Small Faces 2012

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by zphage, Dec 24, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Laservampire

Laservampire Down with this sort of thing

No idea yet, but Rob Caiger is in charge of everything. That's why there's fake stereo (!) being included and why the sound on these is probably going to SUCK, judging by the Move reissues (which were mixed and mastered in the most inept way possible)

2. fitzysbuna

fitzysbuna Senior Member

Rob Caiger is ok its just people the gets to do mastering like peter mew on those first 2 ELO albums.

3. Rundfunk

Rundfunk Forum Resident

After one million Small Faces comps and reissues with turd-generation tape, and finally they get to use the original master. But I have no hope whatsoever that this will be a nice sounding set and your assessment of Rob Caiger is ominous to say the least...

But please, please prove me wrong! Or else I hope some guy can leak copies of the flat transfers done for these issues.

I want Ogden's!

4. rediffusion

rediffusion Forum Resident

5. jdlaw

jdlaw Forum Resident

6. Strummergas

Strummergas Senior Member

So we're less than a month away before the deluxe editions come out in UK. Has anyone heard these masterings yet? Are they the same as the 2011 releases and if so, how do they compare to the 1996 Decca releases and the Castle releases from about 10 years ago?

7. ashulman

ashulman Forum Resident

I have them for review and I'm new to the Small Faces so I can't compare to other releases. Plus I've only been listening on computer speakers, so its not fair to comment. All I know is I really like the music and its powerful stuff. Some of that punch may be a result of modern mastering.

8. Bill

Bill Senior Member

A sidebar to the cover story on the group in the new Mojo raves about the remastering, characterzing it as finally worthy of the material, or something to that effect.

9. Electric

Electric The Medium is the Massage

Sorry if this has been discussed already, but that set looks to be the same as the 35th anniversary 2CD set I bought in 2010. Is the difference in the mastering? Thanks for any help.

10. Matthew B.

Matthew B. Scream Quietly

Yeah, Jon Savage was praising it to the skies in his review. It's odd to see that much discussion of mastering in a regular music magazine, though he didn't get very specific beyond mentioning the improved tape sources.

11. Tristero

Tristero In possession of the future tense

Was there a favorite pick of the four in terms of improved sonics and bonus material? At this point, I'll probably just limit myself to one and see how I like it. Since I already have that two disc version of the Immediate debut, I'll probably go with Ogden's--curious to hear the mono version there.

Any more information would be welcome. I was keeping my expectations low, but now I find my anticipation rising. Is there estimated timeline for the rarities box?

12. Matthew B.

Matthew B. Scream Quietly

I don't have it in front of me, but not that I remember. He sounded most enthusiastic about the remastering when discussing their debut, but that's possibly just because he wanted to mention it early in the review.

Mind you, I have no idea how much Savage cares about forum bugaboos like compression etc., and my guess is not very much.

13. Strummergas

Strummergas Senior Member

Thanks folks. I haven't been able to pick up the latest MOJO yet, so I didn't see any of those reviews. I have them all pre-ordered, but after having just pre-ordered the Kinks BBC box, I was looking to see if I could save a few bucks by cancelling these if there wasn't an improvement over what I already have.

Looks like the jury is still out though. I hold some opinions stated on this board higher than most journalists.

14. ashulman

ashulman Forum Resident

This is probably the most overwhelming review I've had to think about it since its so much material and I hardly knew any of it. As far as sonics on the bonus material, it all sounds great to my ears on limited equipment. Certainly nothing sounds compromised in any way. I don't see how a fan of the band is going to be disappointed. I can say that the master of Ogdens for example is a lot more in your face than what's out there on Spotify. It doesn't sound overcompressed to me though

15. maclean

maclean Forum Resident

The tracklist that has been circulating for the last months suggests that the first Immediate DeLuxe has actually less tracks than the 35th anniversary edition. For instance, the stereo versions of I Can't Make It, I'm Only Dreaming and I Fell Much Better seem to be missing on the DL. Maybe ashulman can confirm that.

16. Electric

I'm a little clueless about the versions. Have there been two issues already with a 3rd one coming next month? Which version is the one I have (35th anniv.)?

17. maclean

maclean Forum Resident

According to amazon, your 2cd 35 anniv edition has 24+24 tracks, whereas the 2cd DL has only 22+23.

On the other hand, there are several 1cd editions.

18. Electric

To clarify, the 2cd DL is the one coming out? And this DL has less tracks than the 35th (non DL)?

19. maclean

maclean Forum Resident

Yes and, according to amazon.co.uk, yes. DL = DeLuxe, by the way.

20. sharedon

sharedon Forum Zonophone

IIRC, the MOJO piece says first time from the masters. Wonder if that's true.

21. Hard Panner

Hard Panner Baroque Popsike & Fuzz

I'm hoping for stereo where there hasn't been stereo before.

22. Laservampire

Laservampire Down with this sort of thing

Do you have the actual packages or just the CDs? Any note of who mastered them?

23. howlinrock

howlinrock Forum Resident In Memoriam

I took a leap of faith and pre-ordered all 4 DE from Amazon UK. I can't tell you how many versions I already own of each from vinyl to CD's. I'm a big fan to say the least and this is in the hope that new source masters will show a improvement in sound. Then "I Feel Much Better" ..... we'll see.

24. fitzysbuna

fitzysbuna Senior Member

I thought it was only three ?

Ogden's Nut Gone Flake (Deluxe Edition)
    Small Faces Immediate Album (Deluxe Edition)
    From The Beginning (Deluxe Edition)

25. swedgin

swedgin Forum Resident

Well there's fake stereo on the Decca album if that floats anyone's boat.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.