I mastered the DEEP PURPLE "FIREBALL" AF Gold CD today...

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Steve Hoffman, Aug 3, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Claus

Claus Senior Member

SKOW is better than Demon's Eye IMO... I always preferred the US-LP.

2. KariK

KariK Forum Resident

Really great news!!

3. pool_of_tears

pool_of_tears Searching For Simplicity

Pinch me...someone!

Now we'll have all of the Mark II stuff mastered by Steve:

In Rock, Fireball, Machine Head, Made In Japan, and Who Do We Think We Are. :goodie:

4. pool_of_tears

pool_of_tears Searching For Simplicity

Well, the 2 Doors cd's have them, as does We're An American Band.

5. Steve Hoffman

Steve Hoffman Your host Your Host Thread Starter

Hi,

All done mastering this album. I think this is the first time these tapes were used in over 30 years....

Now, this is going to be the AMERICAN version of the album so no Demon's Eye. AF tried, but no. We have strict orders to respect the USA song order in our Territory so don't ask. Just the breaks but this will be the USA album as issued here in 1971.

This is the first time I've heard these songs without that ear-splitting treble boost and extra compression used on almost every release since the dawn of time. It's a relief not to be peeled off the wall for a change.

Still, the album sounds like and will always sound like it was recorded in a dry 6 x 7 room at full volume, heh. At least now you'll be able to hear some actual texturing in the sound.

One thing I should mention. This album was mixed on bad 'ol British made Scotch 202 recording tape and is in very shaky shape. The reels were also marked DO NOT USE because the tape is literally falling apart. Even with all that, these mixes are the real deal, not to be imitated so please put up with a little random noise or whatever here and there. I did NOT dump to a digital work station to remove any bias clicks or whatever so you headphone nuts "get over it". I wanted to be sure you'll get a pure analog-like sound on your Gold CD so don't let a tic or something ruin your day. Enjoy.

Dan Steele, Kassonica and George P like this.
  6. zen

zen Senior Member

I'm insanely happy.

Thanks Steve!!!

Dan Steele likes this.
  7. LeeS

LeeS Music Fan

Great news Steve. Thanks! :)

8. motorcitydave

motorcitydave Enlightened Rogue In Memoriam

:cool::thumbsup:

9. Meng

Meng Forum Resident

Dammit.

It should have occurred to me this would be the US version but it didn't. Demon's Eye is a fave of mine so I'll pass.

Oh well ...

10. Gary

Gary Nauga Gort! Staff

:laugh: It probably was! Or a room for each band member! :D

That's our rockin' Deep Purple for ya! :uhhuh:

We're all building quite a purple collection - thanks AF and Steve!

Dan Steele likes this.
  11. Roninblues

Roninblues 猿も木から落ちる。

... or ours! :cheers:

12. MikeT

MikeT Prior Forum Cretin and Current Impatient Creep

You are going to pass, even though it may be possible that this could be the best sounding version of the album released on CD (or otherwise)? Shouldn't you wait for reports on sound quality first?

13. SRV

SRV Forum Resident

Count me in for one ! I'll keep the 25th anniv. for Demon's Eye and I'm Alone.

14. Excellent!!! Very excited!

15. Runt

Runt Senior Member

Sounds like you did an awesome job with what you had to work with, Steve. Would much rather hear analog-like sound and textures, warts and all!

16. PTgraphics

PTgraphics Senior Member

I have never heard this album. If I liked at least some of it I sure would not buy it just because of one song not being included, that was not included on the original USA release anyway.

Pat

17. agentalbert

agentalbert Senior Member

Your prerogative, but totally your loss. Is Demon's Eye the ONLY song you like on Fireball? It's not worth it to have the best sounding digital copy of the rest of the tracks and SKOW because Demon's Eye isn't there?

Just saying...

18. agentalbert

agentalbert Senior Member

It's a shame AF couldn't get both, but I'm glad they tried.

You're efforts are very appreciated, Steve. Can't wait for this to come out. I can finally make that MKII Vol. 1 comp for my car!

19. Purplerocks

Purplerocks Forum Resident

:goodie::goodie::goodie::
    Most excellent!

"No, No, No" and "The Mule"...can't wait.

20. zen

zen Senior Member

That's cool; it's better to have someone who loves the album have a chance at getting a copy first. I just had a chat with my brother about the news ('cause he's a huge fan of the "Strange Kind Of Woman" version), and now he can't wait to buy the AF CD.

One man's loss is another man's gain. :cheers:

21. noname74

noname74 Allegedly Canadian

Can't wait for this one!

22. Blair G.

Blair G. Senior Member

Just so I'm clear.....you are happy about this release ?? ;)

( I am too )

23. downhill

downhill Senior Member

You should see my smile!!!! Yeeeeeeeeeehaaaaaaaaaaaaaa

24. ksmitty

ksmitty Senior Member

Great News ! I was really about ready to cancel my Platinum Membership as there have been several releases in the past few months that I am not very interested in. With this news I think I will stick around and see what is still to come now. I Love "Fireball" and it is a nice addition to go with the other AF Deep Purple Gold Releases.

25. dude

dude Senior Member

"Fireball" is like the original headbangin' double kick drum song of all time. I wonder if anything could be done to make it sound less "lo fi", though.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.