Dire Straits - Brothers in Arms SACD is here!

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by rjstauber, May 24, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Guy R

Guy R Well-Known Member

Hopefully mine will arrive from CDWow before that :eek:

2. Dave D

Dave D Done!

Yeah.....I tried to get Guy to leave that at my place....no luck! Buy it if you even like jazz a little bit.

3. Guy R

Guy R Well-Known Member

Dave, I just checked what was in my Gershwin's World case and there is a little slip of paper in there that says "IOU" and the disc is gone! :eek:

Do you know anything about this?

4. KBanya

KBanya Active Member

Well, I listened to the new ‘BIA’ SACD last night. While it sounds spectacular, I don’t feel it is better than my XRCD…which I had handy to compare it to. I am referring to the 2 ch. Mix by the way. It (the SACD) does appear to be a little less bright than the XRCD. I guess this may be good…if that was what you were expecting. I’ve always been used to this album being bright…right from the beginning…having also had the vinyl and various 12” imports and (I think) all of the promo 12” singles that were released from it. All in all, I think better ears than mine may be required to tell the difference on this one.

Packaging: disappointed. Here was a perfect opportunity to make a killer package for all the fans of this group and album. Remember…this was a worldwide blockbuster album. I had in mind something along the lines of the Pink Floyd ‘DSOTM’ anniversary edition. But, hey, at least we have an SACD of it. With the dwindling volume of these hi-rez. Discs, I guess I can’t complain too much. Also, the price is not bad.

5. Claus

Claus Senior Member

What I said before :righton:

6. Tony Plachy

Tony Plachy Senior Member

Mine is on the way from cd-wow, what is the difference between the regular and limited addition?

7. Dave D

Dave D Done!

Fancy embossed cover digipak.....I think that's it.

8. dabl

dabl Senior Member

First mention I've seen of this good news, where did you hear that?

9. JonUrban

JonUrban SHF Member #497

I got mine. Holy Crap!

WARNING: The following drivel only pertains to the 5.1 mix.

This is incredible. Probably one of the finest 5.1 mixes I have heard. Not gimmicky, not ambient - just superb. It was like hearing the tunes for the first time. Many things that I never heard before! Really.

This is now my ultimate 5.1 demo disc, bar none. Great music, great mix, great sound.

Mark Knopfler has done a great job with this mix. Thanks to him for keeping the surround flag flying this year, with his two solo albums and now this classic.

Listening to the title track was incredible, as was the intro to "Ride Across the River". And the song "Money for Nothing" sounds just like you want it to sound.

This is a killer surround disc. A must have.

Get it! What more can I say? :D

10. Dave D

Dave D Done!

:cry: :cry: :cry:
    I want MY mtv!!!!!

11. Guy R

Guy R Well-Known Member

You are killing me!!! I am going to have to "go postal" if it doesn't arrive soon.

12. Dave D

Dave D Done!

Hey, Up your nose pal....at least you got Deadwing...I'm waiting for BOTH! :D

13. Michael St. Clair

Michael St. Clair Forum Resident

When the source is low-res PCM, do you actually expect the SACD to sound better than a good CD?

14. Guy R

Guy R Well-Known Member

And DeadWing is truly fantastic as well. However, it has already become "last weeks news".
    :eek:

15. soundboy

soundboy Senior Member

I am soooo itching to go multi-channel because of this SACD.

16. Guy R

Guy R Well-Known Member

According to Jon, who's opinion I take great stock in, the 5.1 mix is a cut above in quality, low-rez PCM or not.

17. Guy R

Guy R Well-Known Member

What's holding you back? Go for it!

18. Dave D

Dave D Done!

He'll be ostracized! :laugh:

19. avwh

avwh New Member

Is that the Herbie Hancock SACD?

20. Michael St. Clair

My quote was in response to the comparison of the XRCD and the Stereo DSD. Adding Surround in makes the whole thing apples and oranges.

21. Guy R

Guy R Well-Known Member

Yup. Truly fantastic surround disc in mix and sonics.

22. soundboy

soundboy Senior Member

Now accepting donations at my Paypal account :D

23. Guy R

Guy R Well-Known Member

Sorry. Now I see your meaning.

24. Michael St. Clair

All I'm saying is that, if any of us here is expecting the stereo mix on a low-res pcm sourced SACD to sound much better than a really well-mastered CD that we already have...well, I'd say our expectations are unrealistic. That's all.

25. Tony Plachy

Tony Plachy Senior Member

We all know this was one of the first all digital recordings (DDD :shake: ) of what turned out to be a really popular album. The question is does anyone know if the master recording was done at straight redbook (16/44.1) or was it done better (remember this was 1985 so it is hard to say). If it was done at something better than redbook than the SACD should sound better than any of the CD's assuming no one did something dumb in the remastering. Even if the original master tape is redbook the totally benign filters in the DSD play back chain might make it sound a little better.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.