Small Faces 2012

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by zphage, Dec 24, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Bill

Bill Senior Member

I don't think there's a good sounding version of Ogden's. Just pick one.

Helmut likes this.
  2. dajokr

dajokr Classical "Mega" Box Set Collector

Understand ... thanks. I was primarily confirming the two 3-CD versions were identical, and then asking if anyone who has seen both prefers one or the other. Leaning toward the round one...

3. lou

lou Fast 'n Bulbous

My understanding is that only the Charly round case release has the second disc with the alternative mixes/alternative takes and outtakes. It's three cds, mono, outtakes, and stereo. The deluxe edition is two cd's, isn't it? A previous metal round case release had three cd's but the extra cd (besides the mono and stereo ones) was a radio special and didn't include any outtakes.

4. lou

lou Fast 'n Bulbous

Never mind, I just looked up the deluxe edition and yes, it's identical to the cardboard round case three cd set. So unless you just want the round case for the cool factor (and it is cool), you'll get the same music in the deluxe.

dajokr likes this.
  5. rstamberg

rstamberg Senior Member

Don't know if it's been mentioned here or not, but both Small Faces reunion albums on Atlantic Records (PLAYMATES and 78 IN THE SHADE) have been released on CD in Japan. The sound on both is excellent.

6. noahjld

noahjld Der Wixxer

And both are absolutely dreadful albums.

Nightswimmer, Tristero and Tuck1977 like this.
  7. rstamberg

rstamberg Senior Member

That's the spirit!
    Thank you so very much for your contribution.

ajsmith and Tommyboy like this.
  8. noahjld

noahjld Der Wixxer

No problem.

Nightswimmer likes this.
  9. Mark Wilson

Mark Wilson Forum Resident

Looking at several online stores it appears that the two Immediate label Deluxe Editions are currently Out Of Print, but the two Decca titles are still available. (Talking about the Universal style with the "Deluxe Edition" strip running around it.) Anyone know why?

CD Japan is listing upcoming releases for S/T and Ogdens Deluxe Editions in April as Imports (as in Not made in Japan) so maybe they're planning to reissue.

The U.S. Charley "book style" deluxes are still available but their Ogdens is only a 2 disc version with mono & bonus discs but not the stereo.

For anyone who knows, is there much difference between the stereo discs in the round tin can version that came out a few years back and the Deluxe Edition version? I have the former and am curious.

Thanks!

Mark

Last edited: Mar 24, 2016
  10. lou

lou Fast 'n Bulbous

I remember the deluxe edition restores the song transitions/segues of the original album, which was not the case with the tin can version. Plus the deluxe edition has a third CD of alternate mixes/out takes, while the tin can had a 3rd edition of some radio program.

11. hallucalation

hallucalation Forum Resident

Just started to enjoy deluxes for Decca albums. Can anyone shed the light where this all alternate versions come from? French EP's really? So all of it is sourced from vinyl...

There's copyright 1965 under alternate What's A Matter Baby and Whatcha Gonna Do About It - is this from French EP?

Also, bonus tracks for From The Beginning sounds horrible - are these comes from acetates? (Baby Don't Do It, Take This Hurt Off Me)

12. hallucalation

hallucalation Forum Resident

Ben, anyone? BUMP

13. Tommyboy

Tommyboy Senior Member

I would think the tracks are sourced from the master tapes

Clanceman likes this.
  14. Tristero

Tristero In possession of the future tense

Maybe this is better addressed in a different thread, but would anyone care to comment on the sound quality of the deluxe From The Beginning. I know that this album was never really a sonic marvel to begin with, but I think it's something of an under-recognized gem, despite its questionable provenance. Is it worth the upgrade to the deluxe edition? Or would I be better off saving my sheckles for the Decca Years set? Sometimes I tend to overlook this period in favor of the Immediate stuff, but there's a raw fire to these earlier recordings that's appealing.

Last edited: Nov 1, 2016
  15. marmalade166

marmalade166 Sous les pavés, la plage!

I can't comment on the sound quality but I just picked up the Decca Years boxset as it's been discounted to £30, and it's handy to have all the new mastering under one roof so to speak - plus the Joe Loss stuff that *I think* is new is great - basically The Small Faces live in '66 from a very passable off-air recording

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.