Dire Straits - Brothers in Arms SACD is here!

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by rjstauber, May 24, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Espen R

Espen R Senior Member

Well, it surprised me that the SACD stereo layer sounds significant better than the CD layer. It was just as pronounced as with the Dylan, Stones disc etc. This is what I hear.

2. JohnG

JohnG PROG now in Dolby ATMOS!

I wish this had come out 3 weeks ago so it could have been played at the HE2005 in NYC.

This is the kind of disc that can blow people away.

Though I'm also partial to Porcupine Tree's Deadwing, it looks like this is the winner so far for: Best Surround Disc Of The Year!!

And the SACD Stereo layer is no slouch too!

3. GaryW

GaryW New Member

I received mine today too and after giving it a thorough listen I have to say...."Yeah, what he said". Great stuff.

4. Larry Geller

Larry Geller Surround sound lunatic

Must.....hold....out.....for....DVD-A.......! :D

5. Metoo

Metoo Forum Hall Of Fame

Larry, I must break this hard news to you: Santa Claus doesn't exist... ;)

6. Bobo U2

Bobo U2 Active Member

Well Santa works for Amazon.uk.com :winkgrin:
    There will be a DVD-A release and it might have the videos from BIA on it and maybe if we are lucky they will be in 5:1.
    When this will happen???? So Larry drop a 20 and get it now and when it comes out here on DVD-A sell the SACD.

7. Metoo

Metoo Forum Hall Of Fame

You mean like at this Amazon UK? http://www.amazon.co.uk/exec/obidos/search-handle-form/202-6594474-0414258

Sorry Charlie, only the best tasting tuna get to be...

8. LeeS

LeeS Music Fan

Three issues, expanding on what Tony said earlier:

1. Do we know for certain an analog tape (as was common at the time) was not also made? Then we might have an analog to DSD possibility which would definitely sound better if done properly.

2. DSD process can usually lower the jitter on the recording. Lower jitter equals better sound.

3. More modern mastering techniques could yield better sound just like the XRCD did versus the original redbook (it was a huge step up!).

9. JohnG

JohnG PROG now in Dolby ATMOS!

All I know is don't bother waiting for a DVDA when you can buy the SACD today.

If your SACD capable, buy this right now!

10. Grant

Grant Life is a rock, but the radio rolled me!

Yes, the album IS a DDD recording. I thought everyone knew this.

Question is, is the SACD from a digital tape? Whatever...

The songs are too damn long, and it's not my favorite album by a long shot, but i'll probably buy it soon.

11. Michael St. Clair

Michael St. Clair Forum Resident

DDA? DAA? What analog tape? Please clue us in. And while you are at it, explain how PCM->ANALOG->DSD is better than PCM->DSD.

Debateable, but possibly true. Regardless, I never, ever, said that it couldn't sound better, just that having high expectations isn't realistic. It's all relative, and this isn't a new recording or an analog to high-res conversion.

What? New digital EQ? New digital reverb? Please explain to us how much modern 'remastering' other than additional digital processing (shudder) can be done to an old low-res PCM recording. Give specific examples. Even better, I'd like to hear Steve tell us what can be done to improve old PCM recording in the remastering process. Processing like EQ and reverb is certainly nothing that needs DSD.

12. Dave D

Dave D Done!

Posted by our good friend John The Depot Dude on QQ....

13. stereoptic

stereoptic Anaglyphic GORT Staff

Dave, where did you find out about this? Is the US edition going to be SACD or DVD-a?

thanks

14. Dave D

Dave D Done!

I know I read it somewhere.....and Khorn just updated the Canadian release to June, but I don't see the domestic release on any websites yet.

15. Dave D

Dave D Done!

Brian Moura had this on HFR

16. Bobo U2

Bobo U2 Active Member

My question for Mr. Moura is, Why wouldn't Mark Knopfler want to release this on DVD-A for the US market?? Very biased reporting...and from a big supporter of surround. I find this very sad.

p.s. since I'm ranting.....Michael/Lee must every thread about SACD/DVD-A turn into an argument?? The damn disc kicks butt...DSD...PCM...blah blah blah....BORING

17. Dave D

Dave D Done!

Brian is only reporting the facts. Brian's a good dude and brings us lots of great info. Lay off him.

As for the DSD/PCM talk......it was only a matter of time. If it sounds good, who gives a twinkies tush about the technical crap.

18. Guy R

Guy R Well-Known Member

Brian is a very staunch SACD supporter but I don't see any bias in this report. All he is saying is that a DVD-A or DualDisc will be released later in the year and Knopfler may not support the DualDisc format so it will probably be DVD-A.

19. Dave D

Dave D Done!

AND.......Warner is the rights owner of Dire Straits/MK....so the chance of an SACD are about the same as me waking up tomorrow without body hair.

20. Guy R

Guy R Well-Known Member

Keep the hair. Who cares about whether it is released on DVD-A as long as it is obtainable and has a great surround mix and sonics as this SACD release obviously does from all reports. I'm just glad it is available on one of the hi-rez formats.

21. Dave D

Dave D Done!

Please note that I mean WARNER releasing SACD.....it might still come over here a la Avalon.

22. Guy R

Guy R Well-Known Member

It's already available for a good price from Europe so this really doesn't matter either. In fact I think it ended up being cheaper than it no doubt would have been here based on other SACD pricing that we have here.

23. KBanya

KBanya Active Member

I expect ALL remasters/reissues to sound better! That is generally the whole point in the re-do! Does it happen all the time is a different matter.

24. Dave D

Dave D Done!

EXPECT being the operative word. Doesn't always happen. Huey Lewis remasters anyone?

25. Tony Plachy

Tony Plachy Senior Member

I was told at HE2005 by people from other labels that as long as WB has the DS rights in the US there will be NO official BIA SACD release in the US. You will have to get them as imports through the web. :(

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.