America s/t 180 gram vinyl release on Friday Music label

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Scott Strobel, May 21, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Scott Strobel

Scott Strobel Forum Resident Thread Starter

Hello all!

Just wanted to tell anybody that is interested in this release to avoid it for now. I received my first copy from Acoustic Sounds and it had split seams on the cover and on the insert. The vinyl was noisy with lots of pops. So I returned this version for another, thinking I had just got a bad pressing. The replacement was just as bad or maybe even worse than the first copy, cover and insert wise. The vinyl was noisy and full of pops again also. When I called Acoustic Sounds about this problem again they informed me that there is a problem with this release. So I'm waiting for a call back from them to proceed with return again unfortunately. :sigh:
    Just wanted to give a heads up to anybody that might be interested in this title. Sound wise(mastering) it seems that they did a good job, but I did not compare it to any other version that I own. Warner's Green label (I think) and a German release.
    Maybe they can get it released without the defects I hope? because I really was looking forward to a great new version of this excellent album. :mad:

2. luckyman

luckyman Forum Resident

Thanks for posting that, Scott. I was actually checking for reviews on this lp when I saw your thread. I was planning on ordering a copy tonight.

3. Tyler

Tyler Senior Member

Thanks for the heads up. I was wondering how this one was going to turn out. I think I will pass on this one for now.

Strange that they would still be selling this one their website if there's a rash of bad pressings, even calling it "pristine" (or perhaps the description is coming from the label and not the retailer).

4. Tyler

Tyler Senior Member

Anyone else have a chance to listen to the new pressing?

5. johnny33

johnny33 New Member

It's unfortunate that the noisy pressings are not allowing people to get past this issue in order to even want to listen to whether this album is mastereed well or not.

6. AudiophilePhil

AudiophilePhil Senior Member

Anyone would like to give more comments and feedback about this new America vinyl reissue?

7. PTgraphics

PTgraphics Senior Member

I picked this up today. Too bad I didn't see this thread sooner.

Pat

8. Tyler

Tyler Senior Member

How is your pressing?

9. Randy W

Randy W Original Member

Thanks - this vinyl resurgence seems to be having its share of problems.

10. fmuakkassa

fmuakkassa Dr. M

Thanks for the warning. I was about to order it.

11. PTgraphics

PTgraphics Senior Member

Seems the guitars are distorted in a few songs like "Sandman" and "I Need You". Very tizzy sounding. Thought something was wrong with my turntable, but that's OK. The guitars are way up in the mix and it sounds like somebody screwed up something. The whole thing sounds like a bad cassette or radio broadcast. I just hope I can get my money back!!

Pat

12. PTgraphics

PTgraphics Senior Member

I tried to my post above but could not. I just must have gotten a bad copy. I heard back from Friday Music...

"The album was recorded in 1971. This was made from the original master tapes supplied by Warner Music Group. I personally engineered the disc, and spent many hours in the studios and made sure it sounded pristine like our other recordings. It is currently ranking #1 to #5 in vinyl sales on most of the major vinyl retailers, which says a lot about the quality of the recording."

The guy was nice and all, but they don't take vinyl back. Says he will do me right though. Says a lot that they wrote me back as well, and pretty fast at that.

Is anyone else hearing distortion on some songs?

Pat

13. Raunchnroll

Raunchnroll Senior Member

Have you compared it to a good original yet? This LP (an original) is one of my favorite demo records.

14. PTgraphics

PTgraphics Senior Member

No, the only vinyl I have is the "Hits" one, so it's not the same at all.

Is anyone else going to pick this up? Maybe my ears suck or I just got a bad copy. The guitars were distorted in some places on the master tapes, correct? Maybe I am just hearing it more.

Pat

15. MikeT

MikeT Prior Forum Cretin and Current Impatient Creep

I purchased this when it was first released and listened to it once so far. I didn't notice any issues with my vinyl - as the pressing was clean and quiet and the cover was in excellent shape. I think the sound of the remaster and pressing is very good, but not "great". I didn't notice any "distortion" on any instruments, but I did notice that the quality of the sound was on the "bright" side overall. The acoustic strummed guitars had a very "crisp" sound as opposed to overly smooth "analog" sound.

On the other hand, I didn't have any real issues with my copy that would send me back to the place I ordered it from (Acoustic Sounds) asking for a return (unless someone here verifies that they are re-pressing the entire run for a specific reason other than noisy vinyl (since my vinyl is not noisy)).

16. Scott Wheeler

Scott Wheeler Forum Resident

My exact impressions too. Gotta get an original to compare. well gotta get an original cause this is a cool album

17. Scott Strobel

Mike, you got lucky!
    I tried two different pressings and they both had the same issues of noise and cover damage. I guess it was not to be for me.
    Twice is enough!!!

Maybe they got the problems fixed now. I dunno?
    All I can say is, that during my talks with Acoustic Sounds I was told by a staff member that they were having problems with this vinyl release.

"Maybe" he was talking about me! since I had two different returns.
    I just thought of that when I was posting.

18. Scott Wheeler

Scott Wheeler Forum Resident

Maybe Acoustic Sounds got a bad batch. Mine is fine but I didn't get it from Acoustic Sounds. Still, I have a hunch the original in good shape will likely sound much better given this LP's pedigree.

19. MikeT

MikeT Prior Forum Cretin and Current Impatient Creep

When did you order your copy from Acoustic Sounds? I ordered my copy the day it arrived in stock (from Acoustic Sounds) and they shipped within hours of my order - so I have to assume I got one from the initial batch Acoustic Sounds received.

The one "weird" thing about the album I received is that it was not "shrinkwrapped" or sealed in any way (in the conventional sense). It has a nice thick plastic outer sleeve (which is open - never was sealed) and in that was the LP cover. So in essence my copy was "opened" when received - but since it was in good shape all around I didn't think to question whether this was how it was supposed to be packed or not.

20. Scott Strobel

I had preordered the record and it was shipped as soon as it was in stock. I then promptly returned that defective first copy for another one to no avail. When I was negotiating the return of the first one is when I was told of a problem with this release. Neither of my copies were shink wrapped as well.

21. John Carsell

John Carsell Forum Resident

You got that right.

Has the art of pressing an LP on quiet vinyl been lost?

22. Sckott

Sckott Hand Tighten Only.

Get an original greenie WB US pressing. It may not look all that interesting, but a clean copy will WOW you. I avoided this one for that reason; I couldn't believe this one could sound any better... Put me back $3.

Very strange since on the AS site, it's #1 in sales.

If it seems the production or label might be cutting corners, chances are, they will. In this economy, it's hard to trust buying new vinyl unless it's RTI....

23. Tyler

Tyler Senior Member

And even they run into quality control issues (see the Doors boxed set debacle).

It's certainly buyer beware when it comes to new vinyl.

24. Sckott

Sckott Hand Tighten Only.

Yep...

25. PTgraphics

PTgraphics Senior Member

I confirmed with Friday Music that was the way the LP was shipped - not wrapped up but in a nice thick outer sleeve.

I sent the dude who did this latest LP - see my previous post - a link to a 35 second section of a needledrop I did of "I Need You" with distortion in the left channel during the more active parts. I played other records and they played fine so my setup is decent.

Pat

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.