Yes - Close to the Edge - Friday Music vinyl in November *

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Scott Wheeler, Oct 4, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. j.barleycorn

j.barleycorn Forum Resident

I found an 1841 B'way a couple days ago in NM condition for $2 that had the A followed by one faint A on both sides. My original copy from '72, bought on release, had 2 faint A's on both sides. I A/B'ed them yesterday and frankly didn't really hear any difference. The new copy was a bit quieter which was nice, though my original has managed to make it down the years in very nice shape. I can't say it offered any noticeable improvement in other areas even though it was from an earlier stamper. Frankly, they both sound great.

What was interesting though was the cover on this latest find is glossier than my original with less defined texturing. It's not like the later jackets that omitted the texture and were all glossy, it's a sort of midpoint. I've never seen an 1841 with this sort of cover variant. The cover also has slightly smaller dimensions than my original 1841.

Having tried the FM reissue and returned it, I'm sticking with the 1841s.

2. Scott Wheeler

Scott Wheeler Forum Resident Thread Starter

If I am reading your post correctly it seems like both LPs are from the same plates. The second A represents a second use of the mother. So one should keep an eye out for the single A and single B pressings.

3. Tullman

Tullman Senior Member

Your right. Just because one person prefers one version over another, doesn't mean the other version sucks. Everyones ears and systems are different. No version of this title is perfect and there may be things in the mix that make it difficult to master.

I've read too many reviews on this forum that completely trashed one version or another, especially new releases. Often times I have gone back and compared, said wonder issues to new reissues and have found things I like about both issues, not a definitive choice.

4. Runt

Runt Senior Member

Totally agree. And I think it applies especially to this particular album, with it's...well, somewhat wacky original production (all the tape splicing of different takes that were recorded at different times, etc.)

A consensus on a definitive version of CTTE may never be...

5. izgoblin

izgoblin Forum Resident

I finally listened to the Friday Music Close to the Edge this weekend. A couple of quick disclaimers before my opinion - 1) I didn't follow my own rule and perform a comparison with other pressings, and 2) My setup isn't nearly as good as what most forum members seem to have.

I will say this though - even if from a digital master, it's clear that they tried to offer us the audiophile release it is marketed as. The vinyl is quiet and this is a nice-sounding record. Not at all "bright" as one would expect from recent trends, and there is lovely midrange in Squire's bass throughout. Working from memory, I feel like the bass drum is a bit weak in comparison to at least one other release I've heard, and there are times when it borders on sounding a bit muddier than I remember.

So while I haven't yet compared it to my early US or UK pressings, I'd say this would certainly be a safe bet for anyone who doesn't have this album at all on vinyl and wants a better sounding currently-in-print alternative to the disappointing Rhino CD. But for us here, we've already bought this album before, so we're going to be a bit harder to please than your average listener.

FWIW, do I expect this to be my favorite copy once I do a direct comparison? No. But it is a pretty good disc. I give 'em at least a B+ for effort. I was able to enjoy the music thoroughly even while I tried to listen critically, and in this day and age, that's a surprise in itself.

I somehow doubt it, but I'd hope they do the first two Yes albums as those are the only ones I don't decent copies of on vinyl. In fact, I don't even have decent copies of those on CD anymore either.

6. Stefan

Stefan Senior Member

My understanding is that it was from an analog master. The Friday Music web site talks about their having worked with the Atlantic Records "source tapes."

7. Tullman

Tullman Senior Member

I know, but they may have taken the liberty to call digital clones of the source tapes, source tape. Who knows.:sigh:

No one is to be trusted in this digital age. Labels can send digital masters via the internet, fast, clean and cheap. Right?

8. Stefan

Stefan Senior Member

True and then again digital copies of masters used to be on tapes too. I recall seeing a promo film for the 4-LP vinyl release of Led Zeppelin's Mothership in which a guy points to what looks like an analog tape running and refers to it as the master, but I have that box and it sounds like a better mastered version of the CD version, which we know was mastered from old flat digital transfers of the 2-track masters!

9. Jamie Tate

Jamie Tate New Member

10. Tullman

Tullman Senior Member

Read this promo for the new Yes lp.

11. Tullman

Tullman Senior Member

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.