OPPO BDP-95 Audiophile Universal Blu-ray/SACD/DVD-A player

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by SamS, Nov 26, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. SamS

SamS Forum Legend Thread Starter

Yes, as long as your Classe CP-700 can accept DSD over HDMI. Based on a quick look, I don't see that capability. If you must use SPDIF, you're going to be limited to the redbook layer of applicable SACDs, just as with any similar SACD player.

2. roboss38

roboss38 Forum Resident

I've been looking for an all in one solution to replace my Modwright Denon 3910. I think this will be the player for the job. I really looking forward to February or March.

3. Fido

Fido Scootertrash

I am actually using a different preamp now(not the Classe). I was just wondering if SACD data out of say the Oppo will stream into the DAC of my new preamp? The Oppo would decode the SACD and just let it flow as normal into the DAC, correct ? My new preamp uses the latest Burr-Brown DAC's.

please forgive my ignorance..heh :)

4. kaleidakol

kaleidakol Active Member

OPPO 95

I am sure it will be a great machine

5. ifoundout

ifoundout New Member

Do we already know if the BDP-95 won't be in the $500 price range?

6. SamS

$999 MSRP, or thereabouts.

7. LeeS

LeeS Music Fan

I think I read it was projected at $979 but I could be wrong.

8. Puma Cat

Puma Cat Forum Resident

$979 is the price I saw as the quoted MSRP also.

9. darkmatter

darkmatter Gort Astronomer Staff

10. SamS

Music Direct is showing $999 (was $979) but official pricing has not been announced.

11. darkmatter

darkmatter Gort Astronomer Staff

My guess is £949

12. jh901

jh901 Forum Resident

Release date yet?

13. Puma Cat

Puma Cat Forum Resident

Feb 2011...

14. If your preamp has a HDMI 1.3a jack, you can send a SACD DSD bitstream to it. Otherwise, you won't be able to use it to decode DSD from SACD's. You can use it to decode the redbook (regular CD PCM) layer present on many SACD's, but that's kind of defeating the purpose of playing an SACD.

15. ifoundout

ifoundout New Member

How was the previous model at streaming Netflix? Not all blu-ray players do that well. I've heard about slowness, skipping, clunky interface, etc (with other players).

16. Music Geek

Music Geek Confusion will be my epitaph

I see that the BDP-95EU specs mention

"eSATA & Dual USB 2.0 ports with NTFS support" and
    "SACD, DVD-Audio/Video, HDCD, WAV & FLAC"

I think that means that you can connect a hard disc with FLAC or WAV files and play them directly. Am I wrong?

17. SamS

The BDP-93 does pretty well at streaming Netflix. The user interface is a tad better on the PS3, but still manageable. I have had no problems with picture quality. The '95 will behave the same.

Yes, it supports FLAC and WAV via hard driver or even over your network as a UPnP client. However, the interface is rather weak. It is fine if you have a USB stick with 50 FLACs on it and you want to listen to something quick. If you have thousands of songs stored on a hard drive and want to play them regularly, invest in a Squeezebox or similar.

18. Music Geek

I have a PC connected to my receiver for FLAC playback, however plugging my hard disk directly into the Oppo would be much quicker (PC takes a bit to boot up). Unfortunately I must rule out the Squeezebox because I have a lot of multichannel FLAC files (ripped from DVDs and DVD-As) and the Squeezebox is stereo only.
    Can you please elaborate on the "weak interface"? I guess it supports folder navigation at least....

19. SamS

Folder navigation is the only thing available, and sometimes crashes. Tags are not supported, nor is artwork. Multichannel FLAC is OK, but varies with firmware.

How many multichannel FLACs do you have?

If I was you.... I'd buy a 16GB or 32GB USB drive, stick the multichannel FLACs on there, and use a Squeezebox for everything else.

20. Music Geek

Thanks for your answer.
    I have plenty of multichannel FLACs: All Depeche Mode, all Bjork, all Genesis, many Nick Cave, many King Crimson, and more....
    Let's see what the price of the Oppo is going to be.... It looks like my PC is probably going to stay because buying an Oppo and a Squeezebox sounds a bit expensive if the only advantage is faster boot time.

21. KariK

KariK Forum Resident

So is BDP-95EU the Europe version?

22. Music Geek

Yes. All details here:

http://www.oppo-bluray.co.uk/

There is also a Finnish distributor listed on the website.

23. KariK

KariK Forum Resident

Thank you for this information. :goodie:

I was so dissapointed about the previous euro-models cancellation and I have been checking Marek's site (Finnish distributor) from time to time but haven't noticed this. There is already 93 listed, but not any mention about 95 yet. I was very skeptical if this is going to happen.

24. Puma Cat

Puma Cat Forum Resident

The Oppo BD-95 is not, or never was, intended to be used as a standalone DAC, it's primary function is as a Blu-Ray video disc player and secondarily as an audio disc player.

25. Music Geek

Yes I guess you can tell by the fact that Oppo calls it a BluRay player :)

Still they list FLAC/WAV playback in the specs so even if it isn't its main function, it is also an integrated DAC.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.