New dual-layer SACDs from vintage BLUE NOTE Analogue Prods, questions answered here..

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Steve Hoffman, Apr 18, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Steve Hoffman

Steve Hoffman Your host Your Host Thread Starter

Do you have questions? I'll be happy to answer them if I can.. I have about 400 emails asking about this and it would be better to answer here.

2. Voltron

Voltron Member

Hi Steve!

How did they pull this off, and how did you do the remaster for SACD?

This is great news, by the way!

Cheers, Al

3. Sckott

Sckott Hand Tighten Only.

Remember, there's no real ETA on this...yet. (Steve?)

It's long before you can preorder.

4. Steve Hoffman

Chad licensed the material from EMI/Capitol. I'm sure money was involved.:)

I haven't done any of these SACDs yet. The deal was just done yesterday!

5. Voltron

Voltron Member

6. Voltron

Voltron Member

Since you haven't done any of the SACDs yet, does the last-quoted bit actually make sense, or what do you have to do to master them?

7. OE3

OE3 Senior Member

SACD v. vinyl

IMHO, the obvious question is this: which series to buy if one is only interested in best possible sound quality (ie. not convenience, not collectability, etc.)? which format for these titles does SH prefer and why? i remember asking you the same of the AP CCR series and you gave a nod to the SACDs over the 33.3 vinyl.

8. Mike Dow

Mike Dow I kind of like the music

This might be a dumb question but as most people here know by now, I'm not afraid of asking dumb questions. :)

When mastering one of these titles for SACD (for example, let's use "Blue Train") will you spend roughly the same period of time as you did when mastering it for 45 RPM? I realize that the process is somewhat different for each and was wondering if it takes more time for the vinyl or SACD mastering.

I'll be placing my order once these are ready to ship.

9. Steve Hoffman

Vinyl for me. Just like being there.

10. MikeT

MikeT Prior Forum Cretin and Current Impatient Creep

So why are you here answering questions!! Get cracking!! :winkgrin:

Seriously, I just ordered all 25 from Acoustic Sounds and can't wait to start receiving them (any or all). Take your time and do them right, not that you would do them any other way. Thanks. I do have two of the 45 RPM vinyl, just showed yesterday - but I prefer SACD for it's portability and ease of play - plus my SACD player is of better "vintage" than my Turntable.

So really - what is the ETA for mastering these?

11. Steve Hoffman

Since I have already "run down" BLUE TRAIN it should be easier. The trick will be finding the loudest peak on the album and adjusting the levels. The mastering will be about the same as for the vinyl except for a trick or two to get the DSD recording to match as closely as possible the "sound" I like.

Same for the CD layer.

12. Yikes!!! get BUSY!!! instead of answering all these questions you could have finished "Blue Train" by now......:D :D

We(I) am of the MTV generation......I want it all, NOW!! :eek:

45rpm vinyl AND SACD :love: :love: :love:

great news :wave:

13. CraigVC

CraigVC Senior Member

EDIT: I think you just answered my questions a couple of posts above! No need to specifically answer my questions now.

Is the reported piece of information about DSD masters being captured at the same time as the 45 RPM masters accurate information?

I'm envisioning that as the original Blue Note master tapes were being played back (to work on the 45RPM masters), they were captured (presumably flat) to DSD and saved on the hope that an SACD deal might be worked out. Now that the deal is worked out, the DSD masters can be pulled out, listened to, and "tweaked" as/if necessary for the SACD format. Is all of that envisioning on my part anything close to accurate? :)

Thanks,
    Craig(VC).

14. Steve Hoffman

Totally inaccurate.:wave:

Nothing to tweak. When I master something for DSD it's a one step process. Nothing is done except what I do in the ANALOG DOMAIN. I don't degrade the sound by second thought after-meddling. All my meddling is done in real time.:righton:

Since Kevin and I haven't done any yet (as mentioned above) well see what happens!

15. CraigVC

CraigVC Senior Member

I think I understand; thanks for the reply!

16. Oh, I almost forgot....Chad, you're now forgiven for your 45rpm Blue Note covers.

SALUTE :wave:

17. J.A.W.

J.A.W. Music Addict

Will these 25 be a limited edition?

18. Steve Hoffman

Every piece of product that a small audiophile label releases (owned by someone else) is in a sense a limited edition.

Guys (and gals) I've been saying that for six years here. If there is something you want, don't wait. Three years and then, POOF, it's gone (or twice the price).

If you mean a limited numbered series, I have no idea.

19. MikeT

MikeT Prior Forum Cretin and Current Impatient Creep

Steve - Not sure if you don't want to answer, or just don't know...

Seriously though, do you have any idea when you will start mastering these for SACD, and how long after that we should see them for sale?

20. J.A.W.

J.A.W. Music Addict

Yep, that's what I meant :)

21. J.A.W.

J.A.W. Music Addict

Expiration of the lease, that sort of thing I guess.

22. Steve Hoffman

Probably the end of April. Go ahead and preorder this stuff, guys, no money exchanges hands but it's going to be a little while before this stuff is ready. Art has to be done, mastering, manufacturing, etc.

Also, I'm going in for surgery on a muscle in my lower back some time in the very near future which will put me on my butt in bed for three to four weeks.

All that being said, you SACD lovers make your excitement known to Chad and Acoustic Sounds and it will give them the impetus to hurry this along.

23. LeeS

LeeS Music Fan

Steve,

Just so I am clear on this...this is a straight analog tape to DSD transfer right?

24. Voltron

Voltron Member

Sorry to hear about the back problem Steve. Best of luck with that and take advantage of the rest time when it comes!

25. J.A.W.

J.A.W. Music Addict

Apparently the extra tracks that appeared on some of the regular CD reissues (the ones that were mastered by Ron McMaster in the 1980s and 1990s) are not included, like for instance "Alison's Uncle" on Cannonball Adderley's Somethin' Else. Do you know why they are being left off?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.