I mastered the DEEP PURPLE "FIREBALL" AF Gold CD today...

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Steve Hoffman, Aug 3, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Another Side

Another Side Senior Member

Your English must be better than mine. It sounded to me like two contradictory statements. :confused:

2. vinyl diehard

vinyl diehard Two-Channel Forever

I didn't think that announcement would go unnoticed.:laugh:

Looking forward to it as a long time DP fan of the Mk II lineup.

3. heepsterandrey

heepsterandrey Forum Resident

This is really great news! I would personally love to see DP's first three albums remastered right, along with Burn and Stormbringer! I REALLY REALLY hope Come Taste The band is remastered right as it's my favorite album. I find it really frustrating that EMI had the chance to remaster their albums right and botched it! Now all we can do is wait another 10 to 15 years for a new shot at those titles unless AF does something about it!

4. monewe

monewe Forum Resident

Rock on.

5. Javimulder

Javimulder New Member

Hey, 40th Anniversary coming up in 2 years... :angel:

6. pool_of_tears

pool_of_tears Searching For Simplicity

Falling apart? Go easy on me Steve, I'm not an expert. Is the tape shedding off oxide, in need of baking, etc?

7. Steve Hoffman

Steve Hoffman Your host Your Host Thread Starter

One or the other, not both. If the US version was chosen, we had to follow the order and no bonus. If the UK version was chosen, we had to follow that order and no bonus.

Is this understandable now?

Are you people just funnin' me or am I still making no sense?

8. agentalbert

agentalbert Senior Member

No, that makes perfect sense.

Can you let us know what you'll be mastering next, Steve? Yes, I'm already looking ahead.

9. gd0

gd0 Looney Tunes and Merrie Melodies

I, for one, refuse to recognize the US version.

Doesn't mean I won't buy the AF on day of release.

Just sayin'...

10. downhill

downhill Senior Member

Man.. no way am I passing this up just because it doesn't include Demon's Eye. This is one of my all time fav Deep Purple albums.

As to The Mule being "filler". Hogwash. It's great! No negativity from me. I can't wait!!!

11. motorcitydave

motorcitydave Enlightened Rogue In Memoriam

:uhhuh:

12. vinyldoneright

vinyldoneright pbthal

Man..I didn't think any Deep Purple expert would have picked the US version

13. evanft

evanft Forum Resident

:agree:

14. Meng

Meng Forum Resident

Yeah, that surprised me too.

15. jon9091

jon9091 Master Of Reality

...or consider Demon's Eye and The Mule as "filler."

16. gd0

gd0 Looney Tunes and Merrie Melodies

It woulda made an interesting poll.

17. vinyldoneright

vinyldoneright pbthal

Yeah, I love both those songs

18. townsend

townsend Senior Member

Of course, I'm delighted at this news! I've put off buying any version of this album on CD, and I am fortunate my wait will be rewarded.

I'm also sadden by this news. There are many, many classic rock albums where one cannot find a decent sounding version, and I imagine that the tapes are probably sitting in some vault slowly decaying, and at some point, the continuing decay will make the tapes unsalvageable. And that music will, in one sense, be "lost" forever.

You'd think would would happen in the 21st century, with all the technology around, but I sure it will continue.:realmad: Yep, these items aren't viewed as items of our cultural history to be treasured and preserved. Nope, if one can't make a quick buck on 'em, let's just lock them up and let them go to h?ll.:cry:

:righton: In fact, I would take the self-titled album (Chasing Shadows, anyone?) but it will never happen, at least in my lifetime, or probably the next.

19. Steve Hoffman

Steve Hoffman Your host Your Host Thread Starter

These tapes are in bad shape due to operator error over the years and bad storage. Not the fault of the tape really.

Tapes don't rot away in vaults unless it's too hot in there or they are stored badly wound.

20. musicmax

musicmax New Member

If everyone will just concentrate...
    [​IMG]

21. zen

zen Senior Member

...I'm still buyin' a copy. :D

22. Blair G.

Blair G. Senior Member

I understand that is was a simple choice dictated by the label: US or UK. Period.

But I am curious as to why it would be so black and white. Generally speaking is there a typical reason for situations like this (contractual?) or does it differ from case to case?

Not complaining, I'm very happy to have this one on the way. It's one of the few DP albums I don't already have in one format or another :)

23. hvbias

hvbias Midrange magic

I was hoping it would be the UK as well, as there is a really good version of "Strange Kind of Woman" on Made In Japan. But I'm still getting the AF CD.

24. Steve O

Steve O Forum Resident

I, for one, am GLAD it's the US version. For a while there, I was worried that they would release this but in the UK version.

SKOW is a better song. Also, you can get Demon's Eye on the Singles As and Bs comp, but NOT the album version of SKOW.

So GOOD FOR AF for releasing the US version! :thumbsup:

25. Toby Latimer

Toby Latimer Forum Resident

Which version was the original release for the rest of the world , Australia , Canada , Rest of Europe etc ? I'm thinking that for millions the US version is the ''wrong'' version. I can't think why in this day and age why it can't have Demon's Eye as well as SKOW , the format allowing around 80 minutes . [Same goes for adding Black Night onto In Rock] I will still get this though . I suspect that maybe further down the line it might be an idea for 'Singles A/Bs' to get the DCC treatment , for the completists .

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.