OPPO BDP-95 Audiophile Universal Blu-ray/SACD/DVD-A player

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by SamS, Nov 26, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. etzeppy

etzeppy Forum Resident

The only other choice in the OPPO line is the BDP-93 at about half the price. It still has 3D and networking, so you might look at other brands for an even lower cost alternative. Denon has a universal player for around $400.

2. monewe

monewe Forum Resident

We have one as Oppo have their own UK website. Prices are a little dearer than the US but still reasonable.

3. SamS

SamS Forum Legend Thread Starter

The op-amps for the balanced outputs are different (better) than what is used for single ended.

4. Electric

Electric The Medium is the Massage

After calling around, the BDP-93 seems to be the best bang for the buck. The Oppo 970 I have has been great. Maybe I should rethink getting the BDP-95? It might be more of a match with the rest of my system having just bought a new LCD/LED flat screen. Bottom line for me is how much better is its video and audio quality over the BDP-93 for the extra $500?

5. SamS

The video quality of the BDP-93 and 95 is going to be the same. You'll probably have to wait a bit longer for audio comparisons, as '95s just started shipping out in the past couple of days.

6. etzeppy

etzeppy Forum Resident

As SamS noted, the video will be the same. The audio will be better (at least it better be) if you use the analog outputs. If you are inclined to use digital audio, there is really no point at all to going with the 95.

7. Fido

Fido Scootertrash

So would this Oppo unit make a good transport for listening to my DVD-A's? I would run the signal into a separate DAC. Plus I could play Blue Rays too...?

8. SamS

Not really. This player costs 2X the price of the BDP-93 because of the upgraded analog section.

Are you going to send redbook via coax to a DAC? What about SACD and DVD-A?

You could play Blu-rays, but they'll only output 24/48 over coax/optical.

9. Electric

Does the 95 also not have a dedicated stereo analogue out? Not really an issue anyway, is it? One would just use the L and R outputs from the surround outs, right?

10. Fido

Fido Scootertrash

I am entertaining the idea of a very nice SACD player. If I do this I may sell my other CD player which also plays DVD-A's. This SACD player also has external inputs for it's DAC as does my preamp. I thought I could get something like this Oppo just to play my DVD-A's and to watch Blue Ray movies or whatever...?

11. SamS

[​IMG]

12. Electric

Thanks for the photo of the 95. I'm leaning toward the 93 now. Any issues with no dedicated stereo out on it?

13. Turnaround

Turnaround Senior Member

This unit is now available for pre-order on Oppo's website.

Can anyone comment on pre-ordering from Oppo, versus waiting until after its official release. I am thinking of issues like availability and whether their past models have had early kinks that needed to be ironed out.

Thanks!

14. SamS

The '95 uses the same firmware as the BDP-93, so the "kinks" are uncommon with the current (shipping) firmware.

BTW, this is the "official" release of the BDP-95. The BDP-95 has been developed and extensively tested for months no. I would not expect any surprises.

15. stereoguy

stereoguy Its Gotta Be True Stereo!

Hold on a second here...

I'm a bit confused on the comments that the video from the 95 is going to be "the same" as from the 93.

I thought that the 95 was going to use a newer version of the chip used for video upconverting. By that reasoning, I'm thinking the 95 is going to have better video than the 93.

thoughts?

16. thebeatles67

thebeatles67 Forum Resident In Memoriam

The video of the 93 and 95 will be the same. The 95 will have the dedicated upgrade on the audio side for analog outs. Similiar to the diff in the old 83 vs 83SE.

17. SamS

Same video on both '93 and '95.

Unless... you believe the improved power supply of the '95 will have a positive effect on the HDMI performance. That's probably one of those 'see it to believe it' claims, but I don't believe OPPO is making such a statement.

Don't get mixed up with the '83, which is a whole different beast.

18. Macman

Macman Senior Member

Anyone got their mitts on this yet?

19. SamS

Mine should be here today, weather permitting.

20. Macman

Macman Senior Member

I look forward to your comments. :)

21. shokhead

shokhead Head shok and you still don't what it is. HA!

So I'm guessing if your running everything through an HDMI to a good receiver then for 100 bucks less the Denon 1611 will work as well as the Oppo 93 for DVD-A/SACD/Blu-Ray.

22. KALEX

KALEX Forum Resident

Sam, I don't have balanced inputs on the integrated HT amp (Pio SC-07) to which I would be connecting the 95. Due to the superior op-amps, do you think I would appreciate any improved performance if connecting the SC-07's single-ended inputs to the 95's balanced outputs via adapter cables (with balanced and single-ended terminals) as opposed to just going entirely single-ended?

23. SamS

The OPPOs should have better video deinterlacing. But for audio, yeah the difference in price could be hard to justify. Remember, we're talking about the $999 BDP-95 in this thread. $499 is for the BDP-93.

Based on what I know of the architecture, I think there is a potential for a slight improvement using the XLR outputs to a single-ended adapter.

24. SamS

Here's some info about the BDP-95's design that OPPO gave the OK for me to relate:

25. jh901

jh901 Forum Resident

I might be interested in taking the adapter route if the XLR will remain better. Are there reasonable priced single-ended adapters known to perform well?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.