Black Sabbath Paranoid Deluxe Edition

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by TommyTunes, Aug 4, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. bare trees

bare trees Senior Member

Is this a Rhino release or is this being handled by Sabbath's European label?

2. rcdupre

rcdupre Flying is Trying is Dying

Fillmore West 11-22-70 and the Paris show

3. seg763

seg763 Senior Member

is disc 2 a stereo cd like the Jefferson Airplane - volunteers bonus tracks, those were 'quad mixes' but presented in stereo on a cd

4. Claus

Claus Senior Member

found that in my mailbox (June 2007). I hope that is true... the label is Sanctuary

"I am currently working on black sabbath for sanctuary, I have got the original tapes to work with, I have also listened to the original vinyl & CD re-issues. THE CD ISSUES ARE VERY BRIGHT, I remember buying these on vinyl and they didn’t sound like the CD’s , THE TAPES SOUND AS I REMEMBER THEM! So they won’t be re-issued with over EQ’d top end.

Andy Pearce

5. Jeff Carney

Jeff Carney Fan Of Specifics (No Koolaid)

There aren't many performances available from 1970, and those that exist are universally praised and considered insanely good, ttbomk, so I think the comment from Mr. Dupre is perhaps confusing Black Sabbath with another of his musical interests.

The only thing I've heard from them in 1970 that I find less than inspired is their performance of "Iron Man" and "Paranoid" from the Beat Club TV show in Germany, which hardly "sucks" but they seem a bit tired, aren't even using their amps, etc...

Still, I can't imagine anyone actually attempting to form an opinion of the 1970 live shows from based on this, so I suspect my original hunch is correct.

6. Claus

Claus Senior Member

I don't care... if Sanctuary will release a 2 or 3 CD set. I only would like to hear a better sound like the Black Box disaster or the Castle remasters.

7. JayB

JayB Senior Member

Here's hoping!!!

8. dkmonroe

dkmonroe A completely self-taught idiot

Never saw/heard the Fillmore but if you think the Paris show "sucked", then, oh well. I can't agree with you.

9. Jeff Carney

Fillmore was never one of my favorites but I don't recall anything particularly bad about it. Some of the boot versions apparently ran fast and were annoying, but I think I got a version that was corrected. I'd need to revisit that one but I can assure you that your general comment about their live shows in 1970 is truly unique.

And if Paris 1970 (now felt to probably be from Brussells, Belgium) "sucks," then I kid you not, "rock music" as a concept should be shut down:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xtqy4DTHGqg

What do you want? :laugh:

10. rcdupre

:laugh: Sinatra would at least have agreed with that...not to digress but I have a lot of live seventies Sabbath and they were never a great live band, they got better as the seventies progressed up 'till about 1976 and then back downhill...but anyway, I'm looking forward to hearing the instrumental versions!

11. Jeff Carney

Ozzy could be a bit hit and miss live but once one understands his sort of "let it fly," almost pre-punk approach to singing, he's nearly always enjoyable.

Other than this, I'm lost as to what you're hearing, and I've heard plenty to judge them by.

12. Jeff Carney

Claus,

Can you get in touch with Pearce and see if he mastered this? It's been over a year since the topic of this release was at hand.

13. kwadguy

kwadguy Senior Member

It's annoying that they didn't see fit to include any of these bonus tracks on the expensive Black Sabbath "complete" boxed set a while back. Of course, that just improves the odds of another purchase (the whole idea...)

I am not sure I'd call the quad mix "extremely rare". I might say that the quad reel tape is very rare. But the quad mix also came out on LP and 8-track, and is scarce but not "extremely rare" in either of those formats.

14. Dalziel53

Dalziel53 Senior Member

There are two threads going on Black Sabbath Paranoid. One is for the SACD and one is for the Deluxe Edition. The track listings look similar and I believe both are by Santuary.

Are these both different (the SACD has 16 tracks listed for the 3rd disk)? ...or are they connected?

15. Jeff Carney

You mean the Sanctuary "Complete Replica 1970-1978" boxset?

16. kwadguy

kwadguy Senior Member

The one that contained the 8 original albums, plus a short 9th CD (or was it a DVD?) with four more tracks.

17. Jeff Carney

Okay, gotcha...

Black Box was issued on Rhino. Despite being almost universally panned here due to massive amounts of compression being employed, this was released by a completely different company as it was a US release and Warner own the US rights.

The pending release is from Universal, who acquired the Sanctuary catalog.

18. PhilCohen

PhilCohen Forum Resident

Andy Pearce is an excellent remastering & noise reduction engineer. I worked with him in 1992 on "The Yardbirds-Train Kept A-Rollin'(The Complete Giorgio Gomelsky Productions)". He did the analogue to digital transfers, and(tastefully used) CEDAR noise reduction. We only de-hissed(moderately) 3 songs(they would have otherwise been distractingly noisy), so noise reduction was otherwise used only to remove electrical static pops, and to de-click 5 songs taken from vinyl.

For example, Andy auditioned for me several attempts to take out crackles from clipping distortion on on "I'm Not Talking" & "I Ain't Done Wrong". We went as far as we could towards removing these noises. To go any further would have colored(and affected the attack of) the snare drum. Andy is good at recognizing that you have to find the right balance between a desire to correct tape or recording defects, and the desire to avoid damaging the musical contents.

The Black Sabbath recordings are in good hands.

19. BIG ED

BIG ED Forum Resident

How do you playback the quad?
    Or, is it just a mix-down?
    Thanks.

20. zen

zen Senior Member

It's Ozzy Karioke time.

21. therockman

therockman Senior Member In Memoriam

Yeah?:confused:

22. johmbolaya

johmbolaya Active Member

You're kidding me? I don't mind quad fold downs or the vinyl pressings, but the discrete quad mix is great for Paranoid, plus it will give a lot of fans a chance to hear "War Pigs" without "Luke's Wall", in other words it ends properly without the speed up.

I do like the idea of having instrumentals, and there are two sides of looking at it (well there's more, but I only care about two):

1) It will be a chance to hear these songs sans vocals
    2) It will be a chance for Black Sabbath to license them for advertising

Let's face it, there's more "classic rock" music on television than ever, and artists/producers are now able to create special instrumental mixes (not unlike the Flaming Lips) specifically for advertising purposes.

23. zen

zen Senior Member

3) and let us not forget Karioke fun.

24. johmbolaya

johmbolaya Active Member

That's ka-ra-o-ke, spell it and say it correctly. :realmad: :realmad: :realmad:

25. rcdupre

ok then....:sigh:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.