Yes - Close to the Edge - Friday Music vinyl in November *

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Scott Wheeler, Oct 4, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Scott Wheeler

Scott Wheeler Forum Resident Thread Starter

2. OE3

OE3 Senior Member

I think Joe Reagoso (Friday Music) did an excellent job with the Boz Scaggs s/t 180g reissue. I know nothing else about him or the company.

3. -Ben

-Ben Senior Member

4. Sckott

Sckott Hand Tighten Only.

Oh yikes.

Does anyone have a problem finding a decent copy of this one?

5. Gary

Gary Nauga Gort! Staff

I just wish Steve was to do the mastering (like the Fragile release.... )

6. Yes, I have not had good feedback on the reissued America title.

Joe Reagoso from http://www.fridaymusic.com/index.html
    Yes "Close To The Edge" Half Speed Mastered Vinyl... wow!
    I'd love to hear more info on some specifics about them and how they master the vinyl...

7. Pug

Pug The Prodigal Snob Returns!

I'm spinning this right now and I have to agree that he did an excellent job. I'm looking forward to the Yes LP. :agree:

8. Pug

I have several copies of the US LP. It sounds pretty good but it could be better.

9. Scott Wheeler

I think there is serious room for improvement on this one. I am hoping for the best.

10. Sckott

Right, but I don't think it's going to get better, even with what they're going to ask for on price.

I hate it when companies take vinyl that's sorta easy to find, claim audiophile and charge huge money for it. Oh well.

11. Scott Wheeler

Isn't that what Analog Productions did with Fragile?

12. OE3

OE3 Senior Member

What about Rumours and Sweet Baby James? It's a weak argument. This is not Boston s/t where there are a couple million amazing-sounding records floating around. I've never heard a US pressing of CTTE that didn't sound mediocre. (And I'm the guy who takes a Numark portable around town for in-store auditioning.).
    I still want to know more about Joe Reagoso and Friday Music. Where did he come from?

13. Sckott

Well that's what I mean by "claim". Fragile is pretty amazing.

True, those Atlantics are ok, but I'm really, really shooting the messanger. I can see this thing sucking from a long way away.

14. Tullman

Tullman Senior Member

Steve put his own finger print on the mastering, which makes it sound unlike any other release. You know, plenty of bass and midrange magic. I don't know why Tom Port hates it so much.

15. Pug

Because he can't sell his copies for $300+ if there is a great sounding LP out there for $30.

16. VinylNutz

VinylNutz Active Member

My guess is that Tom Post probably criticises it because most of us won't buy a $500 hot stamper from him when the best sounding version is $24 on new vinyl. I take his reviews of new audiophile pressings with a grain of salt. He hated Steve's Blue as well and I just listened to it a couple of nights ago and it continues to blow me away.

yesstiles likes this.
  17. VinylNutz

VinylNutz Active Member

You were too quick for me!

18. Jvalvano

Jvalvano Senior Member

I emailed friday music and asked about the mastering. I'll post if I get anything back.

19. ledsox

ledsox Senior Member

From the Friday Music site...
    --------------
    Again, we are very pleased to have the classic Yes catalog on 180 Gram Audiophile Vinyl here at Friday Music.

With this first installment of Close To The Edge, we have truly been blessed and we thank you our customers for supporting our progressive rock and classic rock endeavors.

--------------

Looks like the first of many Yes 1/2 speed issues from these guys. Very Interesting...

20. yesstiles

yesstiles Senior Member

But will it be as good as the 1/2 speed already done by MFSL?

21. Scott Wheeler

Hopefully it will be much much better.

22. Guardian

Guardian Forum Resident

So I take it the MFSL wasn't that great? Can anyone post a sample of the MFSL?

23. PMC7027

PMC7027 Forum Hall Of Fame

I thought that the MFSL Lp was highly regarded. I haven't listened to mine in quite a while but I remember liking it the last time I played it.

24. Barnabas Collins

Barnabas Collins Senior Member

I have an early UK pressing (A-1, B-2) and it sounds good; probably the best sounding I've heard. I don't think Close to the Edge is a great sounding album to begin with so I'm not expecting much out of a re-issue. I've heard other US and UK pressings and several CD pressings, but nothing that blew me away. Having said that, I've not heard the MFSL, which I'd be very curious to hear.

25. Mike in OR

Mike in OR Through Middle-earth...onto Heart of The Sunrise

The MFSL CTTE is excellent.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.