Jethro Tull - Aqualung 40th Anniversary Special Edition (part2)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by MilesSmiles, Nov 5, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jeffrey walsh

jeffrey walsh Senior Member

Where did you read this? Quality control went out the door with these deluxe boxes lately.

2. Myke

Myke Trying Not To Spook The Horse

Import CDs back down to $73.79 again... fluctuating every few days now...

3. MarkN

MarkN Forum Resident

The timescale on that graph is 5 msec for each vertical division, so the glitch is a bit over 5 msec long. I'm surprised it doesn't sound worse than it does given how nasty the waveform appears during the glitch. I personally don't find it terrible to listen to, but it would be nice if it wasn't there at all.

I have not contacted EMI since it doesn't seem that likely that a problem on this scale would cause them to recall/re-issue the discs.

That graph was captured from the Blu-ray disc from the lossless 5.1 mix. The glitch doesn't look quite as bad (to me, at least) on the DVD lossy-DTS version of the mix - possibly due to the lossy DTS compression. Given that the error appears on the various versions of the 5.1 mix on the DVD and Blu-ray, it must have been in the 5.1 master that was created.

4. tootull

tootull I tried to catch my eye but I looked the other way

Thanks for posting this, MarkN.

:( Oh brother. Made me listen again, just when I was avoiding that sorrow. Yes, front L and R channels. More impact on the left channel. The music in the right channel masks the glitch slightly.

A stitch in time saves nine.

5. tootull

On the DVD, Dolby Digital 48/24 5.1 the glitch sounds dull in comparison.

[​IMG]

6. stricee

stricee Forum Resident

back on sale for 73 bucks at importcds till 12/2...but...still out of stock..waiting for mine to ship...ordered on 10/26

7. stricee

stricee Forum Resident

sorry didnt see the earlier post

8. tootull

I do not like reporting this. 5.1, I believe there is another glitch at 41:27 on the Blu-ray during Wind Up. Front channels. (At about 41:24 on the DVD strangely enough).

F.......please confirm.

9. DPM

DPM Senior Member

After reading about the problems with the blu-ray disk (the only reason I placed an order for the box set from importcds.com) I've decided to cancel the box and go for the 2 disk edition. Maybe a high resolution version containing no errors will be released in the future. I'm hoping that maybe the powers that be will license it out to Acoustic Sounds (ala Pink Floyd) or one of the other audiophile companies.

10. kevnhuys

kevnhuys Forum Resident

If nothing else it'll be fun to import Cross Eyed Mary 5.1 into editing software and see if a glitch that nasty-looking can be surgically fixed. (Fun, for those of us who enjoy that sort of thing...)

11. tootull

Tiny glitches on the 5.1. The 5.1 mix is one for the ages. Too bad, so sad. Don't be put off, just in case this is not fixed.

he's got him fixed
    confuses me as to who and where and why

12. Have others experienced very thin sounding results listening to the Quad mix in stereo?

With the same settings on my Oppo 83SE the Pink Floyd Blu-ray Quad mixes sound "normal" not thin and lifeless.

13. tootull

Yes. The new stereo mix is beefy in comparison to fold downs from surround.

The new stereo mix sounds beauty in Logic7, for all who go there.

14. Yes, the new remix is a revelation in sound.

15. hvbias

hvbias Midrange magic

That's how the quad vinyl sounds in stereo, so I'm not surprised it's the same on the BD

16. therockman

therockman Senior Member In Memoriam

Why would you use Logic7 when there is a dedicated 5.1 mix? :help:

17. mmars982

mmars982 Forum Resident

I've noticed this too - certain vocals or instruments sound lost. This was my first experience with a quad mix on non-surround equipment, so I assumed it was normal. It actually was still a pretty cool listen in some parts.

18. Larry Geller

Larry Geller Surround sound lunatic

You're probably just getting the front left & right channels & losing the rears & center. Probably not downmixing them.

19. tootull

Because I can - For Fun

Because it's there. (I like to champion Logic7) I made the comment for those with the stereo remix only. Don't worry, I promise to listen to the 5.1 the most, by far. Actually, I'm just messing around with the 96/24 stereo remix.

Well you can excommunicate me on my way to Sunday school and have all the bishops harmonize these lines

*5.1, I believe there is another glitch at 41:27 on the Blu-ray during Wind Up. Left right front channels.

20. mmars982

mmars982 Forum Resident

That's what I was guessing. My system automatically downmixes 5.1 but I guess doesn't know what to do with quad.

21. 51nocaster

51nocaster Senior Member

A voice of reason. I can't imagine anyone forgoing this release because of a one or two second glitch--but to each, his own. I find the new stereo and 5.1 mixes to be definitive.

22. MarkN

MarkN Forum Resident

I heartily second this! These glitches are very minor, and the 5.1 mix is wonderful. The glitches do not impair my enjoyment of this at all.

Mark

23. Onrd

Onrd I am not a number

I've been listening to the 5.1 for a week and never noticed the glitches. I certainly wouldn't lose sleep over it.

24. MarkN

MarkN Forum Resident

I can confirm this. Here are the front channels from the 5.1 Blu-ray uncompressed mix of Wind Up. The glitch is at about 3:57 into the track, and looks quite similar to the Cross Eyed Mary glitch:

Attached Files:

25. MarkN

MarkN Forum Resident

I found a third glitch in the 5.1 mix very similar to the ones in Cross Eyed Mary and Wind Up. This one is in both front channels at about 6:38 into My God.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.