Current Photos Of Famous Album Cover Locations

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by audiodrome, Mar 12, 2011.

1. Raunchnroll

Raunchnroll Senior Member

I've found a few that are not even accurate.

2. dbz

dbz Bolinhead.

That there's a website, with locations of famous Lp covers, for folks who are interested in such things. It's fairly common practice to link to the subject being discussed, in threads. It's usually helpful and broadens the discussion. :)

ANDY USSERY likes this.
  3. Synthfreek

Synthfreek I’m a ray of sunshine & bastion of positivity

4. Synthfreek

Synthfreek I’m a ray of sunshine & bastion of positivity

Sir Mix-A-Lot - Posse On Broadway:

[​IMG]

5. fadingcaptain

fadingcaptain Active Member

A couple of years ago, I was passing through Delaware Water Gap, PA on a week-long bicycle tour when I came across something I recognized. Got off the bike, took this photo....

Attached Files:

• 1.JPG
      1.JPG
      File size:
      121.3 KB
      Views:
    • 2.jpg
      2.jpg
      File size:
      22 KB
      Views:
    • 3.jpg
      3.jpg
      File size:
      39.1 KB
      Views:
  6. RadioClash

RadioClash Senior Member

The rain finally stopped long enough to get out and take a snapshot. Sadly, this is what has become of the original storefront. :sigh:

[​IMG]

[​IMG] [​IMG]

7. music4life

music4life Senior Member

Kind of ironic it was raining while you were trying to take that pic, isnt it?:D
    What city is that located in?

8. RadioClash

RadioClash Senior Member

Who'll stop the rain.... :D

Should have included it in the post, but this is West Oakland, corner of Peralta and Hollis. I think it was five or six years ago that the storefront was renovated. Not much going on there these days.

9. Raunchnroll

I noticed the old Duck Kee Market was gone several years ago... transformed into that horrible generic building. Incidentally, the 'story' is.... CCR and some of the Fantasy studio employees walked there to get food one day and decided to take a few photos. The cover photo is the result. Which leads me to the back cover photo. I suspect (and read somewhere years ago) its only a few blocks from the market. I thought spending some time using google street to locate the back cover scene would be a cool little endeavor. If YOU happen to know where it is and can get a shot.....:righton: Otherwise I'll have to sit down with a cup of coffee and a spare hour or two and begin... the search.

10. RadioClash

RadioClash Senior Member

I think the empty lot they are cutting through on the back cover is across the street from the store. It would be to the left of where I am standing to take the picture. It is Poplar Playground today, a small park with some basketball hoops and a baseball/softball diamond. Not certain about this, but it looks to be the same. The street behind them is 32nd street, which becomes Hollis on the other side of Peralta. The Duck Kee Market would to the left of the picture and across Peralta.

[​IMG]

11. Larry L

Larry L Senior Member

Wow, what a thread! Thanks to all for their contributions. :righton::righton:

12. RadioClash

RadioClash Senior Member

Meant to include this as well. This is another angle of the old storefront.

[​IMG]

Love those laundromat prices. Wish I could read that advertisement billboard in the far background...

13. Raunchnroll

Just around the corner from the Duck Kee....

[​IMG]

The building has obviously received some upgrading since 1969 including new storm windows. But its exterior trim is obvious. Also, from a different perspective that unique roof visible on the apartments in the 1969 shoot is still there, just not visible from the 'today' street shot. The wooden house next to the apartments is now gone, with a wooden fence along the sidewalk, also not visible in the capture I posted.

Directly across the street from the apartments is a small triangular lot they are walking across. Now fenced off.

Attached Files:

14. katstep

katstep Professional Cat Herder

That one was posted 25 pages ago....:wave:

15. RadioClash

RadioClash Senior Member

You found it! :cool:

To the left of the fenced off triangle lot is Peralta and then Poplar Playground. So the Duck Kee Market would be to the right of the back cover picture and left around the corner. You can see the left edge of the triangle lot that has the billboard in the alternate angle shot I posted a few posts ago. Nice work!

16. Fullbug

Fullbug Forum Resident

That's cool the lot the band walked across is still undeveloped.

I was only five or six in 1969, but these photos filled me a sense of nostalgia. I would love to turn back the clock to that year. Thanks for posting these great pics.

17. fattyramone

fattyramone New Member

"High" single sleeve : Lighthouse Family

Middlesbrough Transporter bridge

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

squittolo likes this.
  18. fattyramone

fattyramone New Member

Ringo Starr - Goodnight Vienna

Again not nessisarily a location , but a straight forward tribute

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

BONUS : And as a child ...lil richie
    [​IMG]

19. fattyramone

fattyramone New Member

Joy Division , Unknown pleasures

[​IMG]

A 100 successive pulses from the first pulsar discovered.

This is the textbook that this image was originally published.

[​IMG]

andypandy65 and ruben lopez like this.
  20. Mughulla

Mughulla Active Member

Where'd the fire escape go? :confused:

21. fattyramone

fattyramone New Member

"Dead Kennedys' California Über Alles

[​IMG]

nuremberg rallies ,

I've deliberatly avoided posting a like-for-like photo here due to the sensitive nature of the true imagry that the "smiley faces" on the DK sleeve replaced.

[​IMG]

22. Fullbug

Fullbug Forum Resident

Great, now the place is a death trap.

23. fattyramone

fattyramone New Member

Long Walk, which is part of Windsor Great Park in Berkshire.

Elton John Single man

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

squittolo likes this.
  24. Geoman076

Geoman076 Sealed vinyl is Fun!!

The cool Replacements find got me thinking about the cover of "All Shook Down". A little research turned up that it's a photo taken by photographer Michael Wilson in Newport Kentucky. Anyone close by want to investigate?

25. RadioClash

RadioClash Senior Member

This is more of a then-and-then post rather than a then-and-now, but thought it was relevant to the thread.

[​IMG]

Not the same as the album picture of course, but all taken during the "White Night" riots of May 1977 at San Francisco City Hall. I think the row of burning police cars on the cover are in the top photo, on the left side of the street. The second photo is a different angle, but seems to be the same row of police cars.

But who knows, a lot of police cars burned that night.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The riots were sparked when former San Francisco Supervisor Dan White was convicted of manslaughter, not murder, for shooting and killing Supervisor Harvey Milk and Mayor George Moscone.