Yes - Close to the Edge - Friday Music vinyl in November *

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Scott Wheeler, Oct 4, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Gang Twanger

Gang Twanger New Member

I've heard several people talk about the vinyl selection at their local Best Buy. In CT, the local Best Buys do not even carry vinyl at all. And furthermore, in my area, there is no "local record store". I hate it. This is supposed to be the richest state in the country.

2. MikeT

MikeT Prior Forum Cretin and Current Impatient Creep

My area also has a pretty high avg. salary per household also. This is an assumption on my part, but Best Buy might be trying vinyl in areas where their research has probably told them vinyl might sell, but not as strongly as in areas of CT. or NJ. Therefore if vinyl flys in those "test" areas, then it would follow that vinyl might do well across the country. Who knows, just my opinion.

3. Tullman

Tullman Senior Member

I went to Newbury Comics on Newbury St. yesterday and picked up this title.
    I agree with your assessment on the packaging. I too, was put back by the open
    shrink wrap. I asked the clerk if it was a return and, she said no.

Now, for the sound... I compared it with my MFSL and sorry to say the MFSL was considerably better on my system. Really, this new pressing is a disappointment. The MFSL sounded like it came from a better source. The Friday Music version was louder and harsher. The Bruford's snare had nice clean snap/ring on the MFSL, not quite so clean on the Friday pressing. In fact, the entire record had a much cleaner open sound on the MFSL.
    IMO, Friday Music did not use original master tapes. In their promo they state: As with all of our audiophile vinyl, we painstakingly have worked with the Atlantic Records source tapes to deliver what we feel is the definitive half speed master of this fine album. Half speed mastered by Joe Reagoso at Friday Music Studios and at Capitol Studios with Joe Reagoso and the legendary Ron McMaster, this album will become available in November.

Why did Reagoso need to go to Capitol Studios? Was this pressing brought into the digital domain somewhere along the line?

I wonder what people with older pressings think? Anyone?

I usually don't compare titles on the first listen, but something was lacking on this pressing that sent me to the record shelf to get the MFSL version. Sometimes it's apples and oranges, but not for me on this one.

This may be a great alternative for those of you that don't have an older pressing and if it sounds good on your systems then that is good for you guys. I think I will compare this title to the Barry's cd that I got from Jeff Carney.

4. CraigVC

CraigVC Senior Member

I went to a nearby Best Buy last night. They had some vinyl (just a few random items, such as new Queen box, new Metallica, new Police), but not this Yes reissue.

I'm happy with the MFSL LP, though, so considering some of the tepid reviews of this Friday Music reissue, I'll probably just stick with the MFSL (though Best Buy could've got me with an impulse buy if they'd had it in stock).

Craig(VC).

5. Runt

Runt Senior Member

Hi, Tullman. I've got the MFSL version, too. Haven't done a comparison yet, will probably do that tonight. The MFSL never really did much for me, actually, and left me somewhat unimpressed. In fact, I always questioned the source they used for that edition (although I'm not familiar with the background history of the MFSL pressing...) Just my two cents worth. Plus my two turntables aren't audiophile or high-end, so my review is based on listening at that level.

Also have a sealed early Atlantic pressing (with primo textured sleeve) that I am soooo tempted to open...but just can't bring myself to do it! (A discussion for the "Do You Open Sealed Albums" thread... :winkgrin:)

6. Guardian

Guardian Forum Resident

Well if you arent happy with the MFSL I'd be glad to take it off your hands :hide:

I dont consider this album a sonic masterpiece. Its very hard to find a good version of it as many of you guys know. It is no doubt a classic album but its a shame that its so hard to get a good mastering of.

7. Runt

Runt Senior Member

I'm not parting with it just yet, but when I do you'll be the first to know! :D

Now, you wouldn't happen to have an extra copy of the MFSL Trick of the Tale , would you...

8. Tullman

Tullman Senior Member

I just picked up a mint MFSL Trick of the Tale on ebay for $28.00. I couldn't believe it.

9. user19351

user19351 Active Member

I listened to the LP last night. The sound is excellent compared to other versions I've heard (including the MFSL).

I looked at an original cover in a used LP store today, and the original cover also seemed a bit fuzzy. I'll give them the benefit of the doubt on the cover.

The vinyl was ticky, especially during the quiet opening of side one. Too ticky to keep. I'll exchange this until I get a quiet one, but the mastering sounds like a winner to me.

