Dire Straits - Brothers in Arms SACD is here!

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by rjstauber, May 24, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JohnT

JohnT Senior Member

Mine arrived from Amazon.uk today but I won't be home till later. I wish they wouldn't stop with "Brothers In Arms", lots of other great Dire Straits material should go on hi-rez too.

I recently read a blurb about Mark's studio where BIA was done and they mentioned an upcoming Knophler/Emmylou Harris collaboration that was recorded there. I hope it also sees a hi-rez release.

2. Dave D

Dave D Done!

between......?

3. Tony Plachy

Tony Plachy Senior Member

Just got mine from CD-WOW today. Have not heard it yet, "So Far Away" is listed as track one.

4. Dave D

Dave D Done!

IT ALWAYS WAS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

siveld likes this.
  5. nukevor

nukevor Active Member

I must getting old or something. I could have sworn "Money for Nothing" was always track 1!
    ###​

6. Bobo U2

Bobo U2 Active Member

Like Dave said...It was always the first track

7. stereoptic

stereoptic Anaglyphic GORT Staff

I did a google and found this site with pictures of Mark and Emmylou in the studio. (these might have been taken during rthe recording of the tracks for the Hank WIlliams tribute?)

Here's a link to an article in Mix which mentions the collaboration also, and also gives some interesting information about the studio.

8. dprokopy

dprokopy Senior Member

There's a little blurb on the back cover of the booklet stating: "Coming November 2005: The Very Best of Dire Straits & Mark Knopfler. For further updates go to www.mark-knopfler.com." Nothing that I could actually find on the site about it. Wonder if they're planning on a 5.1 release of that, as well...

9. dprokopy

dprokopy Senior Member

...And I don't think anyone else has noted this (and it doesn't seem to be anywhere on the cover), but the redbook layer also appears to be HDCD encoded. (At least, my little "HDCD" indicator on my Windows Media Player says it is.)

10. JonUrban

JonUrban SHF Member #497

It was! Back at post #11.

"So Far Away" has always been track one. Always.

Even after heavy play, this is STILL the best sounding surround SACD to me that I own! :righton:

11. David P. Hill

David P. Hill Forum Resident

I just got my BIA SACD from CDWOW, regular edition, with a SACD jewel case. The jewel case wasn't even shrink-wrapped. It was just in the shipping box. Did anyone else receive their regular edition SACD without shrink wrap? Luckly the sacd wasn't scratched either side. That's the first new cd or sacd that wasn't shrink wrapped. Oh well.

12. soundboy

soundboy Senior Member

I received my regular version SACD from Amazon UK unwrapped as well. The limited edition digipak version is shrink-wrapped though.

13. stereoptic

stereoptic Anaglyphic GORT Staff

Make sure that " So Far Away " didn't shift in the track order during shipping! ;) :laugh:

14. JohnG

JohnG PROG now in Dolby ATMOS!

My Limited Edition digipak SACD from Amazon.uk was shrink-wrapped.

Many times cds from Europe are not shrink-wrapped though. Guess the manufacturers trust the supply chain.

15. SamS

SamS Forum Legend

I got mine from CDWOW today, but it was the digipack!! :realmad:

Looks like it was dropshipped from Honk Kong. :confused:

At least it sounds great :goodie:

16. AudioEnz

AudioEnz Senior Member

Shrink-wrapped CDs is an American phenomenum. The Rest Of The World ™ doesn't normally see shrink-wrapped CDs, unless they're US imports.

17. JonUrban

JonUrban SHF Member #497

Everytime I've gone to London and shopped for CDs, they've always been unsealed in the racks. I don't think they use shrinkwrap over there for jewel boxed discs.

18. JohnT

JohnT Senior Member

Incredible sound on this one, listening to stereo sacd now. :edthumbs:

19. SamS

SamS Forum Legend

Indeed John, incredible sound!

I've only listened to the 5.1 mix, but I should let you guys know.. the CD layer is smashed all to heck with compression/limiting on the new SACD. In fact, it appears to be the same transfer as the '96 redbook remaster. Even odder is that this redbook version is now HDCD encoded. EAC seems to think its the same as my '96 Vertigo remaster :confused:

20. ubsman

ubsman Active Member

Did these come out in Canada today as scheduled? For some unknown reason Amazon hasn't shipped mine out yet.

21. syogusr

syogusr New Member

Got mine today as well, and it was a shrink-wrapped jewel case!

22. Justin Lane

Justin Lane New Member

As did I. Thought it was kind of strange there was no wrapping on the Super Jewel case. Maybe it is up to the retailer to supply the appropriate wrapper or sales casingin Europe.

J

23. ubsman

ubsman Active Member

24. Dave D

Dave D Done!

That explains mine being "non wrapped".

ANYROAD!........

FANTASTIC! Great 5.1 mix. Great sound. I found I liked it more as it got into the "deep cuts". Ride Across The River.......booya!!!!!! :righton:

25. Guy R

Guy R Well-Known Member

Interesting. I got the digipack and it was wrapped. Good thing too as the shipping box was kind of flimsy and it appeared like customs opened the shipping box. The digipack dropped right out when I took it from the mailbox. Sounds fantastic anyway. Definately a demo disc. One of the best surround discs available.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.