Black Sabbath Paranoid Deluxe Edition

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by TommyTunes, Aug 4, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. TommyTunes

TommyTunes Senior Member Thread Starter

Just got this coming Sept. 29th

Black Sabbath Paranoid Deluxe 3CD Set.
    Overview
    Tony Iommi, Geezer Butler, Bill Ward, Ozzy Osbourne – four names that resonate throughout Rock’s recorded history as clear and sublime as the haunting bell that tolls the opening to their eponymous debut album from 1970.

Collectively, they formed Black Sabbath and forged the most haunting and hypnotic rock sound of all time. From humble beginnings, the Birmingham quartet enslaved the minds and souls of millions of rock fans around the world and continue to do so into the new millennium. The musical genre they created inspired countless musicians and spawned countless bands, all of which have attempted to emulate the Heavy Metal originators. Few have come close to rival the uniquely powerful musical make-up of the all powerful Black Sabbath.

Now, for the first time-ever, the blueprint, or rather black-print, to Sabbath’s musical plan can be scrutinised via a myriad of previously unreleased studio outtakes, recently unearthed and compiled as additional bonus discs accompanying the band genre defining 1970 album Paranoid.

Paranoid is the second album by the British heavy metal band Black Sabbath. It was released in the United Kingdom during September 1970, and contains some of their most famous work, including the songs "Iron Man", "War Pigs" and the title track.
    The album is regarded as a classic of the heavy metal genre and one of the most influental heavy metal albums. It has been certified 4 x Platinum, having sold over four million copies in the US alone, making it Black Sabbath's best-selling album.

The "Paranoid" single, released before the album, reached number four in the UK. Pushed by its success, the album hit number one in the UK, and is the only Black Sabbath album to have done so. The US release was held until January 1971, as the Black Sabbath album was still on the charts at the time of Paranoid's UK release. The album broke into the top ten in the US in March 1971, and would go on to sell four million copies in the US alone, with virtually no radio airplay.

Allmusic's Steve Huey, who cites Paranoid as "one of the greatest and most influential heavy metal albums of all time", which "defined the sound and style of heavy metal more than any other record in rock history".

Paranoid is expanded to a triple-disc containing the extremely rare 1974 Quadrophonic mix of the album. The album also includes deluxe digipak gatefold packaging with expanded booklets containing rare and previously unseen photographs, comprehensive sleeve-notes telling the story behind each album and include images of rare single covers and memorabilia from the period.

Paranoid is the first release in a set of Black Sabbath deluxe expanded editions. Each remastered album includes an additional disc of previously unheard outtakes, demos and instrumental tracks taken from the original studio sessions

Tracklisting
    Disc 1 (Original Album):
    1. War Pigs
    2. Paranoid
    3. Planet Caravan
    4. Iron Man
    5. Electric Funeral
    6. Hand Of Doom
    7. Rat Salad
    8. Fairies Wear Boots
    Disc 2 (1974 Quadrophonic Mix):
    1. War Pigs
    2. Paranoid
    3. Planet Caravan
    4. Iron Man
    5. Electric Funeral
    6. Hand Of Doom
    7. Rat Salad
    8. Fairies Wear Boots
    Disc 3
    (Previously Unreleased Bonus Tracks):
    (Tracks 1-8 recorded at Regent Sound Studios, 16 & 17/ 6 / 70)
    1. War Pigs (instrumental)
    2. Paranoid (alternative lyrical version)
    3. Planet Caravan (alternative lyrical version)
    4. Iron Man (instrumental)
    5. Electric Funeral (instrumental)
    6. Hand Of Doom (instrumental)
    7. Rat Salad (instrumental)
    8. Fairies Wear Boots (instrumental)

2. Pdog

Pdog Forum Resident

Anyway to tell which mix, the original mix on disc one will be. I've heard so many nersions, I can't tell anymore.

3. rbichamp

rbichamp Senior Member

Wow, this looks great! Very excited to hear the 1974 Quadrophonic Mixes and also the alternative lyrical versions.

