Sinatra / Capitol Sound & Photo Quality: "Sinatra's Swingin' Session!!!" - 1961

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by MLutthans, Sep 20, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Bob F

Bob F Senior Member

Cross-link to an alternate photo from the SWINGIN' SESSION album cover shoot:
    [post=7179341]"Sinatra: Best of the Best" CD to combine Capitol and Reprise recordings (post #333)[/post]​

2. SinatraFan

SinatraFan Well-Known Member

Just got a near mint copy of this LP in stereo (D6). Had the mono version but really like stereo much better for this album. The LP sounds amazing with a lot of punch to the orchestra and instrumental solos!

3. MLutthans

MLutthans That's my spaghetti, Chewbacca! Staff Thread Starter

Here's an acetate (or test pressing or some such thing) that sold on Ebay in 2009:

Attached Files:

4. MLutthans

Today I got a CD from Hispavox/Time-Life that features an odd blue cover. It's a 1997 re-release of the Walsh remix, and includes the excellent Pete Welding liner notes from 1987.

Also, note that on the Capitol Custom pressing in the previous post, somebody wrote "Side 1" on what appears to be side 2.

Attached Files:

5. rangerjohn

rangerjohn Forum Resident

Wow. Nice pick up. With the bonus tracks!

6. Arkoffs

Arkoffs Remote member

A couple years late to the party here... but I just did a shootout between three vintage copies (whoops, my lady was right when she said "don't you have that" at the store. But the new one is the best condition/press of the bunch, the 9'oclock mono, so there.):

mono 9 0'clock, D1 #2/D1 #2, Scranton
    mono 12 o'clock, D1 #3/D1 #6 Scranton
    stereo 9 o'clock D2 #4/D2 #2 Scranton

Apart from my surprise that the 12 o'clock copy was also a D1 ... that one is a notch off tonally from the earlier pressing.

I'm usually kind of a mono partisan, but I like the stereo for this one. Frank's vocals are crisper in stereo on some tracks ("Should I" being one example) and the whole thing just sounds really alive and present. That being said, for overall presentation the mono really kicks when you crank it up. I call it a draw for which mix is better, so I gotta keep them both!

7. MLutthans

From October 2008, here:
    ....and from October 2009, here:

....I pointed out an excellent site that goes into some detail on (among other things) the recording of SINATRA'S SWINGIN' SESSION, by engineer Robert Auld.

Apparently, he has gone from simply examining how the recording was made to actually COPYING (to a degree) how the recording was made, using the Nelson Riddle 1956 SWINGIN' AFFAIR track, "Night and Day," (and others) as a jumping off point. (That's really pretty cool, IMO.)

Here's what I suggest!

•First, listen to Auld's fascinating 7-minute mp3 "tutorial" on the session, here: http://www.auldworks.com/bbandrecord/tutorial v3.mp3. JUST LISTEN and absorb....no pictures yet!

•Second, go back and read (and look at pictures) about the session, here: http://www.auldworks.com/bbandrecord/bbandrec3.htm

There are some little things that I would have done differently, but that's always the case, right? By and large, I'm quite impressed with the sound he got on the orchestra here, and anybody who tries to model a session after the classic Capitol sound is on a pretty good track (no pun intended).

Matt

Bob Belvedere likes this.
  8. Jaap74

Jaap74 Forum Resident

Sinatra's Swingin' Session!!!

Just hearing this album for the first time tonight and it sounds amazing ! I love Frank but I've never heard this before. What year is it ? Tell me about the production, details please !?!?

9. apileocole

apileocole Lush Life Gort

Right, recorded August 22nd and September 1st 1960 (Capitol Studio A), released in 1961 and with that I turn over the thread to Swingin' MLutthans:
    Sinatra / Capitol Sound & Photo Quality: "Sinatra's Swingin' Session!!!" - 1961
    http://www.stevehoffman.tv/forums/showthread.php?t=228537
    Delightful album. :)

[MOD: Threads merged.]

