Yes - Close to the Edge - Friday Music vinyl in November *

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Scott Wheeler, Oct 4, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. SiriusB

SiriusB New Member

Amazing, as between them, those pressing must have spawned a great many die-hard Yes fans. Yet you 'cant' listen to any of them'. :sigh:

2. user19351

user19351 Active Member

Noise and abrasions? Hopefully, your copy is the exception. If I can't get a quiet copy, I have no interest. Does anyone know where this was pressed?

3. Stefan

Stefan Senior Member

Thanks, that sounds tremendous! I can hardly wait for my copy to get here.

4. TommyTunes

TommyTunes Senior Member

You are right, I have 3 different Piro's cut version. One goes to about 1/4" from the label on side 1. That is the best sounding of all the versions I have.

5. Paul K

Paul K Senior Member

What Tommytunes is referring to are cuts with the initials AT/GP written in the deadwax...

6. Ultimix

Ultimix Forum Resident

Yea - I would love to hear were it was pressed...MAJOR importance!!

Mark

7. Tullman

Tullman Senior Member

I have the Johnny Winter live lp from friday music and the vinyl is very good, no pressings issues.

8. Pug

Pug The Prodigal Snob Returns!

My Friday Music pressing of Boz Scaggs' S/T LP is dead quiet as well. :thumbsup:

9. vinyldoneright

vinyldoneright pbthal

My CTTE was dead quiet as well

10. Stefan

Stefan Senior Member

Just out of curiosity, did they reproduce the original textured cover or is it the smooth version?

11. bellwether

bellwether New Member

Smooth, not textured. The inner sleeve is a replica of the original IIRC.

12. anku64

anku64 New Member

Friday Music vinyl's are pressed at RTI. Great quality for Johnny Winter and Boz Scaggs. So you can expect great quality here too

Andreas

13. ledsox

ledsox Senior Member

14. izgoblin

izgoblin Forum Resident

Dag nabbit. Now I gotta buy this. :)

15. texron

texron Rory On

DITTO:righton:

16. John Egan

John Egan Active Member

I just tried to listen to side 1 and experienced a wide awake nightmare of grinding surface noise. My last audiophile LP, Who By Numbers, was as bad. I'm feeling jinxed and I aint superstitious.

17. Ultimix

Ultimix Forum Resident

Thats good!!

18. Runt

Runt Senior Member

I found it at a Best Buy store. It sounds great to my ears. Very impressed. I'll be buying more Friday Music releases.

19. Guardian

Guardian Forum Resident

They had it at best buy!?! I might have to cruise over there later today :goodie:

20. izgoblin

izgoblin Forum Resident

I just ordered mine direct from Friday Music today. Geez, if I knew they had it at some Best Buys I would have looked for it over the weekend instead of having to wait for it to ship.

Figures - I only just begged my friend to give me the Piros-cut copy back that I gave him years ago. Sounds like even that won't be much use to me now.

21. MikeT

MikeT Prior Forum Cretin and Current Impatient Creep

I am starting to get jealous of you people who have a Best Buy near them that carries vinyl. The Best Buy near me only carries the "standard" Best Buy vinyl selection (the few albums that are Best Buy specials or ad items). When I asked a few times about carrying vinyl as a rule, they had no idea.

When I mentioned that other stores carry vinyl, their only answer was those might be test stores for the entire chain to determine if vinyl would fly chainwide.

Anyway - I ordered this album (Yes) from Music Direct and it should be delivered within a few hours (if UPS tracking is correct).

22. Runt

Runt Senior Member

Not to be nitpicky, but the packaging leaves a bit to be desired. The cover is not textured and is made of rather flimsy cardboard. The printing is somewhat out of focus and unclear. The inner sleeve is made of a paper stock that makes it a little difficult to get the vinyl back into the sleeve. And, surprisingly, the album was not shrink wrapped, but came in an open plastic sleeve. But it sounds good, so I'm not complaining. :D

23. Guardian

Guardian Forum Resident

According to the best buy website it seems like none of the stores within 100 miles of me carry it. Or a couple other titles I looked up. Maybe I'll get lucky and the local record store will order it.

24. PMC7027

PMC7027 Forum Hall Of Fame

Tower.com has it for $19.99

25. izgoblin

izgoblin Forum Resident

I'd definitely agree that for those without a UK original, it's a shame they didn't match the original textured sleeve. But since I only recently picked up a bunch of Yes UK originals (probably to be outdone by Friday's upcoming pressings dag nabbit!), I'll personally live without it. But by all means I most appreciate the re-issues that go as far as possible to replicate the original, tough-to-get releases.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.