Small Faces 2012

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by zphage, Dec 24, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Carserguev

Carserguev Forum Resident

Doesn't sound very exciting... Drat, and I wanted this to be exciting... :(

2. aoxomoxoa

aoxomoxoa I'm an ear sitting in the sky

Are these out yet?

3. eelkiller

eelkiller One of the great unwashed

May 2012 according to Amazon.uk

4. Clarkophile

Clarkophile Through the Morning, Through the Night

Maybe the box will have some interesting rarities. I think I'll pass on these.

5. Carserguev

Carserguev Forum Resident

Is the box still on? I thought the expanded albums put the box out of the running?! Has anybody heard different? Here's hoping... :shake:

6. rediffusion

rediffusion Forum Resident

Why is Don't Burst My Bubble on the 1st Immediate album? Wasn't it recorded after Ogden's?

7. JohnBR

JohnBR Forum Resident

This is disappointing, there were longstanding rumors of a demo recording with Steve Marriott vocals, but I guess that doesn't exist after all. (Unless they're holding it back for the box set, if that's still coming.)

Also, no Autumn Stone tracks? Some of us were hoping they'd be included on Ogdens, since there's no Autumn Stone deluxe edition forthcoming. Maybe there simply weren't enough 1862-related tracks to justify a deluxe edition for that release.

8. fiscus1

fiscus1 Senior Member

I'm underwhelmed by the track listings. Fake stereo?? Yikes! And where are the 45 mixes?

This is depressing - and it should've been a time to rejoice.

9. Strummergas

Strummergas Senior Member

I guess it really just comes down to the masterings. Supposedly these are the first Small Faces CD's that have been sourced from the original masters. So while fake stereo, hardly any Autumn Stone tracks, and no real rarities are very disappointing, we can hope they're at least a step up sound-wise to previous releases.

10. Vivaldinization

Vivaldinization Active Member

We've heard that a lot recently (see 13th Floor Elevators, The Move) and a) in some cases it hasn't been true, and b) in others it has not made the slightest bit of difference.

Color me disappointed by the fake stereo and lack of anything truly "undiscovered." The track lists suggest a grab bag of "stuff we found," much of which appears to echo the rarities commonly encountered on a whole host of Small Faces LPs and CDs.

Unless the first Immediate mono album is sourced from tape, I can't see why these would be preferable to the last "deluxe" editions that came out a few years back.

11. Tristero

Tristero In possession of the future tense

Yeah, I can't see any reason to replace the deluxe edition of their Immediate debut at this point. I might go for the new Ogden's for the mono mix.

When it comes down to it, I just don't think that there's all that much primo unreleased stuff left in the vaults from these guys and between these new editions and the upcoming box set, they're doling it out very sparingly. It does get a little frustrating when you have to keep re-buying the same material again and again just to get a handful of alternate mixes and rare nuggets.

12. Clarkophile

Clarkophile Through the Morning, Through the Night

My thoughts exactly.

13. JohnBR

JohnBR Forum Resident

I wasn't expecting much (if anything) in the way of previously unreleased material, but for me the main disappointment is that the deluxe edition series does not include all of their commercial output. It looks like all of the post Ogdens tracks are only going to be represented in the box set, and even the late period single tracks are missing: "The Universal," "Donkey Rides, a Penny, a Glass," and "Wham Bam Thank You Ma’am."

Still curious to see what's going to be on From the Beginning.

14. JohnBR

JohnBR Forum Resident

Found the tracklisting for From the Beginning posted at The Second Disc:

http://theseconddisc.com/2012/02/02...return-in-a-big-way-with-deluxe-editions-due/

Small Faces, From the Beginning (Decca 4879, 1967 – reissued Universal U.K., 2012)

CD 1: Tracks 1-14 from Decca 4879, 1967

1.Runaway
    2.My Mind’s Eye
    3.Yesterday, Today And Tomorrow
    4.That Man
    5.My Way Of Giving
    6.Hey Girl
    7.(Tell Me) Have You Ever Seen Me
    8.Take This Hurt Off Me
    9.All Or Nothing
    10.Baby Don’t You Do It
    11.Plum Nellie
    12.Sha La La La Lee
    13.You’ve Really Got A Hold On Me
    14.What’Cha Gonna Do About
    15.Almost Grown (from Decca single 26058, 1966)
    16.Understanding (from Decca single 12470, 1966)
    17.I Can’t Dance With You (from Decca single 25269, 1966)
    18.I Can’t Make It – Session Version
    19.Just Passing (from Decca single 12565, 1967)

