Sinatra / Capitol Sound & Photo Quality: "Sinatra's Swingin' Session!!!" - 1961

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by MLutthans, Sep 20, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. MLutthans

MLutthans That's my spaghetti, Chewbacca! Staff Thread Starter

Time for a less blathery post! I really like the stereo sound on this album: Crisp, clean, like an icy cold, refreshing beverage. Great sound, IMO.

McLover likes this.
  2. SCOTT1234

SCOTT1234 Senior Member

Me too - there's a lightness of touch that works well with the uptempo bounce and swing of the album. The mono is fine but I get the stereo out mostly.

3. ArneW

ArneW Senior Member

But how did they record albums then which virtually required extensive mixing "by nature", e.g. Judy Garland's 1959 "The Letter", switching back and forth between street noises, a fairly large orchestra, the Ralph Brewster Singers, Judy, a narrator, and even another small jazz combo? Either the mono version (which I have never heard) has to be quite different or both the mono and stereo master tapes stem from the same multi-tracks.

Arne

4. MLutthans

I think it's the latter. Not to beat a dead horse, but based on the aural evidence, at least in some cases, I think that the two systems were co-mingling starting late in 1958.

I've got the stereo LP of THE LETTER, and there are spots where, for instance, the choir really does not blend well in stereo at all, but I would need to listen to it more carefully to reach any sort of verdict. When I get home from lovely Nebraska in a few days, I'll give it a listen maybe.

Matt

5. apileocole

apileocole Lush Life Gort

I like that description for the whole experience of this album. :)

A mixdown had to made after recording for every release from 3-tracks. The Letter, by its nature, had to have been assembled and mixed wherever they did that work to stereo from a variety of sources. That being the case, they would presumably make a mono mix at the same time. That does suggest they could have done so with any recording, but does not mean it was S.O.P.

Where did they do the stereo mixdowns by the way? Not the snack bar. Had to be a room with stereo gear and monitors. Perhaps they did the mixdowns in the studio booths, but I doubt it. For one thing, I doubt they spent studio booking time on mixing down for every stereo release in that era. '60s, sure, but '50s? Moreover that would mean at least one booth was always fitted for stereo mixing and monitoring, since the mixdowns go back to stereo open reel titles issued lot long after the recordings, which go back to the Tower's first year.

6. MLutthans

Contributors can now access my thoughts regarding "the winner" (in sonic terms) for this album. I'll also reprint my thoughts below:

This one is really a matter of personal preference -- no “head and shoulders” winner, at least to my ears. Some thoughts:

•I think those who are in the “mono camp” are fully justified in their views. The mono album is very nice tonally, and the simple fact that all the sound comes from one channel causes the sound to gel nicely and have a high degree of musical cohesion. Yes, I can fully understand why its devotees are passionate about their beloved mono LP. (It’s also one of the best mono mixes of Sinatra’s Capitol stereo era. The reverb levels sound nice, and there’s no funky, misguided EQ.)

•The stereo mix is (I’m just going to say it) a “new phase” Capitol stereo recording. (Apologies to United Artists and Apple.) The miking is closer, and there are more mics being employed, all of which added a clarity and “crispness” to the recording, while maintaining that classic Capitol tone quality. The stereo is w-i-d-e, but it is also quite symmetrical and well-balanced in terms of left/right stereo. In my experience, it sounds fabulous over loudspeakers and a little disjointed over headphones, but still quite nice.

•There are two releases to avoid: 1.) The MFSL, which -- oddly for this set -- is insanely bright; 2.) The Norberg CDs. Aside from those, you are almost guaranteed to get a version that is at least “quite good.”

•My favorite version is the CD in the 1998 British boxed set, which uses the original stereo mix and presents it quite nicely. Nothing seems exaggerated, yet everything seems to be there: Crisp highs, appropriate bass, wide spread -- all the qualities found in the original LPs, but in a purer form (to my ears). Even the best of the stereo LPs have a high-hat sound that is a little dull or they have a brightness to the overall sound that is not pleasant, or they sound “dark” overall, a quality that does not suit this particular recording whatsoever. The 1998 British CD seems to get it all “right,” in my opinion, but there are many LP choices that are wonderfully listenable, as well. I particularly like the stereo D2 pressing in my own collection, but I think I prefer the CD over that LP.

