Sinatra / Capitol Sound & Photo Quality: "Sinatra's Swingin' Session!!!" - 1961

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by MLutthans, Sep 20, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Tommyboy

Tommyboy Senior Member

I really love this album!

Over the past few months, I’ve picked up a few earlier US stereo Capitol pressings of Swingin’ Session and was impressed with the SQ.

Based on your post and Sinatra website, I bought a sealed Capitol reissue, hoping it would be this pressing. Well, it arrived today and I hit paydirt!

Spinning it now. This pressing kicks!

Thanks Matt

jgrillo likes this.
  2. MLutthans

MLutthans That's my spaghetti, Chewbacca! Staff Thread Starter

Very cool! Glad to hear you found a goodie!

Tommyboy likes this.
  3. Artur Torres

Artur Torres New Improved Full Dimensional Stereo

I love this album. It's Sinatra's hottest album in my opinion. The brass have to skip in my ears so big that it's their pressure. "Semptember In The Rain" is a sublime moment of this album.

4. Timeless Classics

Timeless Classics Senior Member

Guess I need to hunt this one down! I have the MFSL and an original mono, but would like to compare some other stereo versions to my own ears. The clips sounds great.

5. Luca

Luca Wolf under sheep clothing

Today I have been extensively comparing the 1984 UK Dell LP with the MFSL SACD.

Both have a great sound, great tone and sense of space, but the MFSL SACD is more "polite" and laid back. The Dell LP is mindblowingly dynamic, absolutely explosive, a foot-tapping experience like few others: for me a clear winner. With the LP, the more I crank the volume up, the more it blossoms. It may tend to be very flamboyant and wild, but the excitement level definitely benefits.

Equipment: Technics SL-1200Mk2 with Audiotechnica AT440MLa cartridge, Graham Slee Reflex M phono for the LP / Oppo BDP105D for the SACD.
    Both with Graham Slee Solo Ultra Linear DE headphone amp and Denon AH-D7000 headphones.

Last edited: Apr 13, 2019
    paulmock and MLutthans like this.
  6. MLutthans

@Luca - -

The only release that I personally prefer over the Dell LP is my oddball c. 1986 USA Capitol LP, mastered at Capitol, pressed by Specialty,
    [​IMG]
    but both strike me as absolutely excellent. That Dell LP has gobs of punchiness to it.

Artur Torres and paulmock like this.
  7. Luca

Hi Matt, your page with comparisons for all the Sinatra Capitol recordings is wonderful!

I have inherited from my father a LOT of Sinatra albums and compilations (including the complete Dell boxset), and I am running through them all. I also have another copy of Swingin' Session in my mountain home, and next week I'll be there to see what version it is, but I suspect it's a '70s pressing.

It's a fun experience to listen to these albums again in a row... it was the music I grew up with since I was a kid.

8. Luca

Got my father's old Capitol D2 pressing.... and it's MONO! I have washed it thorughly on my Okki Nokki, and I am listening to it right now. No way! This album is sooooo much better in stereo!

MLutthans, Artur Torres and dalem5467 like this.
  9. jtiner

jtiner Forum Resident

I've noticed that when listening to my Capitol Years and 2014 MFSL discs, the vocals on I Can't Believe that You're in Love with Me have a bit of an edge to them compared to all the other album tracks, even those recorded at the same session. Is it just me? If not, what's the most likely reason? A mic. change/ EQ move on the mixer for just that one song? Insertion of a preamp or some signal chain change when recording? It's probably my favorite track on the album, and I always notice the change in the vocals...

10. FJFP

FJFP Host for the 'Mixology' Mix Differences Podcast

I've fallen in love with this album recently via my UK mono pressing, but it's a noisy one. Judging by this thread, the Dell is the way to go - glad that's saved me the expense of the MFSL!

paulmock, Simon A and Record Rotator like this.
  11. paulmock

paulmock Forum Resident

Actually, the MoFi release separate from the "Silver Box" set has quite good sound IMHO. I has a tad more bass to it.

12. FJFP

13. paulmock

paulmock Forum Resident

FJFP likes this.
  14. FJFP

Not a problem! Thank you for the clarity. I might still stick with the Dell due to the difference in price, but we'll see. Regardless, this fabulous album is worth it.

15. paulmock

paulmock Forum Resident

No issues with the Dell one either!

16. teag

teag Forum Resident

Agree - the Dell and the 2012 MFSL are very good sounding.

This LP is one of the weaker sounding LPs in the SIlver Box. The Silver Box has many others that sound great though!

Last edited: Mar 5, 2021
    MLutthans and paulmock like this.
  17. MLutthans

Doubtful that it was a mic change, as it was the second of four tunes recorded that night.

jtiner and Artur Torres like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.