Dire Straits - Brothers in Arms SACD is here!

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by rjstauber, May 24, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. rjstauber

rjstauber Senior Member Thread Starter

Today, I got my copy of the new SACD (limited edition).

I listened through it once (SACD stereo track), and it sounds very nice to my ears. I guess this recording never sounded very "analogue" like the first or second record by Dire Straits, but I think they did a good job on the SACD.

The limited edition is nothing special, just a plain digi-pack with a standard booklet inside. I had hoped for a more extensive booklet with more background information.

What is the regular edition like? Does it come in a standard CD case (like the Pibnk Floyd DSOTM 30th anniversary) or in a Super-Jewel-Box like other SACD's?

What do other people think about the sound quality?

Roland

2. PMC7027

PMC7027 Forum Hall Of Fame

Thanks for the info, Roland. I just checked CDWOW.com and discovered my copy of the regular edition has shipped. I hope it arrives within a week. I'm guessing that the regular edition comes in a standard jewel case.

3. arrakian

arrakian Forum Resident

I would imagine a DVD-A would sound better, as this recording was originally PCM, which is why I never bothered with the LP; CD-only.

4. rjstauber

rjstauber Senior Member Thread Starter

Another couple of remarks:

I haven't listened to this CD as a whole in a long time. I'm kind of re-discovering it, and I think it is actually a quite good album. Before I never thought that highly of BIA. I am not a big fan of "Walk of Life" or "So Far Away", and even "Money For Nothing" isn't my all-time favorite Dire Straits song. I do like the quiter tunes quite a lot.

I remember back in 1986, when I heard the CD for the first time (I originally listened to the vinyl first), that the CD had longer versions of at least a couple of songs: Why Worry was much longer on the CD I think, at least on one of the CD versions (for some reason I remember it being over 10 minutes long, but it is "only" around 9 minutes on the new SACD). Also, "Your Latest Trick" has the intro with the trumpet which, IIRC, wasn't on the original vinyl.

Does somebody still have the original vinyl of this recording? What are the running times of the individual songs on there?

The total running time of the new SACD is about 55 min. Is there a redbook CD version which has a longer running time (also 9 songs)?

Roland

5. Dave D

Dave D Done!

The LP sounded much better.

Anyway.....let's not start any DVD-A/SACD battles. It's here, let's enjoy it. Mine shipped. Can't wait.

6. arrakian

arrakian Forum Resident

No battles. I prefer LPs, then SACDs. I just figured the PCM master would sound better native on DVD-A, than converted to SACD.

7. LeeS

LeeS Music Fan

Are we certain no analog tape was made? Is it just a 16/44 source?

8. arrakian

arrakian Forum Resident

I remember when the album came out, I first heard it at a Sony center. The CD stated it was made from DDD.

9. floyd

floyd Senior Member

Me too. Does anyone know where CDWOW dispatches from. There hasn't been a SACD release I've been this excited about in a long time. I wonder if it will beat the XRCD I never picked that one up due to the price lets hope I don't have to after the SACD.

10. PMC7027

PMC7027 Forum Hall Of Fame

The fact that it was recorded digitally doesn't necessarily mean it was recorded at 16 bit 44.1 kHz. Many recording studios were equipped for 16 bit 48 kHz.

11. JonUrban

JonUrban SHF Member #497

Reports at QQ say that the redbook layer is HDCD as well! Waiting for mine...... :(

12. Espen R

Espen R Senior Member

I got my copy today.
    It surprised me that the SACD layer is that much better than the CD layer considering it's a early PCM recording. The bass goes deeper and it's better defined, there is more presence on Mark's voice and the soundstage is larger and more open on the SACD layer. I think this is as good as it gets, considering BIA is the Dire Straits album that was recorded with the lowest grade of fidelity of them all. The earlyer albums was recorded with analog equipment, and later album in digital with greater solution.

13. detroit muscle

detroit muscle MIA

Having received my copy today, I can confirm the HDCD encoding on the redbook layer.

14. Espen R

Espen R Senior Member

Oouuhh..that explain the big difference in sound quality between the CD and tha SACD layer. :D

15. LeeS

LeeS Music Fan

There were often analog tapes made also during this timeframe. I'm wondering if its possible we have an analog to DSD possibility.

There is a positive review on HTF regarding the disc.

