Small Faces 2012

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by zphage, Dec 24, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. zphage

zphage genre fluid Thread Starter

http://www.imwan.com/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=17&t=73409

early 2012 there is going to be a deluxe box set containg 6 to 7 cd's

PLUS

a 3-cd box set for each 5 albums released:
    1/ Decca "small faces".
    2/ Decca "from the beginning".
    3/ ...Immediate "small Faces".
    4/ Ogdens.
    5/ Autumn Stones.
    Each album containg 3 cd's of remasters 2012 and alternate versions and takes plus work in progress tracks like a 15 minute work in progress version of Tin Soldier.

2. JuanTCB

JuanTCB Senior Member

Whoa.

3. LFSDoc

LFSDoc time has told me not to ask for more

:goodie:

4. hominy

hominy Digital Drifter

Holy cow! 3 CDs for EACH?? :eek:

5. Laservampire

Laservampire Down with this sort of thing

Yes. Please.

6. apple-richard

apple-richard *Overnight Sensation*

This is a band I could always wrap my ears around. Bring on the 3 CD sets!

four sticks likes this.
  7. Ern

Ern Senior Member

8. brettster808

brettster808 Forum Resident

Outstanding!

9. gmku

gmku Active Member

Good grief, how could I ever justify shelling out the coin for all that?

10. Bill

Bill Senior Member

So, where do the October 2011 stealth reissues in Britain supposedly personally remastered by Mac and Kenny that I just ordered fit?

11. MEMPHISSUN

MEMPHISSUN Forum Resident

Well that is a great start to 2012!.

:cheers:

12. Dok

Dok Senior Member

Indeed that is the question! From a posting on down in the Imwan forum -

from Iain McGonigal, who's involved with the new box set 2012, to Mick Taylor:

"Mick And all
    Rob Caiger has the master tapes for Ogdens – I can vouch for that as I have held them in my hand !!
    Some of them he got from Andrew Oldham
    Rob shared with me that over the years NONE of the Small Faces remasters have been done from the original master tapes – but in fact from acetates or other source material
    This is one of the reasons the forthcoming 2012 releases will be so special
    For example I have a 3 CD set here of the remastered Ogdens - - FANTASTIC
    Both from the view point of sound quality – and also alternate takes
    You will have noticed now that after years and years of a glut of SF releases on the market 0 there have been none for the last 3-4 years – all in anticipation of this 2012 set of releases"

my question to Mick:

Hmmm... Iain says he has a 3 CD set of the remastered Ogdens, and a remastered Kenney/Mac approved Ogdens just came out in Oct in a 1 CD version. So they're releasing the CDs in deluxe and non-deluxe versions? Plus a new box set?

Mick's response:

"Sorry Robin, thought i'd answred you. same as a i said to Drew. early 2012 there is going to be a deluxe box set containg 6 to 7 cd's PLUS a 3-cd box set for each 5 albums released. 1/ Decca "small faces". 2/ Decca "from the beggining". 3/ ...Immediate "small Faces". 4/ Ogdens. 5/ Autumn Stones. Each album containg 3 cd's of remasters 2012 and alternate versions and takes plus work in progress tracks like a 15 minute work in progress version of Tin Soldier."

I'm beginning to doubt after what Iain has said is to what source the 2011 remasters are taken from. If mac and kenny approved them but they are not from the original tapes then to me that's ripping people off? some confusion somewhere.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Unquote

13. Bill

Bill Senior Member

My copies of the October CDs are winging their way here. I will report when I get them, but am not too optimistic.

14. Jeff K

Jeff K Well-Known Member

I'll contain my enthusiasm until I see how much they're asking for it. It will probably only be available as an import so that's more extra added dollars.

I just hope this isn't a rush job to capitalize on their Rock and Roll HOF induction.

15. howlinrock

howlinrock Forum Resident In Memoriam

I too have looked forward to this release but something tells not to get overly excited. I'll wait for further information. The track listings could change my ambivalence. I have many multiple versions of each LP on CD and the original records. I’m a sucker when it comes down to certain of bands and the Small Faces are one of them. The cash in with the induction is normal business in the dying industry.

16. jdlaw

jdlaw Forum Resident

LOVE the Small Faces, so I'm definitely keeping an eye on these reissues/box set. Very, VERY interested.

17. Jeff K

Jeff K Well-Known Member

Nothing inherently wrong with that provided it's done by people who know what they're doing. The one positive thing you could say about the Hall is it enables its acts to get their work back in circulation again if only for a brief period of time. I'll still take the 'wait and see' road. Especially since I already own a great deal of Small Faces.

18. eelkiller

eelkiller One of the great unwashed

I only have the 2 anthologies (Deram and Sequel/Castle) so I will be all over these reissues. I almost pulled the trigger on the remasters from earlier this year and for once I may have made a correct decision. :)

19. howlinrock

howlinrock Forum Resident In Memoriam

I think the Rock Hall is a good thing and I enjoyed going there. More power to Ian and Kenny they deserve acknowledgement of their legacy. There is really nothing that will keep me from buying this stuff. The compiler Rob Caiger knows his stuff. It's what gets done by someone else in mastering that COULD be a concern.

What really flags me is I don't see how they could get a 3 CD set for some of the early LP's especially the Decca stuff. What has really survived? Ogden’s already had a 3 CD set in the metal can and the 1st Immediate was a 2 CD set. They probably could get more with Autumn Stone as they have many leftovers. Using the mono mixes on all this stuff you get close and they have already done that. How much could really be new? Now the box set could be 6 or 7 CD's.

20. Bill

Bill Senior Member

There's a new official group website, under construction, that will undoubtedly tell all:
    thesmallfaces.com

21. Wurzelsepp

Wurzelsepp Forum Resident

Would love to see a real(!) complete set of DECCA material. Some French-EP tracks always sounded dodgy on earlier remasters, some tracks were complete ignored (e.g. Winston-vocal version of DON´T STOP WHAT YOU´RE DOING, unedited E TOO D)...

Syd:(

22. sbardc

sbardc Forum Resident

That "new" website has been sitting there under construction with the same front page for a number of years. I wouldn't hold out too much hope for it to suddenly come alive any time soon.

23. privit1

privit1 Senior Member

genuinly excited

24. Most likely it's not. According to an Uncut article on Steve Marriott from earlier this year they have been working on the boxed set for a few years. The 3 disc remasters weren't mentioned back then.

25. bibijeebies

bibijeebies vinyl hairline spotter

If you would watch the British Invasion dvd (recommended over here, and subsequently watched by me, thanks!) you could clearly see in the interview with Ian McLagan that they care about their music and the heritage. I do not believe they would agree with shoddy, sub-standard reissues.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.