Yes - Close to the Edge - Friday Music vinyl in November *

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Scott Wheeler, Oct 4, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Stefan

Stefan Senior Member

I noticed a seller on eBay with the Friday Music CTTE listed for $29.95, Buy It Now and a Dec. 8 listing end. I suppose he's just planning to resell it and ship once the LP is actually released and sent to him. It's only $22.95 direct from FM.

2. I picked up a copy yesterday and am listening now (it was at Princeton Record Exchange). So far, I like it on a qualitative level, but I'm only listening casually at the moment.

3. SiriusB

SiriusB New Member

So, one has to wonder if those 'source tapes' are 'original master tapes'. Because the last I heard, the original masters for one of the sides have gone missing...even for the Rhino reissues. The full set of multitracks also appear to be MIA, which is why this one never got a surround release.

4. Gang Twanger

Gang Twanger New Member

Any more info? Have you had a chance to compare it to an AT/GP yet?

I've been keeping a close eye on this thread. CTTE is my third favorite Yes album, and an absolute essential for anyone beyond the "casual" Yes fan, IMO. I already have several 1st generation George Piros-mastered copies of both "The Yes Album" and "Fragile" (and I think I've found my "hot stamper" for both), but I have NO vinyl copies of CTTE (just the remastered CD). So understandably, I've got my feelers out on this one. I need to complete my "Big 3" Yes "hot stamper" collection. :winkgrin:

BTW, you guys have finally convinced me to buy Kevin and Steve's "Fragile" redux. I hate to sound disloyal, but I had seen some "pro" review where the guy mentioned something about "slight compression at higher volumes" (I think that's how he put it) and it got me a little spooked (Plus I already own 2 originals). But I've decided to go with the opinions of many rather than from just one. And plus we are talking about SH in this case, so I really have to try it. I think this would be my first Hoffman-mastered LP, so I'm actually kind of excited about it.

5. Guardian

Guardian Forum Resident

I'm happy with my german vinyl CTTE. Siberian Khatru sounds great! However it was not made from the master tapes but copy tapes.

6. Paul K

Paul K Senior Member

Well I took the bait when I first heard about this press...we shall see how it is!

7. user19351

user19351 Active Member

Any updates? I'm ready to place my order if they nailed this one.

8. Mike in OR

Mike in OR Through Middle-earth...onto Heart of The Sunrise

Elusive Disc is now advertising that they have this in stock.

9. Runt

Runt Senior Member

Any more input on this one?? People here need to know! You seem to be the only one on the planet who actually has a copy.

10. Stefan

Stefan Senior Member

The compression at higher volumes thing seems bogus to me. I've had this album since the week it was released and it's stunning how good Steve and Kevin made this sound. If this new CTTE comes anywhere close to sounding as good, we'll all be quite happy.

I broke down and ordered a copy on the weekend. I recently scored a GP pressing but there's unfortunately a bit of groove damage on the louder passages so I'm still searching for a satisfying version of this album. We'll see how the new one sounds. I see the Paypal listed the payment to "Joe Reagoso." Does he own Friday Music?

11. Mike in OR

Mike in OR Through Middle-earth...onto Heart of The Sunrise

I think Steve and Kevin did a great job with it, I think it sounds excellent.

12. Guardian

Guardian Forum Resident

I think he was the mastering engineer on it although I probably am wrong :D

13. John

John Senior Member

Have to agree. I am usually a fan of originals, but I have 2 US originals, 2 US second pressings, and three UK Kinney pressings (unfortunately no true UK 1st press Plum original), and I cant listen to any of them. Steves was a very pleasant listen. If Tom has unearthed some better pressings my hats off to him, Ive tried. Steve's works for me.

I also remenber my MOFI CTTE being pretty good, but its been a long time since Ive played it. I dont remember it having the typical smiley face EQ job. A tad boosted in the upper mids IIRC but nothing too terrible. However, as you all know MOFIs are all over the place YMMV.

14. TommyTunes

TommyTunes Senior Member

Originals of CTTE range from OMG this is awesome to Take That Off. Of all the LP's I come across this one had the widest range in sound quality. I have about a half dozen copies and every one sounds different. I have an early Canadian that sounds great but by far the best sounding is (if memory serves) a Porky US pressing that is better than a UK A-1 /B-1 version.

The same applies to Fragile. I have a Plum UK, second issue UK and about 5 US pressings along with the Analog Productions. My favorite is one of the US copies but I can't remember the markings right now. The AP while better than some is not as good as the best US.

I'll pass on this new version of CTTE until someone tells me different. There are simply way too many reissues coming out that don't compare to originals. The tapes used in the seventies and eighties are not holding up as well as the formulations used in the fifties and early sixties. They lose most of their top end and become dull sounding.

15. Paul K

Paul K Senior Member

I received it...
    It sounds fantastic...but have just popped a letter to Friday Music detailing what was wrong with their shipping and packaging of the record...(banged up corner, seam splits, and noise and abrasions on the pressing...) If they can deal with these problems for the future, we may have a great thing on our hands...

From what I heard though...it sounds amazing...
    Not bright...and they nailed the organ bit in "I Get Up, I Get Down"...

16. bellwether

bellwether New Member

listening to this now and i agree it sounds great. My copy is used and has a little noise but that may be from the previous owner.

MrTrickle likes this.
  17. Stefan

Stefan Senior Member

bellwether, are you talking about the new CTTE or Steve's Fragile?

18. bellwether

bellwether New Member

sorry, the new CTTE, just found a used copy today. I don't have any other vinyl to compare it to though.

19. Gary

Gary Nauga Gort! Staff

Used already?!? Wow....

20. Murph

Murph Enjoy every sandwich!

There is a US Porky cut of CTTE? Did you mean Piros? The Piros cut that I have sounds pretty good.

21. Jamie Tate

Jamie Tate New Member

Wow! Thanks for the review. I was waiting for reviews before I bought it but I think I'll order it now.

22. vinyldoneright

vinyldoneright pbthal

I got one tonight, I might be able to post a clip this evneing, any particular piece folks would like to hear

23. ledsox

ledsox Senior Member

How about the start of Siberian Khatru?

24. Guardian

Guardian Forum Resident

Agreed. Or 3 minutes into the first side :righton:

25. vinyldoneright

vinyldoneright pbthal

Friday Music Siberian

Notes:

Turntable: VPI Scoutmaster Signature Plus
    Cartridge: Audio-Technica AT33PTG