Current Photos Of Famous Album Cover Locations

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by audiodrome, Mar 12, 2011.

1. george nadara

george nadara Forum Resident

Thanks, indeed. :righton: Thinking this was the old church at the corner of Euston Road and Duke’s Road, which the Collins 2008 Britain Road Atlas lists as “St. Pancras,” but not remembering much about the actual building, I checked several online sources and eventually found the location of the St. Pancras Old Church... missing your King's Cross designation... off St. Pancras Road north of Euston Road, and inconveniently off the page of my detailed street map of London.

From Wikipedia for those inquisitive readers, some history of the St. Pancras Old Church…

Notable people buried here include vampire writer and physician John Polidori, the composer Johann Christian Bach and the sculptor John Flaxman. It is also the burial place of William Franklin, the last colonial Governor of New Jersey and illegitimate son of Benjamin Franklin. There is a memorial tomb for philosophers and writers Mary Wollstonecraft and William Godwin, though the remains of the couple are now in Bournemouth. (In 2009, commemorations of the 250th anniversary of her birth were held by various groups, both inside the church and at the gravestone.) In the 17th and 18th centuries, many foreign dignitaries and aristocrats—presumably not members of the Church of England—were buried here, outside the boundaries of the City of London and Westminster; they are commemorated on an elaborate memorial commissioned by Baroness Angela Burdett-Coutts, the heiress and philanthropist.

Other people associated with the churchyard include the poet Percy Bysshe Shelley and the future Mary Shelley (author of Frankenstein), who planned their elopement over meetings at the grave of her mother, Mary Wollstonecraft. In the mid-19th century the writer Thomas Hardy, then a trainee architect, was involved in the controversial clearance of part of the churchyard to make way for the railway. Charles Dickens mentions it by name in A Tale of Two Cities, making it the location of body-snatching to provide corpses for dissection at medical schools, a common practice at the time.

On 28 July 1968, The Beatles were photographed in the churchyard grounds, in a famous series of pictures designed to promote the single "Hey Jude" and the album The Beatles, better known as The White Album.

2. Sparky

Sparky Forum Resident

Not lame at all,that Unisphere thing is great ,haven't seen it before

3. chef0069

chef0069 Forum Resident

Isn't Phil Collins in that pic somewhere?

4. TonyR

TonyR Forum Resident

:confused: Never heard this. I know he's in the concert as an audience member at the end of "A Hard Day's Night".

5. TonyR

TonyR Forum Resident

Wow! I live nearby, and I pass this place quite often. It just goes to show, you can know something almost all your life and not know something relevant about it. I've known that album cover for over 35 years, and I've lived near Jonesboro Georgia for almost 20 years, and I never put those two things together.

I've never owned that album. Maybe if I had a physical copy, I would have read on the cover or liner notes where that cover photo was taken. But that information blew my mind for the day. :cool:

6. Rochdale3

Rochdale3 Forum Resident

7. Lord Hawthorne

Lord Hawthorne Currently Untitled

No, but Yoko was to the right in the part that got cropped.

8. waldo

waldo Forum Resident

great match up shots * Raunchnroll * even though the Doobies were never there themselves!

great stuff :thumbsup:

9. waldo

waldo Forum Resident

it was featured in an episode of CSI: NY a couple of seasons back.

10. Raunchnroll

Raunchnroll Senior Member

The Doobies were there, on the off ramp. Inside the gate fold is another shot taken nearby, sitting in the middle of the Golden State highway (I-5) which I didn't match up.

11. rdnzl88

rdnzl88 Forum Resident

Well,
    They do that from time to time.

12. audiodrome

audiodrome Senior Member Thread Starter

Yes, Unisphere is very cool! It was built for the 1964 Worlds Fair and typically, most of the fair structures were not built to last, but this one is still standing. I've only seen it from a distance but it still was very impressive. The Trylon and Perisphere of the 1939 World's Fair were located in the exact same spot but unfortunately they were taken down and used for scrap metal at the start of World War II.

[​IMG]

13. reverendjim

reverendjim Forum Resident

The photo on the left is distressingly Death Star-like. Yikes! I'm out there quite a bit for Mets games (ouch), but have never actually visited the site of the Worlds Fair(s) on foot... Sad, nevertheless, to hear the constant talk about ripping down the surviving '64 structures.

14. davers

davers Forum Resident

That Wikipedia info in your post was a neat history.

I've always loved that Beatles photo in the churchyard. They blend with the crowd in a way puts everyone in the photo on equal footing. The kids seem to care less that they are posing with someone famous, which is probably exactly as the band wanted it.

15. Buckyball

Buckyball Forum Resident

Everyone is on equal footing except that one kid who is inside the fence. So mysterious.

16. Peter_R

Peter_R Maple Syrple Gort Staff

THE CALLS ARE COMING FROM INSIDE THE YARD! GET OUT, QUICK! :D

17. hamishd91

hamishd91 Forum Resident

Deltron 3030!

[​IMG]

18. musicfan37

musicfan37 Senior Member

Can you imagine the '64 Beatles posing the same way? :)

19. davers

davers Forum Resident

Yeah, the kid almost becomes more of a focus than The Beatles...which makes it a unique concept for a band photo!

Musicfan37 is right; it's hard to imagine the '64 Beatles posing that way. It kinda says something about them wanting to blend in to the background...just like The White Album cover.

20. Sparky

Sparky Forum Resident

Interesting stuff,thanks.

This is very much my favourite thread on here.

21. stereoptic

stereoptic Anaglyphic GORT Staff

The 1939 World's Fair is very much a topic in itself. Browse the Internet for the Salvador Dali exhibit.

Nice catch there with the Deltron 3030 cover!

22. sound chaser

sound chaser Senior Member

Thanks. Excellent thread, long may it continue, :cheers:

Re: Who's Next. Having spoken to local people yesterday morning I think I have located the slag heap on which the concrete pillar was situated, and a nice chap kindly went back to his house while I was there to bring me an aerial photograph and sure enough, we were in the correct spot.

Of course the pillars are no longer there, nor have I ascertained what they were for! While walking in the area we noticed many fragments of concrete which suggests they were smashed up and left. Another theory is they were used to house discarded explosives in which case they would more likely be filled in with earth and we were standing on top of them.

Yesterday was uncharacteristically sunny which doesn't help the comparison!:

View attachment 178104 View attachment 178101

One curious thought occurred to me throughout which was, how on earth did The Who end up here, travelling south from a gig!?

If you don't mind, I'd to also insert my entry from my former thread, thanks:

View attachment 178102 View attachment 178103

23. fattyramone

fattyramone New Member

Its difficult to find the exact spot , but this gives a feel to it.

A view of a Mersey ferry from Liverpool dock

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

24. fattyramone

fattyramone New Member

Cavern club compilation CD

[​IMG]

As it is now.

[​IMG]

The (quite frankly dreadful) John Lennon statue that is propped up against the wall out side the confusingly named "Cavern pub" that is dead opposite the "old" Cavern club

[​IMG]

25. SgtPepper1983

SgtPepper1983 Forum Resident

^^^^

Whenever I see a picture of the Cavern Club - recent or old one - I still cannot believe Liverpool tore it down....
    When did they rebuild it?