The theoretical British Rock 'n' Roll Hall of Fame YEAR SIX!

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by gilbert green, Apr 28, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. gilbert green

gilbert green Forum Resident Thread Starter

Welcome to the theoretical British Rock 'n' Roll Hall of Fame (TTBRNRHOF) YEAR SIX!

Continued from here:

http://www.stevehoffman.tv/forums/showthread.php?t=211577
    http://www.stevehoffman.tv/forums/showthread.php?t=212536
    http://www.stevehoffman.tv/forums/showthread.php?t=213200
    http://www.stevehoffman.tv/forums/showthread.php?t=213606
    http://www.stevehoffman.tv/forums/showthread.php?t=214431

Feel free to hit the links for an explanation and background.

OK, year five was a real nail biter. Cream are in and Cat did well enough to get in too. The Spencer Davis Group are also in, which proves that a runner-up can indeed become a winner. However, John Mayall once again fell short and The Move were as close as a group can be. 38.71%, people! One or two more votes and they would have made it. Not to worry though, they'll get another go round this year.

So far, this is who's in:

The Kinks (95.59%)
    The Beatles (89.37%)
    The Who (86.67%)
    The Rolling Stones (85.85%)
    The Yardbirds (82.35%)
    The Animals (81.62%)
    Cream (80.65%)
    The Hollies (70.75%)
    The Zombies (66.18%)
    Dusty Springfield (59.43%)
    Cliff Richard & The Shadows (58.45%)
    Donovan (54.07%)
    The Moody Blues (52.59%)
    The Dave Clark Five (49.76%)
    The Spencer Davis Group (49.46%)
    Lonnie Donegan (48.79%)
    The Small Faces (45.19%)
    The Searchers (44.34%)
    Cat Stevens (44.09%)
    Gerry and The Pacemakers (43.40%)

And from year one when we had double the number of inductees:

Petula Clark (30.92%)
    Alexis Korner (29.95%)
    Joe Meek (28.02%)
    Johnny Kidd & the Pirates (20.77%)

Eligible in year six are new artistes from the great year of 1967 as well as some runners-up from last year. Some serious stuff this year! Bowie and Al Stewart are up, even though their '67 debut albums were flops. I bet the debuts of John Martyn, Nirvana and The Bonzos sold more. We also have Brian Auger and Julie Driscoll, who made records together, but more apart, so they are nominated individually. Also, also, Nirvana...that's the British band. You knew that.

So, once again, thanks for taking part. Please VOTE, DISCUSS and COMMENT and help keep this thing active and vibrant!!!

2. JulesDassin

JulesDassin Forum Resident In Memoriam

Pink Floyd,David Bowie,The Bee Gees,The MOVE... and in a somewhat shocking choice Kaleidoscope in and Traffic wait till next year... wait a minute arn't the Bee Gees Australian ? If you let them in(and you should cause I voted for them) YNOT have on the ballet The Jimi Hendrix Experience ? two genuine Englishmen were in that group.

3. John54

John54 Senior Member

I went with some big names: Bee Gees, David Bowie, Pink Floyd, Procol Harum, Al Stewart. I probably listen a lot more to the Move and the Tremeloes and maybe even Traffic and the Incredible String Band than some of them, but I'm willing to put my tastes aside to some extent to bow to critical acclaim.

I still want Herman's Bloody Hermits on the poll though!

4. Henryflowr

Henryflowr Honorary Toastmaster Emeritus Runner-Up

I've grown predictable, voted for Johns Martyn, Mayall, and Renbourn, the ISB, and Al Stewart. I'll let others vote for Bowie and Floyd, and be happy when they make it in.

5. misterdecibel

misterdecibel Bulbous Also Tapered

Bonzos
    Bowie
    Floyd
    Move
    Traffic

6. JulesDassin

JulesDassin Forum Resident In Memoriam

Oh just found out the Brothers Gibb are actually English Natives(i apologize for being stupid)...but still would like to vote for the Jimi Hendrix Experience in honor of Noel Redding singing that all time smash She So Fine.

