OPPO BDP-95 Audiophile Universal Blu-ray/SACD/DVD-A player

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by SamS, Nov 26, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. etzeppy

etzeppy Forum Resident

Would something like this work and would it outperform the standard RCA output?

2. Music Geek

Music Geek Confusion will be my epitaph

So, as far as I can see, if I don't use the analogue output then the 95 and 93 are basically the same.... Is there any other difference I haven't spotted?

3. Terry

Terry Senior Member

Nice pic. Do you have to use two HDMIs, one for audio and one for visual, or will one to the receiver do the trick? Thanks.

4. shokhead

shokhead Head shok and you still don't what it is. HA!

Everything runs through a HDMI. 2 outs so one to the TV and the other through your receiver. That way you don't always have to turn on your receiver if it's late and you just want to watch a movie.

5. The video circuitry in the 95 is powered by the exact same switching power supply as used in the 93. The linear power supply (including the torroidal transformer) is only used to power the audio board. Yup, the 95 has two completely separate power supplies.

So no, there should be no difference at all in the video performance of the 93 and 95.

6. Check the Cardas website for XLR-to-RCA adapters.

7. No, other than the case, front panel controls, a fan for the 95 vs. fanless for the 93, and shielding for the switching power supply. Remember, the linear power supply is only for the audio board.

Also, the IEC jack appears to have a ground vs. ungrounded for the 93. There is also a universal voltage switch for the power supply. Those are about all the differences I am able to spot. SamS, anything I missed?

8. That would work perfectly and, in my experience, although the Monoprice cables are ridiculously inexpensive, they sound pretty good and the build quality is quite good--equivalent to stuff made by Belkin and Monster and priced 20x higher. Is it "Audiophile grade"? Probably not according to most people on the forum-- but then again, most people in the real world use Monster or Belkin and Monoprice is definitely competitive with them, if not better.

9. SamS

SamS Forum Legend Thread Starter

The switching power supply for the video is covered in the '95, as I understand. I call that "improved", but I don't purport that it relates to a video improvement ;)

I believe that is it. (EDIT: the '95 has only a single front display vs. the dual on the '93). My '95 was scheduled for delivery Friday, but ice and snow have forced it to sit in a FedEX warehouse somewhere :shrug: Maybe Monday/Tuesday it will arrive and I can take it apart.

The main reasoning behind dual HDMIs is for one (3D) to be run straight to a 3D display, while the other can be sent with audio and/or video to an older, non-HDMI 1.4 receiver for sound switching. The Marvell video processing is only available on the HDMI1 output, although HDMI2 provides respectable video on its own.

10. GARCRA

GARCRA Forum Resident

11. etzeppy

etzeppy Forum Resident

12. Bruce Burgess

Bruce Burgess Senior Member

I have a question concerning the video quality of these Oppo players. I have a 37" Panasonic 1080 high definition TV. Would I notice a big difference in the video quality, if I upgraded from a basic Samsung Bluray player to an Oppo 93 or 95?

13. SamS

Probably not, especially on Blu-rays.

14. stricee

stricee Forum Resident

ok have had 3 days of listening to the bdp 95 which replaced my 83 and can absolutely say that on 2 channel anolog the sound is nothing short of amazing..clear...smooth...and precise...with a phenominal soundstage am very very pleased...havent listened to multichannel yet but that will come this week...what a great player

15. martyh

martyh New Member

Would there be any point in buying one of these machines with an AVR?

Only got the Oppo 980 Bitstreaming PCM over HDMI into a Denon 2310 at the moment. Got MA RX6's.

I dont have room for Pre/Power amps, so no option there.

16. etzeppy

etzeppy Forum Resident

Thank you for the report. Which outputs were used in your testing (balanced or standard)?

17. stricee

stricee Forum Resident

standard...forgot to mention that it is one gorgeous machine...

18. stricee

stricee Forum Resident

siltech interconnects to a pioneer sc07

19. Digital-G

Digital-G Senior Member

Thanks for the info. :thumbsup: It would be nice to know what other equipment you're listening to.

I'm debating on pre-ordering and waiting for other reviews before pulling the trigger. It's promising if this unit is actually shipping already.

20. stricee

stricee Forum Resident

klipsch rf7...thats pretty much it... pioneer elite sc07 avr...purchased it after email from oppo...was waiting for this..arrived at my door on friday

21. stricee

stricee Forum Resident

prior to going avr had mcormack power amp with audible illusions mod 3 preamp to pioneer elite universal...this setup blows that away....no joke...cds never sounded this good

22. etzeppy

etzeppy Forum Resident

You will need to utilize the analog outputs on the BDP-95 to take advantage of the upgrades. Otherwise, just stick with the 980. If you want Blu Ray capabilities, then go with with BDP-93 at 1/2 the cost.

23. SamS

BDP-95 in the house:

Attached Files:

24. 81828384

81828384 Forum Resident

Man, that player looks GREAT!

I was supposed to have mine Friday, but Fedex weather delays have put it at arrival tomorrow. This is my "last" digital source, at least for several years, since it does everything I need a player to do at the perfect price point.

25. Dok

Dok Senior Member

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.