10. Jaap74

Jaap74 Forum Resident

Delightful indeed, his vocals are so clear, it's like being in a time machine..,,

11. Bob F

Bob F Senior Member

There were four sessions: August 22, 23, 31, and September 1, 1960.

This was the beginning of the end of Sinatra's Capitol contract. His next recordings in December of 1960 were for his own new label, Reprise Records.

12. rangerjohn

What version are you listening to?

A great album. Sinatra annoyed Riddle by increasing the tempo of many of the numbers. But it works!

13. MLutthans

To my ears, this is the first Sinatra album made on a new-to-Capitol 12-mic-input board, and it sounds great. From my old review pages:

14. rangerjohn

Did the original pressing feature a red apple on the label? ;)

15. MLutthans

From another thread:
    Here are three 45-second clips (from within the free iTunes sample window -- nothing being given away here) in this order: 1.) 1998 UK boxed set CD; 2.) MFSL CD; 3.) 2012 MFSL LP. https://app.box.com/s/av4acfd64ln2lbq76xr3

To my ears, there's just no sparkle to the high end on the MFSL CD. (Listen to the cymbals and to the strings.) It sounds flat on top and slightly "tubby" to me. I will say this, though: I think the 2012 MFSL LP is hands-down the best LP pressing this title has ever had, but the flip-side of that comment is that, for some reason, this particular titles seems to be pretty poorly represented in terms of LP sonics over the years.

mpayan and hodgo like this.
  16. AJH

AJH Senior Member

Although I usually like most of MFSL's SACD's (and Gold CD's), I've been fairly disappointed with several of their recent releases. I would categorize my feelings concerning them as very similar to the way you have described the way you feel about "Swingin' Session !!!". Sometimes it's hard to find the exact words to use when you're trying to express problems with a disc, but I think "flat on the top and slightly 'tubby'" is the exact way I would describe the sound on their recent release of Carole King's "Tapestry." Additionally, to me, it seems something is off about the stereo presentation on "Tapestry" (I really like earlier CD's of this album much more). I just received "PONR" and Dean Martin's "This Time I'm Swingin" but haven't had time to listen to them. I hope they don't suffer from similar problems.

AJH

MLutthans likes this.
  17. mpayan

mpayan A Tad Rolled Off

After listening to the UK 98 vs the MFSL I agree. The 98 is best. I don't think its bright at all. Id call it more clarity on instrumentation. Imma gonna have to get me one of those UK sets eventually. Birthdays in January....hmmmmmm

18. BradOlson

BradOlson Country/Christian Music Maven

I just played my colorband label mono LP and that LP does sound great.

McLover and Jayson Wall like this.
  19. digi

digi Member

The song "It All Depends On You".On the album from the new box set,at the end Sinatra ads Wha Wha Wha.This is not on the original album.Is this an alternate take or a problem in editing?

20. Bob F

Bob F Senior Member

Longer fade out. That's the Bob Norberg remix (1998). It's the same take. The original Larry Walsh CD mastering (1987) matches the released LP version. Norberg either mistakenly failed to silence it soon enough, or he wanted to rewrite history.

See this post: Three (Now Eight) Upcoming Sinatra/Capitol Titles on MFSL LP & SACD* (post #932).

Album thread [now merged with this post -- MOD]: Sinatra / Capitol Sound & Photo Quality: "Sinatra's Swingin' Session!!!" - 1961

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 2, 2014
  21. Bob F

Bob F Senior Member

22. digi

digi Member

Yes.That's it.Thank you for the info.

Bob F likes this.
  23. MLutthans

Attention Barbie experts! (Paul?????)
    Is this legit, or just some sort of B.S., i.e., maybe somebody found an old LP jacket and just cut out the image? (Were any in color?)
    1.jpg
    $_57.jpg $_57m.jpg

bozburn and Simon A like this.
  24. Simon A

Simon A Arrr!

Maybe this was cut-out from a colour inner-sleeve.

bozburn likes this.
  25. paulmock

paulmock Forum Resident

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.