Current Photos Of Famous Album Cover Locations

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by audiodrome, Mar 12, 2011.

1. SixtiesGuy

SixtiesGuy Ministry of Love

2. SixtiesGuy

SixtiesGuy Ministry of Love

The Unisphere was one of the very few structures built for the 1964-65 fair that was intended to be permanent. It was built out of stainless steel and is in fact on the exact same spot as the Perisphere. As large as the Unisphere is, it's only a fraction of the size of the Perisphere. It's a shame more of the buildings from both fairs weren't kept. Even sadder, a couple of the buildings from both fairs that were intended to be permanent were torn down, one due to neglect, the other destroyed by vandals. The park that was home to both fairs has an interesting background itself; prior to 1939 it was huge, festering ash dump that is The Valley of Ashes referred to by F. Scott Fitzgerald in The Great Gatsby.

3. barking spider

barking spider Forum Resident

I don't know if this one is mentioned yet:

Naval Air Station Lakehurst 1937:
    led zeppelin 02.jpg

the famous cover:
    led-zeppelin-led-zeppelin.jpg

Naval Air Station Lakehurst nowadays:
    800px-Hindenburg_Disaster_Marker.jpg

squittolo likes this.
  4. corner of ventura blvd and beverly glen

5. Jose Jones

Jose Jones Outstanding Forum Member

How about where the Night In The Ruts cover was photographed? That looks like a cool location.

6. action pact

action pact Music Omnivore

I've been in that Honda dealership many times and never knew it was the Fillmore West. That is the corner of South Van Ness and Market, not Mission.

BTW, the Mel's Drive-In in "American Graffiti" was located a block south, on the corner of South Van Ness and Mission.

7. audiodrome

audiodrome Senior Member Thread Starter

I can never get that site to open!

I don't think the picture below was ever used for an album cover but if not, it should be! It's from the 1893 Chicago World's Fair/Columbian Exposition and it's probably my favorite World's Fair picture. :)

[​IMG]

8. Drawer L

Drawer L Forum Resident In Memoriam

Anybody have any idea where the cover of the first US BEST OF HERMAN'S HERMITS was shot??--The one of them standing on the stairs,leading to what looks like a large building....

9. Jay F

Jay F New Member

I don't know the location, but here's the cover.

10. FredV

FredV Senior Member

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

OK, now here's the challenge; Find the location for this album cover:

[​IMG]

11. audiodrome

audiodrome Senior Member Thread Starter

This cover was shot somewhere at Surrey Docks on the south side of the Thames, but as to exactly where, your guess is as good as mine. Here are a few shots:

[​IMG]

The Surrey Docks closed in 1970 and were sold to the London Borough of Southwark in 1977. Although most of the Surrey Docks were infilled and converted to residential, commercial or light industrial land, South Dock escaped this fate. The former warehouses were demolished and replaced with residential blocks, while the dock itself was refurbished.

12. Dodgytc

Dodgytc Forum Resident

Elvis Costello & The Attractions Live At Hollywood High EP from 1978:
    img181-1.jpg
    img181-1 - Copy-1.jpg
    Hollywood High, corner of Sunset Blvd & La Brea last weekend. Not much change in 33 years other than the wooden sign is long gone.

Attached Files:

13. Mal

Mal Phorum Physicist

I've always wondered if the Easybeats "Vigil" LP cover was shot at the South Bank Centre complex in London.

It has the same architectural style. The structures are standard steel reinforced concrete set within "moulds" made from planks of wood but the raw finish is left as it looks once the boards are removed rather than being covered with plaster or stone fascade etc. giving it a certain stylised look (does that style have a name?! "Industrial", maybe??)

Of course, it could have been shot anywhere but the Easybeats were hanging in London at the time so the South Bank is a good candidate...

Attached Files:

emi72 likes this.
  14. kollektionist

kollektionist Forum Resident

Yes Tor, second highest point in Dartmoor, Devon, UK

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

15. rdnzl88

rdnzl88 Forum Resident

I have been thoroughly enjoying this thread, not expecting to have anything to contribute...but I do!

The top photo, looking across Mono Lake, with the mountains in the back ground...

My brother, for a couple of months back in the early 90s, ran a helicopter-skiing operation on those two mountains. They had their staging area just outside the picture to the left. Very wealthy, and rather ballsy, skiers would pay big bucks to ski the deep powder & challenging terrain you see here.

Sadly, I never had the chance to try it for myself.

16. rdnzl88

rdnzl88 Forum Resident

Nah...the one in Montana is bigger*!

*footnote:
    For our non-American friends who might not know...Montana's nickname is "Big Sky Country". Now, isn't my post MUCH funnier now?!:D

17. music4life

music4life Senior Member

*Groan* :laugh:

Hey, we cant let this thread die, I've really been enjoying it!:righton:

18. kollektionist

kollektionist Forum Resident

I agree. So a little bump maybe ;)

andypandy65 likes this.
  19. Tom Perry

Tom Perry Senior Member

20. Cassiel

Cassiel Sonic Reducer

I don't know where that Herb Alpert cover photo was taken, but I'm willing to bet it was actually north of the border.

21. Tom Perry

Tom Perry Senior Member

:)

Disneyland (Frontierland)? :D

22. Cassiel

Cassiel Sonic Reducer

"Excuse me, seƱorita, will you please hold my trumpet for me while I bring some more fajitas and sangria to table five?" :winkgrin:

23. misterdecibel

misterdecibel Bulbous Also Tapered

24. Tom Perry

Tom Perry Senior Member

Absolutely. A&M SP 108.