•The original Walsh remix CD is also quite nice in its own way. It is clearly a revision and update of the original mix, but that’s not a bad thing. There is more reverb, and its application diminishes the perceived stereo spread somewhat, but it’s all quite pleasant. Oddly, I think that if I were to give a gift to an audiophile who was unfamiliar with Sinatra’s Capitol recordings, this Walsh CD would be pretty high on my list. It sounds warm and inviting, and something about it just sounds more modern than many of the other stereo CD releases. I like it a lot, despite its revisionist qualities, and it’s a beautiful listen, but not a reflection of the original mix qualities. Take it for what it is: Different, and very good!

So, owners of Sinatra’s Swingin’ Session, take heart! There are many very good versions out there! Enjoy whatever you happen to own -- it’s likely a very good sounding disk!

7. MLutthans

8. MLutthans

No conflicting thoughts on post 206 above? When did the forum fall into lockstep? :eek:

Matt

9. rangerjohn

rangerjohn Forum Resident

Well, Matt, your analyses are often so thorough and thoughtful that they can leave readers speechless.

The haircut that Frank is sporting on your new avatar has the same effect--but not in a good way..... ;)

10. paulmock

paulmock Forum Resident

Yes, and I have ADD and am somewhat dyslexic at times, so I must approach these massive posts with care and absorb a little at a time!:help:

11. Steve Hoffman

Steve Hoffman Your host Your Host

When I got the old mono LP (DCC's Jerry Tolmich got me one from Leon L.) he wanted me to play "I Can't Believe That You're In Love With Me" immed. He loved the break in the middle and when I heard it, so did I.

I remember running out and buying the CD to hear it in stereo (this must have been in the early 1990s, I guess) and when I played the same song, yikes, too much echo but the great brass break in the middle was compressed and distored. I HATED IT.

Over to you.

12. MLutthans

Yep! The Walsh CD is its own thing, that's for sure. I think that for somebody who is unfamiliar with the original, it's okay (pretty good, actually), and quite "modern" sounding, but it's a completely different experience altogether from the original stereo or mono version.

Worlds apart from the 1998 UK CD in the box set, which uses the original stereo mix and is, to my ears, a very un-futzed-with copy.

Matt

PS - since I'll probably be ditching this homely-as-heck avatar in the near future, here's what rangerjohn was referring to a few posts back, and it's from a legit EMI album cover, believe it or not:

Attached Files:

13. Steve Hoffman

Matt, can you put the instrumental break up here from that CD version?

14. MLutthans

Temporarily, yes....as provided by member salleno.

[Link removed]

Matt

15. Steve Hoffman

Should have had you put the mono up as well. Sorry.

That was really interesting. A totally different presentation. I can hear the Fairchild compressor kick in there. Not a bad sound, a cozy 1950's sort of sound. You sure that's an original vintage stereo mix?

Interesting, thanks.

16. apileocole

apileocole Lush Life Gort

Superb 'scorecard'. As yet I've no disagreement.

17. MLutthans

Done, thanks to a sample from member stevelucille.

Same page: [Temporary link removed]

And my thoughts on the mono were:

I'm also virtually certain that the UK 1998 stereo CD uses the original mix. If not, it's an amazingly good recreation!

Matt

18. Steve Hoffman

Thanks.

I've heard monos of this song that are more dynamic. Most of that compression was added during cutting.

I dig the stereo though, it's neat.

How can I find a CD of that stereo album?

19. jtiner

jtiner Forum Resident

Same question... is it only available as part of the 21 CD UK set?

20. MLutthans

Sadly, yes.

21. Bob F

Bob F Senior Member

And sadly, out of print. And very expensive, if you find one: The last time someone reported a [thread=221220]great deal on the 21-CD box set[/thread], it turned out to be vaporware.

22. MLutthans

23. Bob F

Bob F Senior Member

MPTV Photos Note!

Anyone revisiting this thread (and many other threads) may wonder what happened to many of the photo images posted by myself and others.

It seems that MPTV has finally, after many years, closed the loophole which permitted linking to images on their site (both with and without watermarks). This breaks a lot of posts here at SHF (and at the SFF, where I have often taken advantage of MPTV's "generosity").

It was nice while it lasted, but, sorry to say...

The only way now to "leech" show an MPTV image is to view it directly on their website, save it to your computer, then attach it to a forum post. The large center watermarks can no longer be eliminated.

24. DJ WILBUR

DJ WILBUR The Cappuccino Kid

oh thats a drag...

25. Bob F

Bob F Senior Member

Well, apparently it's not as much of a drag everywhere. See my series of posts today at the Sinatra Family Forum: NOTE: MPTV photos!

(While my images have magically reappeared tonight at the SFF, they are still blocked here at SHF. :confused:)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.