16. ascot

ascot Senior Member

For those who asked, several cuts on the LP were shorter but I don't have the specifics available. In fact, I believe the LP, cassette, and CD were all slightly different in regard to song lengths. I originally owned this on cassette and then CD. I still like this album so I am looking forward to the SACD.

17. Metoo

Metoo Forum Hall Of Fame

Can anybody who has already heard it give his impression on the 5.1 mix on this SACD? It is truly the new thing here. Thank you.

18. SamS

SamS Forum Legend

I ordered a "regular" edition from CD Wow today for $19 shipped. I'll pass on a digipak if it doesn't offer anything different from the standard release.

19. Justin Lane

Justin Lane New Member

Received my copy today from Amazon UK and gave both the 5.1 and stereo tracks a spin. Thoughts are as follows:

1.) Great job on the 5.1 mix. Very appropriate, and slightly on the agressive side which is good for this album. Surrounds are used for background vocals, precussion, and non-guitar instruments at times. Does a really good job of adding a three dimensionality to the recording.

2.) 5.1 mix really brings the vocals to the forefront when compared to the stereo mix. The mix is very detailed and lets the listener into the nuances of the recording.

3.) Stereo mix sounds nice. Can't say it sounded better then the most recent Warner remaster without comparison, but it certainly didn't sound any worse from memory.

All in all, this disc is highly recommended. I will probably end up picking up the DVD-A (or Dual Disc) when it is finally released in the states for video material and for comparison purposes since we will be getting native PCM.

J

20. Justin Lane

Justin Lane New Member

Regular edition is packaged in a Super Jewel Box. I am kind of glad I skipped the limited edition as it did not add anything special and this disc is sure to get heavy rotation, leaving the cardboard digipack to suffer.

J

21. Dave D

Dave D Done!

That LP made me go "uh oh" when I tried to show off the cd compared to the LP. I hadn't done an A/B yet, and my friend came over.....so I'm all hot to show off the cd (just bought my first player)....and when we switched to cd, it was like my woofers died! Yikes! That was a thin sounding disc.

22. MikeT

MikeT Prior Forum Cretin and Current Impatient Creep

My copy showed from amazon.co.uk also, and I agree on all counts regarding the 5.1 mix. This is a stellar showing in 5.1. The mix is very immersive. I would also say it is on the aggressive side, yet not gimmicky at all. I usually know a great surround mix, when the room and speakers totally disappear, leaving the music suspended in the soundstage around me. This is one SACD that is going to get very heavy rotation in 5.1.

"Money for Nothing" has the most gimmicky effect in surround during the intro, where the keyboard swirls around the room while Sting chants "I want my MTV". Other than that the surround mix is a solid affair, truly putting you in the music. "Ride Across the River" actually made me feel I was in a jungle (ok not really :laugh: ), but it was very nicely done. On "The Man's Too Strong" the deep drum/bass sound on the chorus really hit me in the chest.

Sonically, the surround mix was superb. If I hadn't known that this was one of the first all digital recordings from the early years of digital recording, I would have been surprised to find out that it was most likely 48/16 or lower.

The only thing I can see that the "limited edition" digipak adds to the "mix" is that the cover is embossed around the steel guitar, and the guitar sort of has a shiny metallic look to it.

23. Dave D

Dave D Done!

Thanks Mike! Great review as always.
    But I hate you! I want my copy NOW!!!!!! ;)
    I think the whole neighbourhood heard me swear when I went to the mailbox today hoping to find Deadwing (didn't! :realmad: ). Same thing will happen till BIA comes.

24. wildchild

wildchild Active Member

I have the original Quiex promo press and it has all the song's (5 song's side 1, 4 on side 2). Rough times are approximatly 25min. side 1, a little under 20 min. side 2. Oops's you asked for individual time's, my bad :o So far away 3:59,money for nothing 7:04,Walk of life 4:07, Your latest trick 4:46,Why worry 5:22. Side 2 start's with Ride across the river 6:57, The man's to strong 4:36, One world 3:36, and last but not least Brother's in arm's 6:56. Hope to here the multi channel but doubt the 2channel will come even remotely close to my quiex promo press. Peace Todd

25. MikeT

MikeT Prior Forum Cretin and Current Impatient Creep

I guess you will just have to move down here to the good ole' USA :winkgrin: - we seem to be able to purchase discs fairly "cheaply" on line from all around the world and get them very quickly.

Here's hoping you get BIA and Deadwing very soon. Deadwing is another winner in surround, even though it is on DVD-A only.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.