Yes - Close to the Edge - Friday Music vinyl in November *

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Scott Wheeler, Oct 4, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Tullman

Tullman Senior Member

I agree. I like my copy of the MFSL. Tom Port even praised the CTTE MFSL, until he got into the hot stamper racket.

2. Scott Wheeler

Scott Wheeler Forum Resident Thread Starter

I think the MoFi is pretty mediocre. My later issue U.K. pressing is better in every way and my original U.S. Piros blows it away. If the new one can match the first Piros mastering (his second version sucks) and can tame the brightness we will have a winner. I think there is actually room for improvement over and above that. Just look at what Steve and Kevin did with Fragile.

3. Tullman

Tullman Senior Member

Too often I see comments like this on here, only to find out it's really apples and oranges. Tom Port comes to mind.

4. Scott Wheeler

But I'm not selling anything here. Of course YMMV but we ae talking less than subtle differences here and not the sort of differences that most people find ify and a matter of taste. We are talking far greater dynamics, far greater articulation of low level detail, much bigger sound stage and a sense of much greater frequency extension.

5. Tullman

Tullman Senior Member

I know you aren't trying to sell anything.:)I just meant exaggerating the differences. MUCH? If I find a copy of the Piros, which has to be the first pressing,:rolleyes: good luck, I probably will like it. I tried this with other recordings discussed on here and it's usually not "much" better, but different.

6. Mike in OR

Mike in OR Through Middle-earth...onto Heart of The Sunrise

I have a first issue GP and it does not "blow away" the MFSL, and I have both the regular issue and a MFSL test pressing. I also have the UK plum and a Canadian promo. There are subtle differences, but none are mediocre in my opinion. All things being equal, do I think that Steve and Kevin could do a better job? Probably so, depending on tape condition, but I really enjoy all the pressings I have. NONE that I have are mediocre pressings in my opinion.

7. izgoblin

izgoblin Forum Resident

Just to confirm, was the first UK pressing indeed on the plum label? I have a UK issue with an A1/B1 stamper and it's the US-like red/green label. It was sold to me as a first press so it sure would suck for me if it ain't. :) It has the textured cover as well.

8. Scott Wheeler

Yeah I have the test pressing as well. Quite a coincidence. That sounds the same to me as the regular MoFi issue. There is no UK plum label CTTE. The original UK issues are orange and green. They are distinguished by the textured cover. There are several masterings of the original UK issue. That happens I guess when they know you are going to sell millions of copies right off the bat.

I guess one person's subtle is another person's night and day. But I'm the guy who didn't hear differences between the vinyl formulations being tested in the field by Classics. The key to success with these U.S. Piros masterings is getting the right one and getting an original stamper off the metal mother. It matters. At least I think so. I have a first generation and a third generation to compare. By the way you have to use the matrix info to ID this. My "original" CTTE with the Broadway label is the third generation stamper while my first generation stamper is a Rockafeller label. That doesn't make sense since the Broadway labels came first (supposedly) At any rate the first Piros mastering will almost certainly be exlusive to the SD 7244 issues and the original stampers can be identified by a single A at the end of the matrix. There would and an additional faintly scribed A for each generation of stamper taken from the mother.

9. Mike in OR

Mike in OR Through Middle-earth...onto Heart of The Sunrise

Sorry my mistake, the plum I have is Fragile. My UK CTTE is the same as yours.

Regarding the US copy 7244 AT@GP CTTE, my copy is a third gen. with a hard scribed "A" followed by two soft scribed "A"s. Same as well for side two with the "B"s. And of course a textured/matte Broadway jacket with Broadway lables. But my experience is that you can not always trust the label variation.

Scott, I will agree with you on one point, the MFSL....I cannot hear the slightest difference between the production and the Ricker TP.

10. Guardian

Guardian Forum Resident

Ok so it seems that the best version is tied between Piro's first master and the MFSL. How do you tell if it is a first Piros master?

11. DaleH

DaleH Forum Resident

Not sure where this copy falls but I think it sounds a little better than my MFSL except for the noise floor of the vinyl. This record doesn’t grab me like the AP Fragile though.

12. Pug

Pug The Prodigal Snob Returns!

Is that a Columbia House LP?

13. DaleH

DaleH Forum Resident

There’s no indication on the jacket or record but that looks like Columbia type to me. No other markings in the wax.

14. Scott Wheeler

Hand scribed matrix number STA-722619A signed atgp other side STA-722620A signed atgp. The atgp is hand written and hard to make out at first.

15. ceddy10165

ceddy10165 My life was saved by rock n roll

what is a "hot stamper"?

16. johnny33

johnny33 New Member

The chick I saw friday at the post office getting her mail ready? :winkgrin:

17. Stefan

Stefan Senior Member

Indeed. The full text mentions the Atlantic source tapes, and mastering by Joe Reagoso & Ron McMaster. Pre-order price is $22.98. Not bad.

18. Spitfire

Spitfire Senior Member

Is the green inner sleeve with the lyrics really that rare?

19. Stefan

Stefan Senior Member

Probably more marketing speak than reality. I've had four copies of CTTE, and only a Japanese one had the original sleeve. Mind you, two of the other three were 19133 reissues and my original SD-7244 was a rather dingy used copy that probably had the sleeve originally. It would be nice if they went for the original textures cover but it probably won't be. Still, what counts is the sound.

20. Scott Wheeler

No

21. wolf66

wolf66 New Member

22. wolf66

wolf66 New Member

Isn't that a "Hot Mother" ? :D

23. Stefan

Stefan Senior Member

No, it's a SILF. :)

24. Guardian

Guardian Forum Resident

So has anyone ordered this and listened to it?

25. saundr00

saundr00 Bobby

Just ordered my copy tonight. I'll be a guinea pig for us.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.