Preorder historic Blue Note SACDs mastered by STEVE & KEVIN for Analogue Productions*

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by TommyTunes, Apr 18, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. TommyTunes

TommyTunes Senior Member Thread Starter

This was mentioned in the Blue Note vinyl thread but I think this deserves it's own thread. All the AP Blue Note titles are listed for preorder on Acoustic Sounds website. This is wonderful news, with all the issues that RTI is having and at $20 bucks cheaper, I couldn't be happier. I just advance ordered them. Finally some great music on SACD. I can only hope that Music Matters follows AP's lead.

2. Dave G.

Dave G. Forum Resident

???
    really!!!
    which titles?
    Steve is mastering Blue Note for SACD?

3. Oyama

Oyama Senior Member

I decided not to subscribe to Acoustic Sounds' Blue Note series due to quality control issues but I'll be definitely getting the SACDs!

4. Matt I

Matt I Forum Resident

Great, Is there a link?

5. Dave G.

Dave G. Forum Resident

6. doesn't say who mastered them......

7. ricks

ricks Senior Member

Looks like Blue Train and a bunch of others were done by Steve and Kevin Gray ?

"…As much as I'd love to relay all kinds of anecdotes about the challenges Steve Hoffman and Kevin Gray encounter during the mastering sessions, I witness none. These boys know the sound of the facility and the Van Gelder masters like the backs of their hands…Back home a month later, I unpack some test pressings Chad Kassem has sent me…I hear the most realistic-sounding drums ever reproduced by my system. It's as though I'm sitting at the point of creation, experiencing the same high that brought such gifted musicians together as one. Steve Hoffman, Kevin Gray, Chad Kassem, and Don MacInnis have done Rudy Van Gelder and his Blue Note artists proud." – Jason Victor Serinus, Stereophile, April 2008"

http://store.acousticsounds.com/browse_detail.cfm?Title_ID=49144

However the same description is used on most of the discs, and are the comments directed at the LP's or the SACD's

Confirmation if these SACD's were done by SH and Kevin Gray would be great.

Rick

8. bholz

bholz Forum Resident

I called AS yesterday when I found the links. At this point in time, they do not have a lot of information on when these will be available or if they will set up a subscription process. Apparently, they were posted just minutes before I happened to stumble across the listing.

Anyway, I placed my order for all 25.

Bill

9. Matt I

Matt I Forum Resident

Thanks for the link.

I saw the Hugh Masekela disc listed a couple of days ago, but it didn't click that it was part of a Blue Note SACD reissue. There are some fantastic discs listed!

10. Claude

Claude Senior Member

WOW! That is the most unexpected SACD release news ever.

11. Metoo

Metoo Forum Hall Of Fame

If there is any place that could get direct confirmation, it's this website. Steve? Steve, can you please tell us if you mastered these SACDs?

12. Claude

Claude Senior Member

The Masekela SACD has already been announced weeks ago. It's not part of the classic Blue Note reissue series

http://www.sa-cd.net/showtitle/4875

13. TommyTunes

I realize that this is Steve's web site but I wouldn't be to hung up on who mastered them. I have all the AP Fanatsy SACD's that were done and they are excellent, so I have no doubt that this this series should be equally as good. Personally as awesome as the 45 rpm vinyl is both RTI issues and 10 minute sides just don't do it for me, especially when the music is not my all time favorite, gotta have, I just can't live without.

Now if it was Pink Floyd (I'm still kicking myself on not getting the Led Zeppelin 45 box) well then I'd deal with the issues.

14. shokhead

shokhead Head shok and you still don't what it is. HA!

That's a nice way to put a downer a on a positive thread.

15. bresna

bresna Senior Member

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Attached Files:

16. Claude

Claude Senior Member

Some are marred by added reverb, and sound considerably worse than Steve's masterings on 45rpm LP or DCC CD: Sonny Rollins "Way out west" &
    "Saxophone colossus", "Art Pepper meets The Rhythm Section", "Cannonball Adderley: Know What I Mean?"

But I guess these new Blue Note SACDs are a by-product of the 45rpm series, and have the same mastering.

17. TommyTunes

Why is it a downer? I have no idea who mastered the original Sony titles but they are incredible, same with APO's. Steve does great work but so do others. Just don't the the credentials be the deciding factor.

18. Xico

Xico Forum Resident

Best news for SACD in years!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! This is great!!!!!

19. MikeT

MikeT Prior Forum Cretin and Current Impatient Creep

Good news, but when will they come out. I have had the three SACD titles that Acoustic Sounds announced a while ago (Hugh Masekla, Rickie Lee Jones and Ry Cooder) on pre-order since they were announced back in Sept 2007. They were supposed to ship in March, and now there is no firm date attached to them anymore. I hate when that happens - give us a date and try to stick to it or at least let us know when!!

20. LeeS

LeeS Music Fan

This is great news Tom. I am pre-ordering these soon.

I think the key thing about mastering is whether it sounds great or not. The Sony American and Japanese SACDs sound great. I'm sure they will do a good job on these.

21. bresna

bresna Senior Member

It's official. I just talked to Michael Cuscuna and he said the deal got done yesterday. Woo hoo!

22. whaaat

whaaat LT Fanatic

This is huge.

23. LeeS

LeeS Music Fan

To paraphrase the Eagles on Super Audio:

"They stab it with their steely knives but they just can't kill the beast."

:D

24. salleno

salleno Forum Resident

Do these feature Steve's mastering?!?!?!?!

Is music matters going to do the same with their titles?!?!?!

I really need to know.

25. CraigVC

CraigVC Senior Member

Did you ask him who's mastering these SACDs?

Craig(VC).

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.