OPPO BDP-95 Audiophile Universal Blu-ray/SACD/DVD-A player

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by SamS, Nov 26, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. pjaizz

pjaizz Forum Resident

2. SamS

SamS Forum Legend Thread Starter

Although I have used the '83, '83SE and '93 as digital transports (typically via HDMI), I have not done any extensive A/B'ing between the digital outputs.

However, I don't think any of the three sounded different than any of the others. I currently use the '83SE and '93 as transports simultaneously, and neither stands out as better or worse than the other.

3. shokhead

shokhead Head shok and you still don't what it is. HA!

How does the denon dbp-1611ud for $399 list compare?

4. SamS

I had the DBP-1610 for a while, it was not very impressive. I don't know how that would related to the performance of the DBP-1611.

5. shokhead

6. SamS

That is not a review:

It appears to be based on the same Funai-sourced design as the DBP-1610. I would not expect miracles from its analog section.

7. shokhead

Thanks

8. Ted Bell

Ted Bell Forum Dentist

Just got the pre-purchase e-mail for the 95. Sent in my order! :goodie:

9. shokhead

So for under 500 bucks would the Oppo BDP-93 be the best uni player out there?

10. GARCRA

GARCRA Forum Resident

Just got the same e-mail. $999 Ships Feb. 1-4. Or wait until sometime in March. Haven't pulled the trigger yet.

11. I got the email earlier today along with the link to the secret web page. Considering there is no price break for ordering early, I'm not going to do it.

12. stricee

stricee Forum Resident

pulled the trigger on mine too....price break?...dont think will be one

13. SamS

Looks like I will be getting a BDP-95 after all, I hope to have it this week.

P.S. New official firmware coming for the '93/95 very soon!

14. darkmatter

darkmatter Gort Astronomer Staff

Looking forward to reading your report Sam, might get one later in the year :)

15. stricee

stricee Forum Resident

checked status of my order....says it shipped....yipee

16. smackrabbit

smackrabbit Forum Resident

I should be spending some quality time with the 93 and 95 in the next week or so, though I haven't decided about ordering one for myself since I already have the 83SE, though we will see if some time with it changes that perspective.

17. SBurke

SBurke Nostalgia Junkie

Good news for you and those of us who are interested in your review as well.

If I may be so bold as to post a request, might you offer some thoughts on how the two-channel SACD sound compares to some of the other products in the "line" (e.g. 83, 83SE, 93), and whether the step up should be worth it to a mid-fi meathead like myself? :D

18. SamS

I'm confident I will be able to make such comparisons. However, it will certainly be a couple of weeks after I receive the player before I post any detailed commentary.

Although I don't have the unit yet, I've been told to expect very high quality internal parts (relays and such), capacitive-touch buttons on the front panel, and objective measurement performance that is quite extraordinary.

19. SBurke

SBurke Nostalgia Junkie

Excellent! No rush. :cheers:

20. Electric

Electric The Medium is the Massage

So if the BDP-95 is overkill for me what would anyone recommend I replace my Oppo 970HD with? I'm finally ready for Blu Ray but all I want to do is play discs and have a good backup SACD player. I don't need networking or 3D. I like Oppo but don't want to spend $1000 on a new player. Thanks.

21. Attached Files:

22. LeeS

LeeS Music Fan

^The pics of the back of the 95 are more impressive.

23. Linear power supply and back of unit per LeeS request:

Attached Files:

24. LeeS

LeeS Music Fan

25. Hey, I can't take credit for these--all I am doing is uploading from the site I linked!

If you look at the big pic of the audio board, it actually looks pretty nice. Some good National semi opamps, WIMA caps, voltage regulators, clean layout. Plus, two 8-channel ESS DAC's, one for the 7.1 outputs, the other set up in a stacked configuration for the two channel output.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.