Sinatra / Capitol Sound & Photo Quality: "Sinatra's Swingin' Session!!!" - 1961

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by MLutthans, Sep 20, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. MLutthans

MLutthans That's my spaghetti, Chewbacca! Staff Thread Starter

Calling all Sinatra nuts: I'm ready to start compiling comparison clips for our next sound quality analysis. Here's what I already have:

•USA D2/D1 stereo 12:00 rainbow pressing
    •MFSL box set
    •Walsh CD remix

If you are able to provide a sample, please let me know.
    If you are able to bend over and cough, well...that's different.

Let's use "I Can't Believe that You're in Love with Me."

Thanks as always,
    Matt

2. MLutthans

Wow -- members here have already shared samples from 14 different editions of this album -- thank you! Still looking for:

•Non-USA LPs
    •Circa 1981 SN-series USA LP, if there was one for this title
    •EP sets
    •7 1/2 ips open reel
    •Japanese CP32 CD

In general: The more, the merrier!

Also, as mentioned previously in a deleted post:

<<By the way, one of the "great reads" on this entire forum, in my opinion, is the thread that our own MMM started about the EOTC releases from Capitol, still archived here:

http://www.stevehoffman.tv/forums/sh...ad.php?t=14835

[MOD: Link is dead. Try Bob's link a few posts further down.]

The really juicy stuff starts at post 29.>>

Matt

3. TLMusic

TLMusic Musician & record collector

Sorry that I'm not set up to post clips, but must say Swingin' Session is a fantastic album!

I have original colorband Capitol pressings in mono and stereo, plus the Mofi box. Any of those pressings blows away anyone that comes over to the house for a listen. The sound quality and performance are stunning.

By the way, which version do most people prefer--the Stereo or Mono mix?

4. SCOTT1234

SCOTT1234 Senior Member

I prefer the stereo mix, but the mono is also very good.

MarkusGermany likes this.
  5. Bob F

Bob F Senior Member

Bum link, Matt. Should be: [thread=14835]Sinatra Capitol 20 & 24-Bit Masters[/thread]. Direct link to juicy stuff: [post=241285]post #29[/post].

6. Uncle Al

Uncle Al Senior Member

I'll have to get that stereo mix one day. I bought a Capitol mono for $2.99 (side logo rainbow label) that is in VG condition. The funny thing is - the original price sticker is still on the back cover ($3.69 - pay at Record Dept.). This one still floors me (and is probably my single favorite Sinatra album).

7. Bob F

Bob F Senior Member

I'm sure Matt will cover this in his analysis, but there's only one mix where Sinatra cries "Wah,wah, wah!" at the end of the song "It All Depends on You."

(That's due to the remix engineer not fading down fast enough, and I always imagine that would be Frank's reaction after hearing that particular remastered version. :winkgrin:)

8. paulmock

paulmock Forum Resident

I'd not heard the mono mix until our fine host recommended it here and I got me a copy. It is REALLY good mono...but I prefer the stereo.

P.S. It's amazing how many fans LOVE this LP. I am one of them. Yet, Mr. S was mentally "double-parked on Vine Street" and flew threw most of these sessions. Oh, what might have been...

CBackley likes this.
  9. rangerjohn

rangerjohn Forum Resident

I think its a great intro to Sinatra for Rock 'n' Roll fans. Some of the tracks simply ROCK OUT!

Riddle was furious that Sinatra insisted on quickening the tempo of the arrangements, but it gives the album a unique place in the FS catalog.

You can hear "Blue Heaven" at the right tempo in a live performance on an unauthorized recording floating around.

McLover and CBackley like this.
  10. SCOTT1234

SCOTT1234 Senior Member

It's one of my most played Sinatra albums - love the backing, there's some fine jazz playing going on. He might have dashed it off quickly but it still came out great.

CBackley likes this.
  11. paulmock

paulmock Forum Resident

If you love the accompaniment, then seek out Dean Martin's "This Time I'm Swingin'!" LP. It is from the same time period and has almost the same identical members in the orchestra...right down to Irv Cottler and Bill Miller!!!
    I adore that album. :thumbsup:

driverdrummer likes this.
  12. MLutthans

....and it's available on CD in both mono and stereo incarnations.

http://www.amazon.com/This-Time-Swi...r_1_1?s=gateway&ie=UTF8&qid=1285026303&sr=8-1

http://www.amazon.com/This-Time-Swi...1_19?s=gateway&ie=UTF8&qid=1285026564&sr=8-19

A lot of people fall over themselves in praise of the mono CD (the second one listed above). I've got it and I think it's good, but I'm not gaga over it. I've never heard the stereo CD.

