The theoretical British Rock 'n' Roll Hall of Fame YEAR FOUR!

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by gilbert green, Apr 13, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. gilbert green

gilbert green Forum Resident Thread Starter

Welcome to the theoretical British Rock 'n' Roll Hall of Fame (TTBRNRHOF) YEAR FOUR!

Continued from here:

http://www.stevehoffman.tv/forums/showthread.php?t=211577
    http://www.stevehoffman.tv/forums/showthread.php?t=212536
    http://www.stevehoffman.tv/forums/showthread.php?t=213200

Please hit the links for an explanation and background.

In year three, the Big Four inductees were The Kinks, The Yardbirds, The Animals and The Zombies. Nice job boys! Although some others did quite well (Them, Pretty things, Manfred Mann, Herman's Hermits) they didn't receive enough votes to qualify. Better luck this year, chaps. Predictably, Dave Berry and Delia Derbyshire didn't do very well, but at least we had a nice chat about them and some of us agreed on how cool they were.

So far, this is who's in:

The Kinks (95.59%)
    The Beatles (89.37%)
    The Rolling Stones (85.85%)
    The Yardbirds (82.35%)
    The Animals (81.62%)
    The Hollies (70.75%)
    The Zombies (66.18%)
    Dusty Springfield (59.43%)
    Cliff Richard & The Shadows (58.45%)
    The Dave Clark Five (49.76%)
    Lonnie Donegan (48.79%)
    The Searchers (44.34%)
    Gerry and The Pacemakers (43.40%)

And from year one when we had double the number of inductees:

Petula Clark (30.92%)
    Alexis Korner (29.95%)
    Joe Meek (28.02%)
    Johnny Kidd & the Pirates (20.77%)

This year, we will see some new faces from 1965 and a few good ones from last year. Let's see how they battle it out. The big one this year is The Who, but will they beat The Kinks % record? And, tragically there was no room for Hedgehoppers Anonymous, The Barron Knights or Twinkle. Maybe next year.

So, once again, thanks for taking part. Please VOTE and COMMENT and help keep this thing active and vibrant!!!

2. Landis

Landis Well-Known Member

I have Donovan, The Who, The Moody Blues, The Pretty Things and yes Tom Jones. I think the Who might break the Kinks record.

3. zen

zen Senior Member

Donovan, The Who and The Moody Blues

4. misterdecibel

misterdecibel Bulbous Also Tapered

SDG, Donovan, SF, Them, Who

5. klonk

klonk Forum Resident

The Who, Small Faces and the Pretty Things

6. gilbert green

It simply wasn't meant to be...

7. Spencer Davis Group
    Manfred Mann
    Moody Blues
    Small Faces
    The Who

Best Wishes
    David

8. Landis

Landis Well-Known Member

Well, I guess the people who are not voting for the Who probably don't like the the Who anyway. :o

9. Gazman

Gazman Active Member

I've changed tack following Dave Berry's disastrous showing last year and will let the big wigs take care of themselves!

I have given Unit 4 + 2 a vote as I love their original songs. I've only recently got into Graham Bond's '65 stuff and think they rock!:)

I couldn't not vote for the Spencer Davis Group as I listen to them at least once a week, and The Action are old faves whose singer was better than any of the others on the list, excepting perhaps the two Stevies.

10. gilbert green

Very nice! I too love Unit 4 +2 especially their final single. The Action (they got my vote!) are one of my favourite groups of the 60s, but mostly for their great lost '68 album.

My underdog vote this year went to the great Bert Jansch.

11. rediffusion

rediffusion Forum Resident

Donovan, Manfred Mann, Small Faces, Them, The Who

12. John B Good

John B Good Forum Hall Of Fame

I'm a little surprised about Donovan doing so well, vote-wise.

13. m5comp

m5comp Classic Rock Lover

Manfred Mann, Marianne Faithfull, The Small Faces, The Moody Blues, and...The Who!

14. Rachael Bee

Rachael Bee Miembra muy loca

I want to make write-in votes for King Crimson, Savoy Brown, and The Move.

15. Henryflowr

Henryflowr Honorary Toastmaster Emeritus Runner-Up

Can I give all five of my votes to Jansch?

I went with Jansch, Carthy, the Who, Mayall, and Donovan.

16. gilbert green

Wait for '69 for King Crimson and '66 for the Move. Not sure about if and when Savoy Brown will get nominated. Foghat maybe...;)

17. gilbert green

I believe Donovan is one of the most influential figures in British music history. He could be considered the father of psychedelia, singer-songwriters, freak-folk and even trip-hop. Without him would we have had Sgt. Pepper, Pink Floyd, T.Rex, Incredible String band, Led Zeppelin, Cat Stevens, David Bowie, etc. etc.?

It's great to see him acknowledged!

18. Rachael Bee

Rachael Bee Miembra muy loca

There might not have been a Foghat without Savoy Brown? Savoy Brown was very interesting for a decade. I didn't understand the years thang....now I vaguely do. King Crimson was out in '68 before their album hit.

19. Landis

Landis Well-Known Member

Sorry I voted for Donovan he was influential but we would have had Sgt. Pepper, Led Zeppelin and Pink Floyd without him. Let's not get carried away about trip-hop either.

20. gilbert green

Yeah, the Savoy Brown comment I made was a joke. :nyah:

No, they were called Giles, Giles & Fripp (would LOVE to nominate them for '68) and when Peter Giles left to be replaced by Greg Lake they became KC. That was January '69, believe it or not. What a quick rise to fame!

21. gilbert green

Those exotic-spiritual-twee funky-folk-pop-jazz records Donovan was making in the mid-60s had a huge impact on all the above mentioned genres and artists. He clearly had an influence on McCartney's production needs and Syd Barrett's childlike writing. Yes, "would we have had" was hyperbole, but in a standard rock-journalism kind of way. :)

22. monewe

monewe Forum Resident

Strange list as some of them Martin Carthy, The Watersons, Donovan and Bert Jansch are considered folk over here.

Most of the others were not considered major acts here and a lot didn't have any or few hits outside the 60's.

23. misterdecibel

misterdecibel Bulbous Also Tapered

Not to mention he taught John Lennon some fingerstyle guitar tricks.

24. Landis

Landis Well-Known Member

I am sure Donovan influenced the Beatles and Pink Floyd. Donovan was influenced by Rubber Soul if you read Donovan autobiography. I don't want to take away from Donovan but to be honest I am getting tired that everyone should take the credit for influencing Sgt. Pepper. Everyone has influences but Rubber Soul and Revolver were the opening acts for Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band and Magical Mystery Tour not Donovan.

25. Galaga King

Galaga King "Drive where the cops ain't"

Come in, how can you NOT vote for The Who?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.