CD 2

1.Runaway – Alternate Mix
    2.That Man – Alternate Mix
    3.Yesterday, Today And Tomorrow – Alternate Mix
    4.My Mind’s Eye – Alternate Mix (Electronically Processed Stereo)
    5.Picaninny – Backing Track
    6.Hey Girl – Alternate Version
    7.Take This Hurt Off Me – Different Version (from In the Beginning, Decca CD 844 633-2, 1996)
    8.Baby Don’t You Do It – Different Version (from In the Beginning, Decca CD 844 633-2, 1996)
    9.All Or Nothing – Alternate Mix (Electronically Processed Stereo)
    10.Understanding – Alternate Mix (Electronically Processed Stereo)
    11.Talk To You – Take 5 Backing Track
    12.All Our Yesterdays – Take 7 Backing Track
    13.(Tell Me) Have You Ever Seen Me – Alternate Take 2
    14.Show Me The Way – Take 3 Backing Track
    15.I Can’t Make It – Take 11 Backing Track
    16.Things Are Going to Get Better – Take 14 Session Version

15. JohnBR

JohnBR Forum Resident

Interesting that both From the Beginning and Small Faces (1967) list I Can't Make It as "Session Version." So, the single version is not included anywhere? Unless one of these is a misprint.

16. Laservampire

Laservampire Down with this sort of thing

Eh, canceled my pre-order on these. I'll wait it out to see if the mastering is any good, and that there are genuine improvements in the source material.

17. Bill

Bill Senior Member

Good move. I got burned with the October 2011 remasters supposedly overseen my Mac and Kenny that are just the same old. Fool me once....

18. noahjld

noahjld Der Wixxer

Box set (if still on for release) for me.Where's the "Wham,Bam" demo with completely different lyrics/sound which is only available on an Immediate European compilation,"Be My Baby","Groovy" etc??

19. JohnBR

JohnBR Forum Resident

Box set for me too, if it's sensibly packaged and includes everything from The Anthology 1965-1967 and Darlings of Wapping Wharf Laundrette. Otherwise, those two comps have everything I need. If I decide to pass on the box set (or if it never materializes), then I might get the Ogdens deluxe edition because I love that album enough to buy it for the mono mix and unreleased backing tracks.

20. Tristero

Tristero In possession of the future tense

Yeah, I'm wondering about this myself. I wish they'd either done the deluxe editions with all of the choice rare stuff OR the comprehensive box set--not both. As it is, they seem to be sprinkling the goodies pretty thinly here, milking the fans for all they're worth. I want to get excited about these reissues, but looking at these track listings, I'm not feeling it. All I can say is, the remastering better be spectacular!

Is there any decent live material available from these guys? I'm more a fan of their Immediate years, but I've heard a little earlier stuff (from the Marquee, featured in the All or Nothing video) that was pretty smokin'.

21. JohnBR

JohnBR Forum Resident

The only early live material I've heard is on From the Beginning, but the live material on The Autumn Stone is excellent. Another reason I wish they had included it with the deluxe edition series. Maybe there's still a chance it will come out later? It could easily be augmented with additional live tracks from the period (if they exist), and the remaining post-Ogdens studio tracks.

22. hoggydoggy

hoggydoggy Forum Resident

Wasn't a deluxe of The Autumn Stone mentioned in the original press release? In which case, I'm hoping we'll get a tracklisting soon.

23. noahjld

noahjld Der Wixxer

Good sounding live material? Nope. I'd get the "BBC sessions" CD.

24. Shocking Venus

Shocking Venus New Member

(Electronically Processed Stereo)

WHY?

A total waste of space. The use of such monstrosities really sank The Move remasters for me. They sounded awful back in the day and they sound even worse now "digitally remastered" - you genuinely can't polish a turd when it comes to using fake stereo nonsense. A shameless way to pad these sets out.

25. swedgin

swedgin Forum Resident

I had really high hopes for these but I've also cancelled my preorder. Will maybe pick up some of the more interesting bonus tracks on iTunes.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.