OPPO BDP-95 Audiophile Universal Blu-ray/SACD/DVD-A player

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by SamS, Nov 26, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. SamS

SamS Forum Legend Thread Starter

Bad idea.

2. SergioRZ

SergioRZ Well-Known Member

I'm sure it is a very bad idea... just wondering if it was ever actually tested by a normal end-user... :righton:

3. SergioRZ

Also, it seems that there is no definitive answer regarding the fan noise and possible differences between US and EU versions...

Anyway, after several months using the 95 EU... I've decided to take action towards eliminating the noise, or at least making it non-audible from my listening position.

I've read reports saying that the fan never moves if the lid is off... so I'm going to try that first as it doesn't involve making any changes (and eventually damaging the unit), it might be a good solution for me, the 95 is placed on the top shelf of a very high furniture piece, the top (lid) can't be seen from the listening spot (and almost from no other place in the room), only the sides are visible and they can be painted or "covered" with something to make them look better. :righton:

I absolutely love the 95... it sounds amazing with everything I put in it, impressive value for money... but I'm very disappointed with the fan noise, it raises the noise floor in the room substantialy (specially at night and when playing very silent pieces of music). Sincerely, I can't wait for the next model, with even better electronics and... NO FAN! I'm sure Oppo will do that with the replacement, if they are serious about getting a piece of the "audiophile" market share.

4. You could try replacing the fan with a Nexus silent model.

5. After a few months now I have gotten a little more used to the fan noise, but you're right during a very quiet piece of music it is still very annoying. I don't like to switch the 95 on and off all the time. Even when I play CDs on my 555 the fan of the 95 kicks in once in a while.

That being said, I'm still amazed by the outstanding DSD playback in analog out stereo.

6. TarnishedEars

TarnishedEars Forum Resident

Has anybody directly compared the 95 to the 93? I have a 93 and think that it is a very respectable sounding unit when in DSD mode. Although it is definitely not the equal of my VSE Level 6.5 moded Sony SCD-1 on my two-channel system. But the Sony doesn't do multi-channel, and so I'm using the 93 on my HT setup.

7. Bill Mac

Bill Mac Forum Resident

Are you using the 7.1 analog output or HDMI?

Bill

8. SamS

9. Bill Mac

Bill Mac Forum Resident

10. TarnishedEars

I'm using the analog outputs.

11. TarnishedEars

12. SergioRZ

Removing the top lid from the 95 works great, the fan never even moves, the fan noise is gone with music playback from CD, SACD, USB and eSATA...

However... with the lid off, I just found that it makes a LOT of noise when playing BluRay discs :( Really a lot of noise, like the fan but even worse (higher pitched), seems to originate in the drive spinning the disc (maybe much faster?)...

So... my miracle solution... is not perfect :(

13. SamS

Richard Kern.

14. SergioRZ

On a different subject... I've been experiencing a strange problem with my 95 for the last couple of months...

Sometimes during playback of blu-ray movies, the bitstream from the coaxial output simply stops working... the video keeps rolling, but the sound just disappears. It has happened with a few different blu-ray movies, at least three different ones...

To get the sound back it is necessary to stop the movie completely (stop button twice) and start playing from the start, then hit the next button to get back to the chapter where sound was interrupted. Only sometimes the problem happens again... not on the exact same spot, but around the same time...

I can't seem to find other users complaining about this... maybe it's nor a common issue?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.