4. Almost Simon

Almost Simon Forum Resident

Looks interesting. Does it really need to be a 3CD collection though? Surely you could fit this all on 2 CD's?? :confused:

5. Humm....interesting.

I wonder what format will be used for the quad mix. If this follows recent patterns, I am guessing it will be Dolby Digital, rather than DVD-A, although if it is on a standlone disc, there is no reason that they could not include both.

Brian

6. leopoldstotch

leopoldstotch New Member

Is there any hope at all that the mastering of this deluxe set will be any good?

7. Pdog

Pdog Forum Resident

You can charge more.

8. 5-String

5-String μηδὲν ἄγαν

There is always hope :)

9. Almost Simon

:agree: Exactly. I guess it also looks nicer as a product separating the 3 formats but the 3rd disc does seem a little light. Instrumentals?? I'd be happier with a live concert from the era rather than a disc of instrumetal outtakes that i'll never listen too.

10. TommyTunes

TommyTunes Senior Member Thread Starter

The price on the web site that I saw it on had it 13 sterling, I'd say that was pretty CHEAP.

Guys why oh why, everytime something nice gets announced all the negative immediatly show up? This is a classic rock album, every CD version readily available pretty much sucks and the alternate quad mix will be finally available. Yet everybody cheers each time some obscure Blue Note gets released. Personnally I'd rather have this.

How about looking at the positive side.

11. audiospirit

audiospirit Active Member

Nice news.Hopefully mastering will be OK.

12. JayB

JayB Senior Member

Though I'm leery about how it will sound I'm in it for the outtakes/quad mix.

13. The Panda

The Panda Forum Mutant

Throwing Blue Suede Shoes on there would've been nice, I don't think a lot of people have heard it.

14. dkmonroe

dkmonroe A completely self-taught idiot

What website has it for 13 sterling? I might just be able to justify that!

15. Almost Simon

Dont get me wrong, it looks a good idea but surely for a Deluxe Edition you would expect some extra's..................and instrumental outtakes do not make a great deluxe edition imo. Sorry but i'd be right up for this if they were actually offering something rather than 2 different mixes of the same record and instrumentals.

16. agentalbert

agentalbert Senior Member

An official dvd of the Paris 1970 show would be a nice inclusion.

17. dkmonroe

I dunno, it sounds like a pretty comprehensive set to me. Sabbath aren't the Stones - they probably didn't record 50 different songs in order to pick 8 and call it an album.

I'd say in this set you're getting pretty much everything the Paranoid sessions have to offer. Not too shabby, IMO.

18. Almost Simon

In recording sessions terms you're probably right. A live disk or DVD would've added some variety though. But nevermind. Hopefully the other reissues in the series will have a bit more to them.

19. JayB

JayB Senior Member

I agree, but I don't think there's really much left from those sessions, don't forget I'm sure these guys didn't have a big recording budget at the time..check this out from wiki;

The album's eponymous single "Paranoid" was written in the studio at the last minute. As drummer Bill Ward explains: "We didn't have enough songs for the album, and Tony just played the [Paranoid] guitar lick and that was it. It took twenty, twenty-five minutes from top to bottom."[2] The song was written with no intention of it being a successful hit for the band, only to be a filler on the album.

Now bring on the other albums as well!!

20. peelmeanemma

peelmeanemma New Member

And about bloody time! The out-takes were found several years ago and it feels like we've been waiting for a long time.

Only problem that may mar this, is of course the mastering...

21. rcdupre

rcdupre Flying is Trying is Dying

I'd rather have the instrumental versions over a live show from the era, they pretty much sucked live in 1970...1st thing that came to my mind was that they'd include the Olympia Paris 12-20-70 show though...

22. Pdog

Pdog Forum Resident

i am positive this will be about the 5th time I buy this album...

23. dkmonroe

Where do you get this from? The Olympia Paris show is freakishly great! What have you heard live from them that "sucked"?

24. Chris M

Chris M Senior Member In Memoriam

There is only one original mix.

25. Chris M

Chris M Senior Member In Memoriam

I'm not sure but it looks like all of the disc 3 contents are completely different performances recorded at a different studio. I don't think they are instrumental mixes of the released versions.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.