beatles mono box how do you spot a fake?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by fitzysbuna, Feb 14, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. fitzysbuna

fitzysbuna Senior Member Thread Starter

I could not find a defintive answer in the boards! yes i did search but no one came up with any real answers i brought a copy from a legit store but you never know! so if anybody can help ty in advance!

2. Daniel Plainview

Daniel Plainview God's Lonely Man

3. The Rush Fan

The Rush Fan Well-Known Member

What I've been able to gather from the posts here, spelling errors, sub-par packaging and smelly, runny ink.

4. fitzysbuna

it smells a little funny! paper sleeves are in it ! the printing looks ok!

5. fitzysbuna

then my copy must be legit then! it has the paper sleeves high quality printing so i have finally got it ! yay

6. Trebor

Trebor Forum Resident

Fake on the left. Notice the ring around the center hole of the disc.

[​IMG]

Again, the fake is on the left. Notice the different and incorrect title font on the cover.

[​IMG]

Bingo Bongo, bluemooze and real01 like this.
  7. fitzysbuna

Thank you Trebor ! yep mine is the real thing!

8. IF I bought a copy from Amazon.co.uk am I guaranteed to have a legit copy ? I think mine is ok....

9. Jim B.

Jim B. Senior Member

Yes. There is virtually no chance of counterfeit copies entering Amazon's supply chain. Amazon Marketplace sellers is a different matter though.

Avoid eBay completely.

Just buy from the big online stores like Amazon and HMV.

JFI, I bought a copy of that Japanese Rolling Stones 60's SHM-CD boxset from a ****** on ebay. I had not read anywhere that there were fakes of it, so presumed it was ok. The Beatles and Pink Floyd sets are the ones you hear about all the time.

However the Chinese had been well at it and it was indeed a fake, looked ok from the outside but the contents were awful.

It's just not worth buying these type of sets of people on eBay, unless you can say 100% they are a genuine seller.

10. cgoodwin22

cgoodwin22 Senior Member

yes...please watch out for the marketplace. I ordered my Floyd box set through a private seller off Sears web site...i got screwed! I received a fake set...and i'm pretty much stuck with it now...and i paid full price.

11. Thanks. I bought my mono box last may from Amazon.co.uk direct. Just hearing these stories got me concerned.

12. xios

xios Senior Member

I got a fake MMT stereo from Amazon proper when they had their $8,00 sale last year.

13. How did you know it was a fake ?

14. full moon

full moon Forum Resident

I bought the Floyd " Oh by the way " set last week from Amazon...I paid more but wanted to make sure I got the real thing..Many Marketplace sellers were selling at half the cost , which raises a red flag.

15. according to the guy who bought a fake MMT from Amazon direct, does that mean Amazon are now not as safe as we thought ? Can we not guarantee a legit box from amazon direct ?

16. Joseph

Joseph Senior Member

It's hard to tell without opening it. I had my first look at a fake this weekend at a record show I was selling at. It was open so it becomes pretty clear that it was a fake. The previous posts were bang on in how to tell.

I had sliced open the edge of my box to confirm it was legit.

Ironically he sold his fake for $75.00 (+ box was dented) and my mint perfect legit copy did not sell at $135.00!:confused:

Afterwords the other dealer confided in me that one of the discs skipped.:shake:

17. I e-mailed Amazon.co.uk direct and asked them about counterfeit mono box. They informed!All items bought directly from amazon.co.uk are brand new. Only third party sellers can list used and pre-owned items".

so i should be fairly certain i have a legit copy of the mono box set ?

18. Looking at the picture attached my Disc's look ok and the artwork looks fine. MMT book is attached to the sleeve.

19. Stanshallogist

Stanshallogist Forum Resident

The Back Says Apple Corps is a Licensed and Registered trademark of Apple Cors.

Hooray something you can use on a sealed mono to tell if its real or fake! Enjoy.

Dino likes this.
  20. JA Fant

JA Fant Well-Known Member

Great job, Trebor.

21. sparkydog

sparkydog Forum Resident

The Lennon Signature box is out there too. Saw one for $25.00.

[​IMG]

22. xios

xios Senior Member

In answer to the question about my MMT from Amazon noted above, the item arrived sealed without the Apple sticker, and the disc has a Capitol logo that looks a bit smudgy. It's a good fake, but I compared it to an authentic one and the cover is a bit more contrasty and the disc has a duller sheen.

23. PH416156

PH416156 Alea Iacta Est

What does the information on disc say? Pressed in Argentina, maybe?

24. Also, how would that disc slipped through amazon ? They say they buy direct from the manufacturer's and its brand new.

25. Jim B.

Jim B. Senior Member

I used to work in music distribution and the big companies buy direct from the 'legit' distributor, so there is no way that fakes can get into the chain.

Unless...and it would be the odd one, if Amazon or someone got a return from a customer, which was a fake, and Amazon put it back into their stock.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.