7. Maidenpriest

Maidenpriest Setting the controls for the heart of the sun :)

Where's the Jimi Hendrix Experience and The Monkees, also Crosby Stills and Nash all containing Brits but I think we are too early for CSN? The Crazy World Of Arthur Brown and The Purple Gang should also be included!

8. Roninblues

Roninblues 猿も木から落ちる。

Floyd & Mayall, ya'll.

9. Ringmaster_D

Ringmaster_D Surfer of Sound Waves

Bee Gees, Bowie, Pink Floyd, Procol Harum & Traffic. Big names that can't be denied. Makes me wish for one more slot to get to vote for The Move again!

10. Oatsdad

Oatsdad Oat, Biscuits, Abbie & Mitzi: Best Dogs Ever

Bowie, Bee Gees, Floyd, Traffic...

11. John B Good

John B Good Forum Hall Of Fame

I've voted for the ones I knew of, then, ca 1967-69.

I would definitely vote for Bowie, and Rod Stewart, etc, but not until the 70s, which is when I became aware of them..

12. gilbert green

Dude, these guys were in year three (and four?) and did very poorly. Where were you? ;)

13. zen

zen Senior Member

Procol Harum

14. misterdecibel

misterdecibel Bulbous Also Tapered

Bonzos aren't doing well, but it's nice to see Traffic with a comfortable margin.

15. Pink Floyd
    The Move
    The Bee Gees
    The Bonzo Dog Doo Dah Band
    David Bowie

Very close: Traffic, Procol Harum, John Renbourn, John Martyn, The Troggs, & The Incredible String Band

16. JA Fant

JA Fant Well-Known Member

Gotta have both Bowie & Traffic in that number...

17. gilbert green

I think like most people, I consider The Jimi Hendrix Experience, Monkees and Crosby Stills and Nash to be American groups. The JHE I can kinda see because they were formed in the UK, had English managers, recorded in London and were on the London scene, generally. However I think I brought this up earlier (along with Scott Walker and PJ Proby) and the response was generally negative. But let's discuss this further.

Perhaps you'll find comfort in the fact that The Hollies are in? Maybe one year Fat Mattress will get a nomination. :)

Arthur Brown will absolutely be in the class of '68. He's a real favourite of mine. As for the purple gang, I doubt they'll be nominated. I know they had a hit, but I doubt they'll get many votes. Honestly, I'd rather have underground groups like Tomorrow, Tintern Abbey, July and The Attack on the nomination list...

18. Yankee8156

Yankee8156 Senior Member

Bee Gees
    Bowie
    Pink Floyd
    Procol Harum
    Traffic

The Troggs are on the bubble. Might get a Year 7 vote from me depending on what the nominee class looks like.

19. Maidenpriest

Maidenpriest Setting the controls for the heart of the sun :)

Although the other groups i tend to agree with you, but..... you are way off regarding The Jimi Hendrix Experience they couldn't be more British ie originated in London, Carnaby street etc 2 thirds English musicians including there Manager had to make it big here before the USA would even look at them!! THEY ARE BRITSH with a very important band member being from the USA but Jimi said he was an adopted Brit!! :righton:

Band Of Gypsys is American but the original Experince is more English than a lot of bands with all members who were British, and should be included:shake: and were inducted into the UK Music Rock Hall thingy that was recently disbanded!!

20. gilbert green

The thing you said about the formation, managers, etc. of the Hendrix experience is almost exactly what I said earlier! I agree with you.

How about I have a round for "honorary Brits"....folks like Hendrix, Scott Walker, PJ Proby, Suzi Quatro, etc. who lived, worked (died!) and had substantial success in the UK.

21. Robertazimmerman

Robertazimmerman Member

Yup!

22. Yardbird

Yardbird Forum Resident

Incredible String Band
    John Mayall
    Pink Floyd
    Procol Harum
    Traffic

23. TLMusic

TLMusic Musician & record collector

Very tough to pick only five this go round...

Bee Gees
    David Bowie
    John Mayall
    Pink Floyd
    Traffic

24. gilbert green

This looks like the big 5, with Procol teetering on the edge...

25. Who the hell is Mike Westbrook? Sorry Mike, but you can't be in any RnR Hall of Fame if I haven't heard of you. :D

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.