Jethro Tull - Aqualung 40th Anniversary Special Edition (part2)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by MilesSmiles, Nov 5, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DPM

DPM Senior Member

It was definitely a contributing factor during the recording of Aqualung. Ian Anderson himself has stated this many times. The studio was brand new, and Tull and Led Zeppelin were the first two clients to use it--Tull in the big studio and Zeppelin in the smaller studio. They were the guinea pigs.

2. jsayers

jsayers Just Drifting....

Probably the "nerdiest" question in this entire thread, but here goes:

Those of you that got the deluxe set - when you opened it, did you tear the shrinkwrap completely off, or take a razor <or something sharp> and cut the shrink off the right side end so you could slide the contents out and keep the shrink on to protect the box?

I haven't opened mine yet since I don't have surround sound right now, been listening to the 2 cd set. But I know that when I DO open it....;)

Told you it was a goofy question!

3. Tristero

Tristero In possession of the future tense

Wow, and after all the madness you've witnessed, you still decided to join? You're brave! :laugh:

Welcome aboard!

4. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

must have an open mind.:)

5. Michael

perfectly normal question here...I try to keep the plastic on the cover...:righton:

6. tonewheeltom

tonewheeltom Forum Resident

I'm a high school teacher and a rock musician. Patience and pragmatism have served me well. The Music Corner will be a walk in the park. :laugh:

7. tootull

tootull I tried to catch my eye but I looked the other way

It is too bad that some of the flaws that distract were not removed. Because as a complete piece I'm kind of enjoying the flat transfer for what it is worth. I don't believe this will ever be fixed. The flat transfer in this case is just that, untouched, warts and all real deal. As I said there are many flaws on the flat transfer. The competition begins to reveal each one. You have the lead in the competition with your first post. :) :cool: Impressive.

cheers!

8. bigfix

bigfix New Member

I thought madness was a prerequisite.
    Oh yeah after reading this thread if one was not mad at the start, one would certainly be totally troppo by now. :D

9. Todd W.

Todd W. It's a Puggle

Well, I like the boost in treble and it made the re-mix for me, so I guess our votes cancel out.....:D

10. kevnhuys

kevnhuys Forum Resident

You do understand what mastering is, right? :sigh:

11. Michael

Indeed! :goodie:

School of Rock, eh?;)

mad? nah...we know what we like! and nobody is going to change my opinion...nor I theirs.:D

12. I love the remixed Cross-eyed Mary. The mellotron really stands out in the mix now. :righton:

13. GreenDrazi

GreenDrazi Truth is beauty

Anything can happen between the multi's and the master. Please read again the part from Steven Wilson in the booklet about the software that he used to recreate actions taken previously with electronics. Also see his comments herein along the same lines and he added in the human element.

14. bigfix

bigfix New Member

Yep, just got back after taking my lunch break AND listening to Aqualung again.
    (my wife is out for a few hours, hehe :winkgrin:)
    And I was thinking the same thing.
    I love how the Melltron really pops on Cross-eyed Mary. It's really hot!

I reckon the new stereo remix now rocks like JT - Catfish Rising does.
    I plonked it on after Aqualung and for me the texture of Catfish is in a similar vein.
    I always liked Catfish and it seems to be a bit over looked by Tull fans.

15. TMan

TMan Forum Resident

yes. Did you read the comment from Steve Wilson that I quoted?

16. I took a razor to the open end, and left the shrink wrap on. I do the same with all my items whenever possible.

17. wavelength

wavelength Forum Resident

To each his own but you guys are missing out. The Aqualung box itself has a wonderful texture and feels very nice to hold.

18. I'm not missing out on anything. The shrink wrap is thin enough that one can feel the texture quite easily. The packaging on the 40th box set, is incredible, the best I've seen in a long time. I'll do whatever I can to preserve it. 'jsayers' was asking a simple, honest question, and he got a simple, honest answer. Time to move on.

19. Steel Horse

Steel Horse Forum Resident

What do you mean, open it?????? :cool:

20. tulltapes

tulltapes Forum Resident

Hello All, first post.from a Tull fan

I was born into a Jethro Tull world. My first words were "Thick as a Brick"

I can honestly say that I have likely heard the entire Aqualung album, in every format, mix, remaster a zillion times through my life. I could have cared if I had ever heard Aqualung again until I found out my favorite current artist and producer would be working with Tull to remix a 5.1 version. I thought I'd be impressed but I was actually floored by the sound of this thing. I was on the edge of my seat the entire listen..actualy caught chills. The 5.1 blu-ray is simply brilliant! You can't please everyone's ears I suppose but I have heard nothing but Incredible reviews everywhere but this forum. I thought the high end clarity was just perfect. You can hear strumming patterns from the acoustic guitar that you never could before ('My God' comes to mind)..Cross Eyed Mary bass comes in on the sub and hits you in the gut! The Orchestra on Slipstream sounds as though it's in the room. The separation of the drums and other instruments are simply superb!!

When I was a very little kid my parents would play this on the turntable and until recently I forgot that Cross Eyed Mary used to scare me. When I heard this 5.1 mix I had that scared feeling that I had forgotten about all these years. That's when I knew this was a fresh mix! Unbelievable work by Steven who is responsible for renewing a lot of my own musical appreciation since stumbling onto Porcupine Tree back in the day. 'In Absentia' being the first SW mix I heard that just changed my life. I could not believe someone could make something sound so good. I was really shocked. 'Lips of Ashes' into 'Sound of Muzak' and I was convinced that this is how people should hear music all the time. I realized that sonic technology had indeed moved forward but many didn't pay attention.

I ran a record store for years, own a studio, and I am musician. Sound quality and tone have always been important to me. I have heard the genesis 5.1's and the Rush 5.1's and others but they don't compare to the Aqualung or any Porcupine Tree mixes. Feels like there is something missing from the others, you just can't nail the sound you want to hear. The upcoming Thick As a Brick mixes will be another incredible revelation. Thanks for your efforts Steven. I have no problem forking out money to anything you put out there because I know it's quality.

21. MilesSmiles

MilesSmiles Oenologist Thread Starter

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.