OPPO BDP-95 Audiophile Universal Blu-ray/SACD/DVD-A player

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by SamS, Nov 26, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. SamS

SamS Forum Legend Thread Starter

Music Direct put up quite a bit of info on this upcoming player:

http://www.musicdirect.com/product/89632

Wait until ya see the rear! ;)

Attached Files:

2. Blair G.

Blair G. Senior Member

Can't wait to find out what the SACD performance is compared to players in a similar price range like the Marantz SA-8004.

I realize that Marantz does not do DVD of any kind, but I'm hoping the Oppo can compete thereby giving us Blu-ray & DVD for free.

3. KeithH

KeithH Success With Honor...then and now

It looks nice. I like the simple front panel.

4. JonUrban

JonUrban SHF Member #497

Oh great. Guess now I *HAVE* to get one. Looks like my 83 will be joining the others on eBay, but not quite yet. I have to get through all of the Christmas stuff first. (Then me!) :D

5. darkmatter

darkmatter Gort Astronomer Staff

Glad I was slow in saving up for the 83, as long as we get a UK importer :sigh:

6. Blair G.

Blair G. Senior Member

I meant the SA-8004 in particular does not do DVD/BD.

Their new UD-7005 may be a nice player too, perhaps more comparable to the 95.

7. The fact that it sports balanced stereo outputs has already been made public. Is that what you are alluding to? ;)

8. PMC7027

PMC7027 Forum Hall Of Fame

Does it decode HDCD?

9. 81828384

81828384 Forum Resident

I can't imagine it won't, but I am curious to get confirmation on this as well. This could finally be "the" universal player for me.

10. SBurke

SBurke Nostalgia Junkie

So . . . when do we get to see the back panel?

The front is very stylish.

11. LeeS

LeeS Music Fan

That's what she said!

12. Ted Bell

Ted Bell Forum Dentist

Forgive my ignorance with this question: I already have a great SACD & CD player (modified SCD777ES), will the ESS DAC make any difference with the Blu-Ray audio output?

Just got my 93 delivered and I'm wondering if I should've waited for the 95.

13. SamS

Ted,

I had a modded SCD-1 when I first got the BDP-83SE. The OPPO sounded better to me, and I sold my Sony. The new BDP-95 has the potential to be better than the BDP-83SE it replaces. I say keep the '93 and get the '95 too :laugh: ;)

Yes, the improved DAC improved Blu-ray (analog) sound in addition to CD/SACD.

14. therockman

therockman Senior Member In Memoriam

Have you laid your hands on one yet?

15. SamS

I don't have a BDP-95, not sure if I'll get the opportunity to try one, pre-release. However, I know a fair bit about it, and I think everyone will be a happy camper when it comes out. The sub $1000 price tag is also very nice, for the features you get.

16. SBurke

SBurke Nostalgia Junkie

Any indication of whether the unit will have a USB input for d/a conversion of PC files? That could make it an all-round very sweet thing.

17. SamS

If I'm understanding your question, none of the OPPO players with USB input work like a USB DAC. They have to read file formats from the USB drive, i.e. not streaming from a PC.

18. jeffrey walsh

jeffrey walsh Senior Member

Anyone here own a Cambridge blu ray player and have you compared it to the Oppo? The 3d feature on the Oppo doesn't do much for me. The Cambridge is almost half the price with HDCD decoding too.

19. SBurke

SBurke Nostalgia Junkie

Yep, that's exactly what I was wondering; thank you for the reply. Too bad about that, that would have been a real terrific feature. There are some players that do that, no? Maybe I'm just imagining things. I guess though it wouldn't be too hard to set up a portable drive with the right kind of file/folder taxonomy and make it work.

20. Spitfire

Spitfire Senior Member

The OPPO player most similar to the Cambridge player is the discontinued BDP-80. Cambridge claims their player has some proprietary circuitry compared to the OPPO.

21. SamS

I don't know of one that works like you're describing, but I don't know every player. I agree, to have it like you're describing would be very nice.

Using the OPPO players as a playback device for a connected hard drive with music is clunky, at best. FLAC tags are not supported, so you'd be browsing by file names. You'd be better off with something like AppleTV or Squeezebox. Yes, those cost a bit of money (not much) but the user experience is going to be much better.

22. Blair G.

Blair G. Senior Member

23. LeeS

LeeS Music Fan

Ooooh, balanced. :love:

24. Spitfire

Spitfire Senior Member

Note about not being able to upgrade the BDP-93 to the BDP-95:

Note - Although the BDP-95 shares the same playback platform as the BDP-93, it is designed from the ground up with a different chassis and many different components optimized for the analog audio performance. For this reason it is not possible to upgrade a BDP-93 to gain the BDP-95's enhanced audio performance by replacing parts.

25. LeeS

LeeS Music Fan

I saw that. That little note may cost a few of us $479. :D

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.