Jethro Tull - Aqualung 40th Anniversary Special Edition (part2)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by MilesSmiles, Nov 5, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. therockman

therockman Senior Member In Memoriam

I thought that the loud noises during My God on the original stereo tracks were so bad that over a week ago I called them defects and talked on this thread about an exchange or recall, but NOBODY else seemed concerned. :help:

2. therockman

The tick is on Crosseyed Mary.

3. Ed Hughes

Ed Hughes Senior Member

This would be awesome.I have never heard a nice sounding version of this on CD.

4. KeithH

KeithH Success With Honor...then and now

Thanks. I haven't listened to the 5.1 tracks.

5. tootull

tootull I tried to catch my eye but I looked the other way

Oh, I am concerned, just wait for the initial euphoria to wear off.
    The noises on My God original mix are deplorable since your system and your ears are endanger here. (no laughing matter) Too loud and the noises are certainly ripping on your speakers. No treat on the ears, this should have been treated when transferred to blu-ray. Cross-Eyed Mary 5.1 tick (as noted on Quadraphonic Quad) gets more annoying with repeated plays.

Too calm

6. zbinks

zbinks Forum Resident

The noise during the original 2.0 mix of My God is really bad. It ruins the track really. I'm really surprised it wasn't addressed in some manner.

7. ssmith3046

ssmith3046 Forum Resident

The most anticipated piece of this set was the 180g record and as long as I have that to play the euphoria will not wear off.

8. therockman

In the last couple of weeks, only MikeT and myself even addressed this real BAD problem. But I think that it is a defect which needs to be replaced.

9. tootull

Checklist

The original mix was last on my list, and I could care less about listening to it again, I feel the same way about any previous CD version. The stereo remix is great. The surround 5.1 is outstanding, (Cross-Eyed Mary "if he could take it from the money (tick) man" aside). The quad is a gem for the memory. The additional tracks are all winning. Check, check...winning far more than losing...maybe there will be a perfect reissue, then we can give more $$$ to the money (tick) man again.

Checklist looks good.
    [​IMG]

10. Steven Wilson

Steven Wilson Member

Guys, I'm on tour at the moment, and so unable to check this myself, but does it sound like some kind of digital glitch, or something that could be just a recording / musical phenomenon that was obscured in the stereo mix, but the 5.1 mix reveals (drop in on the vocal track, vocal lip smack, electric guitar fret noises...)? The latter certainly are things that I have to be a lot more conscious of in the surround mixes, but there comes a point where you have to just let some of them go as part of the fabric of the music. I approved a test disc of the 5.1 mix and I heard nothing that should not have been there, but it's always possible that some kind of digital glitch appeared in the subsequent manufacturing process.

About the noises on flat transfer of the original 71 mix of My God, I wasn't involved in that and I haven't listened to it, so sorry can't comment on it.

Best
    SW

11. Plan9

Plan9 Mastering Engineer

Steven, thanks for taking the time in your busy schedule to address this. :wave:

12. tootull

Yes, thanks for joining in at a busy time, Steven Wilson.

Cross-Eyed Mary has a digital glitch. It is not part of the music, as it stands apart from the recording. Standing next to the left front speaker it's a real stitch to the ears.

13. Steven Wilson

Steven Wilson Member

What a shame :(

14. MarkN

MarkN Forum Resident

The glitch at ~1:18 in Cross Eyed Mary is actually in both front channels of the 5.1 mix. Here's what it looks like in the front L and R channels:

Attached Files:

15. patsdelight

patsdelight Forum Resident

First things first, the newly remixed Aqualung CD sounds excellent. The only "difference" that I've noticed - well, that bothered me, anyway, is one tiny drum fill being lower in the mix compared to the original. Other than that, it's nearly perfect. (Bonus points if you know which fill on which song - congrats - you're as anal-retentive as I am.)

Has anyone else noticed some high-pitched "squeaking" noise on a couple of the acoustic tracks? (Wond'ring Aloud on the remixed Aqualung, and I think one of the bonus tracks on CD2, but I can't recall which one at the moment). The squeaking might have been on the original (at least as far as Wond'ring Aloud goes) but I never noticed before - probably if it was there, it was buried under the hiss.

All critiques aside, I feel this trumps every other version I've heard of this material by a very large margin.

Also, to my ears, I don't think Benefit (original or remastered CDs) ever sounded as bad as, well, either of the two (or three?) Aqualung CDs I've previously owned. So, Benefit might not, er, benefit (sorry) as much from the remix treatment, IMHO. That said, if Steve Wilson has the time and Ian still has the multis, go for it!

Oh, and you can add me to the list of "patiently waiting for importcds to ship my box set". ;-) As such, I haven't heard the surround mix yet, but I'm that much more excited after hearing the improvements to the stereo mix.

Excellent work, and kudos to Steven Wilson and everyone else involved - and from a classic rock/music geek point of view, I really wish I had your job :).

Thick As A Brick in 5.1? I may die a happy man.

Cheers...
    -W

16. peteham

peteham Senior Member

I think people were obsessing about the stereo remix and the 5.1 mixes. Tonight I finally got to the flat transfer, and yes, the defect on 'My God' is bad enough that EMI should recall the discs. What a drag. And now, all I hear is that stupid click during 'Cross Eyed Mary'.

17. jsayers

jsayers Just Drifting....

That's just great. I haven't even received my box yet < I'm another importcds.com deal-seeker>, and now it has to be recalled? :realmad:

18. Tank

Tank New Member

Of Benefit?

Just get the old US Chrysalis CD for 5 bucks. Didn't the Mofi folks even master some of the US Chrsysalis CDs? I seem to remember reading that they did some mastering for Chrysalis including some Tull stuff.

Sounds great wheoever did it. Well, Benefit never sounded "great," IMO, but you know what I mean ...

19. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

SH forum member speculation is NOT A RECALL...relax...go play some mono vinyl. :laugh:

20. Michael

supposedly...I do know my AQUALUNG original 1st pressing (SOUNDS FABULOUS) with the missing seconds on Wind Up sounds nothing like the later CD edition (CRAPOLA)...

BENEFIT:you must have a special CD then...cause my US Benefit sounds like doo doo...

21. Tristero

Tristero In possession of the future tense

:agree: I think it has something to do with the way it was recorded, more so than most of their albums, and I'm not convinced that any amount of Wilson's fairy dust would do much to change that.

22. Michael

I disagree...all the balls are there! ...just need to be brought out and allowed to rock...It would be just as amazing as Aqualung if not more...just a great album in need of some obtainable magic...:thumbsup:

23. Pibroch

Pibroch Active Member

I'm listening to the first disc of the 2-disc... WOW. This should have been done AGES ago.. just fantastic what Steven Wilson has done.

24. I'm listening to it right now myself. There is bass on this recording afterall. In a word "Brilliant!" :thumbsup:

25. gabacabriel

gabacabriel Forum Resident

Ouch, that glitch doesn't look good - has anyone actually been in touch with EMI about this?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.