Small Faces 2012

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by zphage, Dec 24, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. swedgin

swedgin Forum Resident

Small Faces Decca Album.

2. fitzysbuna

fitzysbuna Senior Member

ah ok thanks !

3. hodgo

hodgo Tea Making Gort (Yorkshire Branch) Staff

You're forgetting the Decca Self Titled debut album. http://www.amazon.co.uk/Small-Faces...=sr_1_2?s=music&ie=UTF8&qid=1334299191&sr=1-2

"From The Beginning" was a spoiler album put out by Decca at the same time as the self titled Immediate debut album.

4. stenway

stenway Forum Resident

wow great!!!!! I hope good sound on that! I remember my first small faces CD it the " Ogdens" on cherry records, BAD SOUND! I was 15 years old

by the way the best sound of "Ogdens" is the 1st uk press on vinyl right? thats the best over all? including cds right?

it would be great an audiophile new reissue of the Ogdens on Vinyl

I have the "Small Faces - Small Faces (Immediate)" from the vinyl, sounds amazing, better than cds

5. Quark1134

Quark1134 Forum Resident

If you have the time, it would be great to get some feedback on how these sound. Fingers crossed they're not compressed and EQed to death.

6. Bill

Bill Senior Member

Thanks for the leap, howlinrock. Having done so for the 2011 remasters, only to get more of the same, I look forward to your review of the sonic revelations de jour. Wouldn't it be nice if they actually were?

7. swedgin

swedgin Forum Resident

I Can't Make It is labeled as 'Session Version' on Disc 2, is that the same as the stereo mix I wonder? That and Just Passing are also on the From the Beginning Deluxe. Only new track I see on Disc 2 (equivalent of Disc 1 on the 35th Anniversary) is the instrumental (If You Think You're) Groovy.

For Disc 1 (equivalent of Disc 1 on the 35th Anniversary) has an alternate Eddie's Dreaming not on the 35th and omits the mono I Can't Make It/Just Passing single plus the album sampler.

The alternate Green Circles and (Tell Me) Have You Ever Seen Me tracks are labeled different on the new Deluxe but I would be surprised if they are different.

Not enough for me to repurchase, I'll pick up the 2 'new' tracks on iTunes.

8. JohnBR

JohnBR Forum Resident

Just an FYI, this is not a new track. It was previously released on Darlings of Wapping Wharf Launderette, maybe elsewhere too.

9. LFSDoc

LFSDoc time has told me not to ask for more

Wasn't a vocal version on Darlings...? The instrumental take has been making the rounds in collectors' circles for a while, but not officially AFAIK.
    Doc

10. maclean

maclean Forum Resident

I'm quite convinced that I Can't Make It/Just Passing on From the Beginning DL are the single mono mixes. Stereo Just Passing is on the First Immediate DL and stereo I Can't Make It is on neither.

11. swedgin

swedgin Forum Resident

Yes it's the PP Arnold vocal that's on Darlings.

12. ashulman

ashulman Forum Resident

I have a link to the songs through an online service from the label. I don't have any physical packaging.

13. ashulman

ashulman Forum Resident

The bonus stuff is mainly stereo versions on the Immediate disc. On the other stuff its mainly alternate mixes and alternate versions. Some electronically processed stereo too.

14. Tristero

Tristero In possession of the future tense

It looks like they're saving the choice bonus stuff for the forthcoming box set.

15. ashulman

ashulman Forum Resident

I don't know. The sets I have access to all have 10-20 bonus songs for each album. My understanding is I have the whole magilla.

16. maclean

maclean Forum Resident

In another forum (probably inwan), an insider to the project said that there was going to be "very little duplication" in the box wrt these four deluxes.

17. fitzysbuna

fitzysbuna Senior Member

when is the box set going to be released?
    just ordered three of the new deluxe cds

18. Bill

Bill Senior Member

I just noticed that amazon.com now has two versions of the two Immediate remasters, on Snapper and on Sanctuary, with the former much cheaper than the latter, which are imports. Does anybody know if the Snappers are the real deal remasters that we've been hearing about?
    Thanks.

19. Mal

Mal Phorum Physicist

Extended Versions?...

Just grabbed this listing for the 3 disc Ogdens'... from www.thesmallfaces.co.uk/ to check it hasn't changed since Ben posted it a couple of months ago:

Mono:

Ogden's Nut Gone Flake
    Afterglow (Of Your Love)
    Long Agos And Worlds Apart
    Rene
    Song Of A Baker
    Lazy Sunday
    Happiness Stan
    Rollin' Over
    The Hungry Intruder
    The Journey
    Mad John - Extended Version
    Happy Days Toy Town

Stereo:

Ogden's Nut Gone Flake
    Afterglow (Of Your Love)
    Long Agos And Worlds Apart
    Rene
    Song Of A Baker
    Lazy Sunday
    Happiness Stan
    Rollin' Over
    The Hungry Intruder
    The Journey
    Mad John
    Happy Days Toy Town - Extended Version

I've omitted the second disc info since my question is about the two tracks listed as "Extended Version". As far as I can recall, the difference between the track times for these songs on the original mono and stereo LPs is minimal - maybe a couple of seconds or so. Furthermore, the stereo "Happydaystoytown" is a couple of seconds shorter than the mono, if anything. So, are we to assume that the versions on the new re-issue are significantly longer versions than previously released? If so that would make this re-issue far from definitive, original tapes or not...

Maybe I already have these longer versions somewhere?!

20. celticbob

celticbob Forum Resident

All I own is a single CD of OGDENS'. I may pull the trigger on these as I am unfamiliar with any Small Faces apart from the mainstream 'Hits'.

21. swedgin

swedgin Forum Resident

The Deluxes are expensive and a bit of an unknown quantity at present, I'd approach with caution (I'm dipping my toe with Ogdens'). If you are looking for more Small Faces these 2 comps..... one representing the Decca years and the other the Immediate years will give practically all of the studio output they released, and for a fraction of the cost. Both well regarded on the forum.

Decca Anthology

http://www.amazon.co.uk/The-Decca-Anthology-1965-1967/dp/B000024WZG/ref=pd_sim_m_h__4

Darlings of Wapping Warf Launderette

http://www.amazon.co.uk/The-Darling...QV/ref=sr_1_24?ie=UTF8&qid=1335097011&sr=8-24

22. celticbob

celticbob Forum Resident

Thanks.
    That may be the better way to go for now.

23. Bill

Bill Senior Member

Did a little more research on my question about Snapper, which is a British reissue label, affiliated with Charley. Its website refers to the Small Faces remasters due May 7, so I'm thinking that the first Immediate album 2 CD set on Snapper that Amazon is offering for only $14.99 is the real deal. I just ordered it; cheaper than amazon.co.UK.

24. maclean

maclean Forum Resident

According to amazon.co.uk, the length of both versions of Happy Days is the same as the ones on the previous Ogdens 3cd set (from 2008 if I remember correctly) I don't know where this "extended version" thing comes from.

Also, I'm losing patience about the mysterious "session versions" of I Can't Make It. I'm afraid they are just the regular versions, judging from the amazon samples (oh, yes, there are samples now!).

Lastly, if they just told us where in the heck they are going to put the stereo versions of I'm Only Dreaming & I Feel Much Better!

25. LFSDoc

LFSDoc time has told me not to ask for more

I bet it's the commercial version without fadeout, which has been circulating lately in collectors' circles
    doc

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.