I mastered the DEEP PURPLE "FIREBALL" AF Gold CD today...

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Steve Hoffman, Aug 3, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Plexihead

Plexihead Well-Known Member

Very happy to hear this news, I've always loved Fireball! I'm also pleased about the US track order, Demon's Eye is a great song but I definitely prefer SKOW in the 3rd slot on side A.

Can't wait to crank me up some more AF 24K PURPLE!

2. gd0

gd0 Looney Tunes and Merrie Melodies

Aw nuts.

I'm getting it anyway!

:winkgrin:

3. No baking required?

4. Javimulder

Javimulder New Member

Gonna have to have this paragraph handy for when the reviews start coming in :D

5. head_unit

head_unit Senior Member

Heh, maybe someone will start a sub-specialty label to RE-license this and sell "de-ticked" versions as 24/192 downloads :righton:

Actually, not a bad philosophy-master it direct. Those who want to tinker can do so in the privacy of their own ProTools.

6. yesstiles

yesstiles Senior Member

:righton:

My favorite Deep Purple album.

I had difficulty tracking down my original EMI UK cd which I love, so I'm kinda glad the AF disc won't have Demon's Eye. It gives me a reason to hold onto my old disc. Sure weird that they don't just add Demon's Eye in right before SKOW on the AF. These discs are aimed at collectors right?

Strict orders from who?

7. MikeyH

MikeyH Stamper King

Whoever's controlling the license for the USA. Warner Bros, whoever they're part of in the grand scheme.

8. jsayers

jsayers Just Drifting....

Damn. Another missed opportunity. :sigh:

9. steveharris

steveharris Senior Member

Me too!I`m completely cool with that

Fireball AF WoooHooo!!

10. Brian81

Brian81 Forum Resident

I do also.:righton:

11. jsayers

jsayers Just Drifting....

Vinyl buyers get Kate Bush and us cd fans get this old Deep Purple mothball.
    Dang! :sigh:

12. dbz

dbz Bolinhead.

Thank You Mr Hoffman, It doesn't matter to me..it's all good!

I can't wait to hear The Mule and No One Came, always thought these two tracks sounded better than rest of the album.

13. Meng

Meng Forum Resident

I was born and grew up in the UK. Fireball just isn't Fireball without Demon's Eye.

I'll make do with my AF In Rock and Machine Head and begin the search for another CD version of Fireball with the UK tracklisting (if such a beast exists) so that I can finally junk the 25th Anniversary disc.

14. Claus

Claus Senior Member

Fireball is a great album.... it has a few killer tracks, but "The Mule" and "Demons Eye" are fillers IMO. It's good AF chosed SKOW.... so I only must skip one song ;-)

15. So far, I don't have a good sounding version of "Strange Kind of Woman", and I hope that the AF CD will solve that. Of course, SKOW is a great song. I also like Demon's Eye, but the original EMI UK CD is at least decent sounding, so I can keep that one for that track. I think that Demon's Eye actually sounds very good on the EMI CD.

IIRC, the US version of Fireball was released before the UK version, so it could be considered as the "original" version. Anyhow, I am happy, even though I would have preferred both versions (UK and US) on the CD.

With all these aspects with regards to licensing and territory, I think we can be really happy that "In Rock" has the full version of "Speed King" even though the original US release did not have the intro.

I am very thankful for this release, and I am glad Steve was able to use the original tapes and I am sure it will be a fine sounding CD. Since the tapes are already in bad shape, this is really a one-time opportunity and I think it was a wise decision by Steve to master this CD in the analog domain as much as possible, i.e. without working on it on a digital workstation.

Hope it won't be too long before it actually appears on the release schedule.

16. Original EMI UK CD is the way to go then. I have a West-Germany pressing, but there are also UK, Holland, and Italy pressings, and they all share the same mastering.

This EMI CD will remain essential simply for the best sounding version of "Demon's Eye".

17. Beech

Beech Forum Resident

So how long will it be till this is "on the shelves"?

18. Meng

Meng Forum Resident

Yes, I've just been reading another thread that says about the original EMI, but there doesn't seem to be many of them around.

There's a non-Japanese mini-LP version up on eBay with the correct track listing which looks promising.

19. Emberglow

Emberglow Senior Member

Best news I've heard in ages. Thanks, Steve :righton:
    Does the Japanese first pressing (20P2-2604) have 'Demon's Eye' or does it use the US tracklist?

20. Jvalvano

Jvalvano Senior Member

Thanks for the info Steve. Having the inside information make it all the more special to have the release and listen to it. I'm looking forward to this one.

21. dbz

dbz Bolinhead.

The Japanese versions are Warner Bros, not EMI/Harvest, so they duplicate the USA albums.

22. Metralla

Metralla Joined Jan 13, 2002

Sad, isn't it?

Of course, the EMI CDP 7 461642 UK sounds great as does the EMI CP32-5086 JPN (black triangle), so it's not all bad.

Hard to imagine these could be improved, but I would have been delighted to get a Steve Hoffman mastered "Hounds of Love" on CD.

23. pool_of_tears

pool_of_tears Searching For Simplicity

Sounds great. I grew up with this on vinyl so I am used to crackles and pops within those grooves.

24. Steel Horse

Steel Horse Forum Resident

Great news.... Thanx a bunch for the update, Steve.:righton:

25. Most likely a russian fake, using the current EMI remaster.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.