more on out of print Hoffman CDs and LPs that I like less than I like Fragile. I've spent more on Classic Records releases that won't sound nearly as good. This, IMO, is a STEAL. :D

14. Paul K

Paul K Senior Member

Enough!!!

I will not stand by and let AP and Steve get bogged down in this...

Please....let's be happy!!!!!!!!!No more talk of cost! Trip it down to Sunday/Monday morning....

Enough....

Thank you again! Cost is not a factor if quality is involved.

Thanx....

This is from a guy who doesn't make that much money folks...(musicians tend not to....)

So there!!!

15. CardinalFang

CardinalFang New Member

Sorry Paul, didn't mean to fan the flames, but I suppose that's what my post could do.

Yes, let's be happy! :D

16. KBanya

KBanya Active Member

I agree that Steve "doing" this "album" is huge. I just no longer wish to purchase LP's. I've only bought one LP ('Dark Side of the Moon') since being burned...twice...with lousy new vinyl. My 'Last Waltz' and 'Fillmore East' copies were all crap. I ended out sending them both back, numerous times, with not much better results on the returns. I'm done with vinyl! Give me digital.

17. vinyldoneright

vinyldoneright pbthal

MORE FOR ME!!!;)

18. R. Cat Conrad

R. Cat Conrad Almost Famous

Please don't take this the wrong way, but most of us already know this, or at least should know this by now. I was merely lamenting the fact that there apparently will be no reissue of this in a format I enjoy so I'll have to forego the pleasure of hearing Steve's take on this monumental album.

My comment wasn't intended as a criticism and I'm sure that by stating the obvious you didn't mean to come across as condescending.

The only point I was trying to make is that it's a shame that Steve's take on this very important title will not be accessible for some, perhaps many who aren't into vinyl. It certainly begs for an SACD or at least an HDCD release, but will undoubtably benefit from the Hoffman touch in any format.

So, I guess the bottom line is that folks who feel left out should send letters/emails of protest to the record label, right? :rant: :cussing: :yikes: ;)

I have an aversion to needles. :winkgrin:

:cheers:
    Cat

19. -Ben

-Ben Senior Member

Exactly. I'm not sure it will do any good, but that was my point.
    I knew you knew :D , but many new members assume Steve decides on which format and which titles he is going to work on. It doesn't happen that way. He may sometimes decline jobs for a variety of reasons, but that's another story.

How many times have we seen posts like ... "Steve could you please remaster x title on y format?" Or.."Steve should have remastered it in the z format"?

20. Steve Hoffman

Steve Hoffman Your host Your Host

Fair question but I have no answer for you. I listened to EVERY LP version from the 1970's and the early 80's of this title (courtesy of Chad Kassem's record collection) but skipped the CD versions. I would assume that the Atlantic Gold CD version is from the same tapes I used. Of course the tapes needed MUCH work to sound wonderful so I have no idea what was done on the Gold Disc. Played back flat the music doesn't work.

21. ivan_wemple

ivan_wemple Senior Member

Count me among those who'd love a digital release. I'd be licking my chops if this title was in the works for the next AF gold CD.

Congrats to the vinyl lovers!

22. Paul K

Paul K Senior Member

Wow!

Steve. Which pressing had the most problems of all you listened to? Best one you found....

If you want to comment on this AFTER this has been released then that is cool too!

We all know you will have done this release with the utmost consideration and care and our expectations are high....

23. Plexihead

Plexihead Well-Known Member

Man, can imagine that . . . Fragile being the next AF gold disc being done by Steve . . . ahhh, it's nice to dream.

24. Gary

Gary Nauga Gort! Staff

Probably the Canadian domestic version.... ;)

25. Paul K

Paul K Senior Member

Reaaallyy Gary?

as between you and I we have more versions of that lp then you could shake a stick at I think we are in for a very dizzying listening session soon...Maybe we could even get through a song!!!!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.