10. Flatso

Flatso Forum Resident

Mine was ticky too

11. Runt

Runt Senior Member

Wow...nice grab! :righton:

12. Guardian

Guardian Forum Resident

I got my copy locally. The guy wanted $50 for it and I snagged it for $25 ;) Its really clean. There are 3 repeating ticks on side 2 but other than that its dead quiet! :D

13. Runt

Runt Senior Member

Cool. Kinda sounds like my MFSL Close To The Edge, which has what could best be described as a "scuff" that produces some ticks for about 20 seconds into the beginning of "And You And I" sadly...:shake: Other than that, minty.

BTW, I compared the two CTTE pressings last night. The MFSL edition does indeed sound nice and warm, but still has a bit of "dullness" (for want of a better word) to my ears. The Friday Music pressing is definitly crispier, but IMO this tends to lift the mix out of the fog. Squire's bass in particular really cuts through on this reissue. Again, who knows what source they used. I'm not playing any of this on audiophile-level equipment...just mid-level stuff. As always, YMMV.

14. Jvalvano

Jvalvano Senior Member

That's about what I paid for a mint copy last year. I think it came close to $30 with shipping. Great album! :righton:

15. Tullman

Tullman Senior Member

The price has come down on this title. It used to go for close to $100 for a mint copy. I wonder if the recent Genesis SACDs had anything to do with this price drop. I wouldn't give up my copy though, it is outstanding.

16. Stefan

Stefan Senior Member

I've only heard a couple of the old MFSL LPs (Sticky Fingers and Led Zeppelin II, but both suffered from a smiley face EQ approach and a sound that's hard to describe but lacking something, perhaps slam or midrange balance). Does their version of CTTE have that same mofi sound?

17. Scott Wheeler

Scott Wheeler Forum Resident Thread Starter

nope. It's pretty well balanced actually. It just doesn't have the detail, dynamics, frequency extension or soundstage size of the first Piros cut. It is a very polite version.

18. Paul K

Paul K Senior Member

I have two Piros cuts of this and the first one is quite bright...the second one isn't....

If you are speaking of frequency extension...I agree with you on the earliest GP cut...but I'm not so sure it's what this LP needed! Probably a bit less of the top and quite a bit more of the bottom!

19. Scott Wheeler

Scott Wheeler Forum Resident Thread Starter

The brightness is the fatal flaw of what would otherwise be the defintive version IMO. I personally can tame the brightness with cartridge loading and all the other virtues pretty much remain in tact. I do feel that lack of extension is very much needed now that I know it's there to be heard. I am always hoping that the next reissue, this time the Friday Music version, would be everything that the first Piros cut is without the excessive brightness and surface noise.

20. Paul K

Paul K Senior Member

It's pretty close to what you are seeking...
    Just I wish they would put the records into poly liners!

21. Stefan

Stefan Senior Member

But it can also go too much in the other direction. I found a Canadian reissue of CTTE a couple of years ago, KSD-19133. It has much more solid bass than my first copy, a Japanese pressing, but the top end is very dull and lifeless. Then I found a Canadian original pressing SD-7244, that's not only groove damaged, but also very bright with no low end. The Piros cut I have (someone identified it on here as a second), seems to be just about right but unfortunately, the loud passages all have groove damage. I'm still waiting for the Friday Music version I ordered a week ago to arrive, so hopefully I'll soon have a balanced version.

22. Tullman

Tullman Senior Member

I will be interested in hearing what you have to say about the Friday Music version. Stefan too.

23. Jvalvano

Jvalvano Senior Member

I just received my copy today from Friday Music. This is really fabulous. Other than loving this album I cannot claim to be an expert on all the various releases of CTTE that others have mentioned here. It sounds worlds better than the Atlantic I have. If I had to quantify one aspect I notice throughout it is that everything sounds more forward. I am hearing everything clearer. I can easily pick out the individual voices in the harmonies. The same goes for the separation of the instruments.

The vinyl is quiet. A few minor ticks so I can't claim it's dead quiet but pretty close. I'm really glad I got this release and anyone on the fence about this one I'd easily recommend it.

24. Ultimix

Ultimix Forum Resident

thanks for the update..

25. johnny33

johnny33 New Member

Ok. I am fixing to bite on this one... any other comments how this compares to the GP cut as far as brightness?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.