Matt

13. paulmock

paulmock Forum Resident

The stereo stuff from the Bear Family box set is great sounding stereo. I was not too fond of the mono CD, though. The best is the stereo vinyl edition. It took me 4 tries to get a clean, clear copy of it and I finally landed a "mint" one. I just love it.

14. pdenny

pdenny 22-Year SHTV Participation Trophy Recipient

I just can't love this record (like I should?). Every time I play it I get a mental picture of Frank in the studio doing a "faster, faster" rolling-finger hand motion, all the while not even bothering to take his coat off :D

CBackley and driverdrummer like this.
  15. MLutthans

More samples have come in. Thanks!

Still looking for:

•Non-USA LPs
    •EP sets
    •7 1/2 ips open reel
    •Japanese CP32 CD

Matt

16. rangerjohn

rangerjohn Forum Resident

I'm VERY curious, Matt, as to what you'll think of the stereo v. mono on the Sinatra title.

I love my stereo MFSL needledrop, but some here have me wondering whether the original mono might even be better.

17. MLutthans

I'm curious, too, because I've not heard the mono mix....yet! We all get to learn together on this one. :uhhuh: I hope, too, to get lots of other people's opinions. That's the fun of tearing through all these things: Trying to reach something close to a consensus. (I am *sure* that more people disagreed on my NICE 'N' EASY verdict than actually posted their displeasure in that thread. It's not too late to vent! I'm sure we'll have lots of venting if/when we reach SEPTEMBER OF MY YEARS!)

Matt

CBackley likes this.
  18. stevelucille

stevelucille Forum Resident

I'm really looking forward to see Matt's critique on Sinatra's Swingin Session. Although I wouldn't put it in the top rank of the Capitol LPs, it's still a blast to listen to. This LP and the next (Come Swing With Me) make a nice CD with plenty of room to spare!

Speaking of the length of these LPs, that should have made for a nice LP mastering. Less than 15 minutes of music on each side. Could have almost been mastered at 45 RPM!

CBackley likes this.
  19. MLutthans

Funny you should bring that up. Just last night I was transferring the MFSL track into Pro Tools and noticing again that there is essentially as much deadwax as there is "livewax" (??) on that LP.

Matt

PS - It's not too late to contribute samples, if anybody has:

•Non-USA LPs
    •EP sets
    •7 1/2 ips open reel
    •Japanese CP32 CD

Thanks!

20. SCOTT1234

SCOTT1234 Senior Member

thanks Paul, I'll check out that recommendation.

21. stevelucille

stevelucille Forum Resident

I'm sure Matt will mention this in his critique but...

Sinatra's Swingin Session can be considered a remake of sorts. 6 of the 8 songs from his last 10" record with Columbia (Sing And Dance With Frank Sinatra) are included.

But of course with Nelson Riddle doing the new arrangments they are miles apart...

22. ArneW

ArneW Senior Member

I have always thought that the most similar album to "Sinatra's Swingin' Session" is Rosemary Clooney's "Rosie Solves The Swingin' Riddle" on RCA. I think the album has much more in common with "Swingin' Session" than any Dean Martin Album from the same time period. If I close my eyes I can virtually hear Sinatra sing along Nelson Riddle's up-tempo arrangement of "I Get Along Without You Very Well".

Arne

23. paulmock

paulmock Forum Resident

The gentleman mentioned he enjoyed the sound of the orchestra and I mentioned "This Time I'm Swingin'!" because (almost man-to-man) it's the same group of individuals. I am really impressed that both Cottler and Miller are on it.

"I Get Along Without You Very Well" done swing sounds almost as scary as "Some Enchanted Eeeeeeevning"!!!!!:eek:

24. ArneW

ArneW Senior Member

Of course you are right, and Rosie's "April in Paris" is not much better in that respect. Still, the usage of the the various sections of the orchestra is very similar on both records. Sadly, my early japanese CD issue doesn't give any names regarding the personnel.

Arne

25. paulmock

paulmock Forum Resident

Ah!!!! I see your point now. GOTCHA!:cool:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.