New dual-layer SACDs from vintage BLUE NOTE Analogue Prods, questions answered here..

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Steve Hoffman, Apr 18, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Well, this means that you can finally catch up on your leisure-time music
    listening, lo-fi stuff like original pressing Timi Yuro and Len Barry lp's :laugh:

When I listen to my "hammered" Julie London or Dusty Springfield records,
    suddenly I forget I have a headcold, debt or back problems!

2. JasonK

JasonK Active Member

:righton: :righton: :righton: :righton: :righton: :righton: :righton:

3. You only spend $200 a month? I wish I could get it down to that.

4. KenJ

KenJ Forum Resident

A bit off topic but any chance the Series 1 Fantasy AP vinyl re-issues could see SACD (or even another vinyl run)? They seem to be in the "poof" category for those of us that delayed.

5. bmoura

bmoura Senior Member

I'm guessing that if the sales of the first 25 SACDs go well, there could be more.

6. bmoura

bmoura Senior Member

In the past the Analogue Productions titles initially show up at Acoustic Sounds but then are available via other Audiophile Web Sites like Elusive Disc and Music Direct as well as in music stores. With the demise of Tower, we are less likely to see them in the latter.

7. Waynefi

Waynefi Confused over the confusion ?

WOW, this is great Steve, hopefully this will start something and grow other ways. But in the meantime for a guy who just yesterday decided to back off my vinyl experiment and get back to buying CD, DCC, MFSL, and SACD, and buying some new digital equipment, THIS IS really timely news.

8. Santo10

Santo10 The Hot Corner

I can only hope. :goodie:

9. J.A.W.

J.A.W. Music Addict

Chad told me earlier today that he hasn't decided yet whether or not to add the extra tracks.

10. Steve Hoffman

Steve Hoffman Your host Your Host Thread Starter

Chad likes the album to be the album, just the way it came out originally. Most purists feel that way I think..

11. Rock Klammer

Rock Klammer Formerly pompatusoflove

:goodie: Great News!:goodie:

12. dee

dee Senior Member

Steve, that Sonny Clark trio sacd you worked on sounds fantastic! Say it's so, Steve, that these twenty-five additional heavyweight jazz releases will sound as good as your Sonny? :) :righton: This IS good news...

13. jdw

jdw Senior Member

Regarding the possibility of alternate takes and other bonus tracks appearing on the upcoming Blue Note/Analogue Productions SACDs;

I truly hope that available bonus tracks will be included on the SACDs. Since these discs are being conceived, marketed, and priced as a "premium" series, I believe they should be as complete and as comprehensive as possible.

Blue Note's Michael Cuscuna has been very selective with the release of alternate takes and bonus tracks over the years. The previously unreleased material appearing on Blue Note reissues is always of high artistic quality.

So I hope Blue Note/EMI will allow the licensing of the bonus tracks for the SACDs, and I hope Analogue Productions will include them.

John
    Vancouver BC

PS: my thanks to Steve, Chad K, Michael Cuscuna, and everybody involved in this SACD series. I'm looking forward to them.

14. Waynefi

Well I'll double all the I don't knows I have seen written and add, WHY NOT ? There are enough SACD players out there to support it I bet from a music lover/audiophile group to support such a thing, if there is enough vinyl to be sold to a similar group. Heck I would be happy with some gold cd;s !! But good SACD, can be , well awesome so why not ??

PS: bonus tracks smonus tracks if it makes any of this easier without them, then who cares, be happy to get something !!

15. Metoo

Metoo Forum Hall Of Fame

Yeah, they should have called their project AM instead (as in Analog Matters, even if it comes too near to A&M) then us digital users would not have upped our hopes. :(

16. Roland S.

Roland S. Forum Resident

I think the MM (not AP´s) Idea is this full and best analogue Presentation, with the best mastering, on Vinyl, with big Gatefold-Jackets. It´s a Project of two Jazz-Musiclovers, they have a very small company and they just started this thing a few months ago. I think at this point they didn´t jump on the SACD-Train. I can imagine they never wanted that and don´t forget, these additional SACD-Licenses must cost a lot of money, propably too much for a "start up" like MM. AP can drive on two streets but they are bigger.

Steve Hoffman has find the right Words in the Case of MM. This is also mine Opinion.

17. Waynefi

That is fine for me, as I do not buy tons of jazz anyhow, but the AP offerings have a few in SACD format I am interested in. Well plus if I had to have something that bad I can buy vinyl.

But the the thought of anybody bringing out SACD is good for everybody, just as it is vinyl. Let's not forget high end gold cd stuff, look what the old stuff is selling for. I for anything not just this discussion.

18. Captain Groovy

Captain Groovy Senior Member

I'm really not a jazz fan (at least not "horn" jazz like Miles Davis) - but I REALLY want a few of these.

Since these would all be new to me, are there any that are old school piano blues? Any that have that older vaudeville or Fats Waller-type rollick, shuffle, or boogie woogie to it? Or at least jazz that is a bit "tighter" in its melody - maybe more pop swingish?

Did Johnnie Johnson play on any of these albums per chance? Someone like him?

This is not a thread crap - an honest question - I want to get some of these!

Jeff

19. OE3

OE3 Senior Member

Horace

no, Johnnie Johnson is not on any of them. you should check out Horace Parlan. he was a key tinkler with marvelous melodious disposition.

20. StyxCollector

StyxCollector Man of Miracles

See, there are those of us who appreciate the fact these were not only done by Steve and on vinyl, but would never buy any because it was vinyl. Now that these will be done on SACD - and some of the titles I really wanted - I'll buy some.

So the vinyl folks get some stuff, and the digital folks do. It's all good.

21. jdw

jdw Senior Member

Perhaps you should think about buying a few Blue Note CDs first so you can get an idea about the music in question. Otherwise, why would you want to spend hundreds or possibly thousands of dollars on an SACD series when you've never heard the artists? Especially if you are "really not a jazz fan." ???

22. bresna

bresna Senior Member

Something got lost in translation here....

When I talked to Michael Cuscuna about this on Friday, he said that the DSD masters already existed. I asked him about the bonus material and he said, "Good question. I hadn't thought of that." If they do not exist, Michael isn't aware of it.

Steve, did Chad misunderstand what you & Kevin did? It sounds like he told Blue Note that the DSD mastering was done but you're saying it wasn't. Chad must've goofed.

FWIW, it's too bad if you didn't capture the playback of these masters into DSD the first time around. It would have saved an additional playback.

Kevin

23. Espen R

Espen R Senior Member

"bresna" at the audioasylum/Hi-rez Highway wrote this:

"I just got off the phone and confirmed with Michael Cuscuna that Analogue Productions will be issuing 25 Blue Note titles on hybrid SACDs. No idea of the timetable, but I do know that the DSD masters are already done. They were made as they played back the masters during the 45 rpm LP mastering."

24. bresna

bresna Senior Member

Yup, that's me. As I said there, Michael told me that the DSD masters were already done. Somewhere, there is a disconnect. It could be as simple as Chad thought they were done and said as much when in reality, they weren't.

25. Espen R

Espen R Senior Member

Stupid ME !! :hide:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.