Jethro Tull - Aqualung 40th Anniversary Special Edition (part2)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by MilesSmiles, Nov 5, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Tank

Tank New Member

Is there another 5.1 mix? Guess this one will be "definitive" by default. ;)

As far as the stereo remix, it would seem difficult to rebuild the original mix in a digital workstation and end up with something "definitive." Is that how this was done? I am still waiting on my copy to arrive, but are you saying this method beats, say.. Steve's mastering from the stereo master tape or the original British vinyl? I don't just mean because you hear something you didn't notice before that is higher in this new mix, but for overall quality, warmth and balance.

2. tootull

tootull I tried to catch my eye but I looked the other way

Make it stop!

Yeah, about the 27:45? mark. That one is the toughest to hear because it blends in well.

MY GOD

3. tootull

Thanks, again. Similar sounding glitches, all three.

4. Myke

Myke Trying Not To Spook The Horse

:laugh:

5. What would be the reason the Blu-Ray Quad's of Pink Floyd's DSOM and WYWH would sound "normal" not thin if all my settings stay the same?

My Oppo is set to downmix to stereo.

6. 51nocaster

51nocaster Senior Member

I'm assuming you have an open mind regarding the remix. Please report back once you have heard it as we welcome your thoughts.

7. tootull

Cool post by Tulltapes
    http://thejethrotullboard.proboards...splay&board=general&thread=2169&page=10#17772

8. Tank

Tank New Member

So does this mean you haven't heard the DCC version? The Classic reissue? Just trying to gage what you mean by "definitive," but I certainly have an open mind or I wouldn't have bothered ordering it.:winkgrin:

Btw, is there a mastering credit in this?

9. tootull

Please, can we see a picture of this one, too? :D

10. MarkN

MarkN Forum Resident

No problem:

Attached Files:

11. tootull

Three times the thanks.

12. MarkN

MarkN Forum Resident

I'm happy to provide the waveform captures showing the glitches. But I want to emphasize, again, that I actually find these ticks very minor when listening to the album. They don't significantly detract from what is a fantastic surround mix.

To me, this completely blows away any other versions of Aqualung.

Mark

13. tootull

Mastered by Peter Mew

[​IMG]

14. tootull

Amen

15. 51nocaster

51nocaster Senior Member

I've addressed some of this already in my review, but yes I've heard the DCC vinyl and prefer the remixed vinyl.

16. kevnhuys

kevnhuys Forum Resident

Far less than a second. 5 msec = 1/200th of a second.

17. MarkN

MarkN Forum Resident

The ticks in the 5.1 mix are much less noticeable to me than almost any ticks that occur when playing vinyl. I hope this doesn't stop anyone from buying and enjoying it.

18. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

it didn't and wouldn't stop me from buying it...nice comparison. I'd say a perfect comparison.:righton:

19. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

it's a conspiracy!:laugh:

20. DPM

DPM Senior Member

Well, after canceling the box I went out and picked up the 2-CD set today. I then sat down and gave both disks a listen. I have to state that Steven did an excellent job of giving this music a new lease on life while still retaining the overall sound of the original. He didn't give in to the temptation of making Aqualung sound like it was recorded yesterday. In fact, I think the remix sounds warmer and more organic than any of the other versions out there. (I own the DCC CD, original Reprise vinyl, and Mobile Fidelity vinyl, and I have owned the original CD, its replacement, and the 25th anniversary CD.)

Also, I was surprised just how far I had to turn the volume knob to get the appropriate decibel level. I don't think there was much compression used on this during mastering. In fact, I think the Beatles remasters may be louder--and those aren't exactly crushed either.

Anyway, while I was sitting there listening to the music I thought to myself, I bet Clive Bunker and Jeffrey Hammond are happy that the fans can finally (clearly) hear their contributions to this rock and roll masterpiece.

Finally, to me the songs that really stood out in remixed form were Mother Goose, Up To Me and My God. Excellent mixes of those. The only nit I could possibly pick is the volume of the bass guitar in Cross-eyed Mary. And even that I wouldn't change by much. All-in-all I'm quite pleased. This was money well spent.

21. MilesSmiles

MilesSmiles Oenologist Thread Starter

I just received the large box set last evening after the sound quality of the 2 CD set wet my appetite. Beautiful packaging, hope to give the Blu-Ray a test drive later today.

22. gabacabriel

gabacabriel Forum Resident

You may be right, but that doesn't alter the fact that these glitches could have - should have - been avoided.

I guess the best we can hope is that these glitches are fixed for when APO do the Aqualung SACD (hint! hint!)

23. MarkN

MarkN Forum Resident

No argument that they should not be there. I just don't want to see them blown out of proportion.

IF a replacement disc were offered, I would be first in line to get it.:)

24. *Zod*

*Zod* Forum Resident

the 2-CD set/2.0 does not have the glitch, correct?

25. aoxomoxoa

aoxomoxoa I'm an ear sitting in the sky

So this disc has glitches on the bluray? Isnt that the same thing we have been hearing about on the Wish You Were Here & Quadrophenia blurays? What the hell is going on here?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.