Black Sabbath Paranoid Deluxe Edition

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by TommyTunes, Aug 4, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. antonkk

antonkk Senior Member

Anyone got it? I saw this one today but was afraid to pick up...:D

2. Krivers

Krivers Forum Resident

Does anybody even know yet if its 2 CDs and 1 DVD or 3 CDs? Information on this has been sketchy at best.

3. Claus

Claus Senior Member

2 CD + 1 DVD

4. Krivers

Krivers Forum Resident

Do we know who did the remaster? Andy Pearce has been rumoured.

5. MikeT

MikeT Prior Forum Cretin and Current Impatient Creep

FWIW - my copy has entered the shipping stage from Amazon.co.uk. So I guess I will have it as quickly as the Royal Mail can get it to the USPS!

6. aoxomoxoa

aoxomoxoa I'm an ear sitting in the sky

Is the DVD region free?

7. krlpuretone

krlpuretone Forum Resident

hmmm....

Paranoid is the first release in a set of Black Sabbath deluxe expanded editions. Each remastered album includes an additional disc of previously unheard outtakes, demos and instrumental tracks taken from the original studio sessions.

8. Claus

Claus Senior Member

Andy Pearce did the first 3 remasters... 2nd batch coming in May/June.

9. krlpuretone

krlpuretone Forum Resident

10. leonardpcarter

leonardpcarter New Member

I just got a copy of this in the mail yesterday. Ordered it from Amazon UK last week. It played fine on my blu-ray player which is not PAL compatable. The version I received is NTSC 16X9 and all region 1 thru 8. There is a slow moving video of various Paranoid album covers that plays throughout the album. There are two audio selections on the DVD -- a 5.1 DTS version and a Linear PCM 2.0 version. As reported earlier in this thread, the liner notes indicate "Re-mastered by Andy Pearce @ Masterpiece." I do not consider myself qualified to judge the audio quality. I'll leave that to the experts on this forum. I'm just glad to have it for the quad mix and the bonus material.

11. Javimulder

Javimulder New Member

DTS is right for surround, stereo is Dolby Digital, though!

12. privit1

privit1 Senior Member

Though it does say LPCM on the cover so top marks for the Universal Proof readers again, or was that just another late change ?

13. aoxomoxoa

aoxomoxoa I'm an ear sitting in the sky

Mine came today and I am listening to the surround disc. I have to say I am a little confused because it says it is the original Quad mix but it is in 5.1. So this had to have been remixed for 5.1 and not the original Quad mix. It actually sounds better in stereo.

14. MikeT

MikeT Prior Forum Cretin and Current Impatient Creep

I thought the same thing about the Quad mix - I noticed it was mixed to both the center channel and subwoofer. I also found, after two listens, that I don't really think the Quad (5.1 mix) is that good. It is ok - but nothing special (and I usually like crazy, out there, surround mixes - and this is not one of them - nor is it just ambient in the rears.).

15. budlyte

budlyte Forum Resident

16. budlyte

budlyte Forum Resident

duplicate post

17. Javimulder

Javimulder New Member

Yeah, a merge would be good... :)

18. yesstiles

yesstiles Senior Member

I received my 3-disc set today. It took about 8 days, ordered from CdWow for $17.99, no tax and free shipping.

Weird that it came from Hong Kong. Can't wait to listen to it.

19. jon9091

jon9091 Master Of Reality

Wow...did you have a coupon or something? They show it for £13.99, which is $20.83.

20. dkmonroe

dkmonroe A completely self-taught idiot

They put it on sale periodically. I ordered it for $17.99 last Saturday. It was back up to $19.99 on Monday.

21. rbichamp

rbichamp Senior Member

If these threads don't get merged, I wanted to let the followers of this thread know what I just posted in the other. There is a 1994 promo CD called "The Bible According To Black Sabbath" that appears to have a unique mastering. I have 3 Paranoid era samples available and would love to know (via the other thread) how they compare to the new deluxe edition CD release.

The thread is located here.

22. PacificOceanBlue

PacificOceanBlue Senior Member

Any current thoughts on this from those who have purchased this? Do they sound like alternate takes?

23. dkmonroe

dkmonroe A completely self-taught idiot

I don't see much difference between them and the originals. The alternate "Paranoid" and "Planet Caravan" have alternate lyrics/vocal performances, and PC has an alternate guitar solo. The rest of them sound like rawer versions of the familiar tracks. It's interesting, fun for instant home karoke, probably not something you'll play again and again.

Why they didn't include the already-issued "Walpurgis" track is a mystery to me. I don't own The Ozzman Cometh, and don't intend to.

24. Baron Von Talbot

Baron Von Talbot Well-Known Member

War Pigs sounds like a brand new/different (probably earlier) take. I find it interesting to hear 'shadows' or traces from Ozzy's vocals throu out the tune - let me suggest one thing to those who have this set - simply import both cd's immediately into your iTunes folder and play them in a row or mix them - quality listening that way - I can't get enough of those lead riffs lingering in the room - sometimes I move far to the back of the room and try to touch these guitar riffs - they are that heavy ! After that it is nice to hear a familiar track with Ozzy - before hearing another fresh take on those classics in their raw basic track glory - This is definitely the best use of bonus trax on a luxury edition. Scrap those B-sides and studio outtakes / alternative versions- live jams no one needs.
    This opens another view upon these classic songs and I appreciate that very very much - I also love the sometimes raw and uncut sound. The regular Paranoid 0 CD 1 sounds good to these ears, too, not overly loud and in ya face, but heavier and slower than ever - at least that is how I perceive it - mixed with those old basic trax !
    A must have for every fan of Paranoid imo ! :cheers:

25. Baron Von Talbot

Baron Von Talbot Well-Known Member

Oh my gosh - reading all these speculations makes my head spin backwards - it is a 2 CD and 1 DVD set - not a 3 SA CD set as far as I am concerned or is this thread about another set ?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.