beatles mono box how do you spot a fake?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by fitzysbuna, Feb 14, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. BlueSpeedway

BlueSpeedway YES, I'M A NERD

$25.00! :eek: I guess even a faker is making a loss on that!

2. Sytze

Sytze Senior Member

A Dutch auction site offers a sealed stereo box and a sealed mono box together for 199 euros, which is cheap. Then I read about counterfeit boxes.
    So is there any way of spotting counterfeits from the outside (spelling errors for example)? I could then ask the seller to check the writing on the box without him having to open them.

3. Sytze

Sytze Senior Member

Is your box complete? When Oh By The Way was first released, many boxes were missing either an inner sleeve or a WYWH postcard. Some even had the Ummagumma labels reversed. I have an almost complete set, only the Animals lyric inner was missing.

4. Mylene

Mylene Senior Member

There's different fake mono boxes. I've seen one with
    1. All the inner sleeves the same
    2. No opening in the sleeve of MMT/MMT cd in the second sleeve of Sgt Pepper
    3. All non gatefold sleeves similar to the Capitol Years sleeves.
    4. No plastic outer sleeves.
    5. It STILL smells

5. cgoodwin22

cgoodwin22 Senior Member

i'm stuck with my fake floyd box...but i'm not gonna re-buy it...i'm just glad the CD's themselves sound fine.

6. Checked the back of my mono box at lunch, had Beatles apple corps on it. Is that a good sign ?

7. cgoodwin22

cgoodwin22 Senior Member

as long as it isn't spelled Beetles Appel Corrps.

Paul Jones likes this.
  8. Ha ha, no its looks like its spelled fine.

Wouldn't counterfeit have the correct spelling as well, out of interest ?

9. cgoodwin22

cgoodwin22 Senior Member

Definately. I think there's a few videos on youtube with people showing their fake beatles box set.

10. So if its spelt ok and has the full apple corps thats all good then ?

11. Trebor

Trebor Forum Resident

From what I've been told, there is one way in particular to identify a fake mono box while sealed. On the fake, there is a seam in the white covering at the top LEFT edge going from front to back. On the authentic box, that edge is smooth with no seam.

There may be other indications, but this is one that's easy to spot. Unless it's been corrected of course.

12. Mine does look smooth. Also Trebor, when i look at your pictures at the top of this post my Disc's look like the normal one not the fake.

13. Stanshallogist

Stanshallogist Forum Resident

Yes. The outside box of a fake will says Apple Corps is a licensed and registered trademark of Apple Cors

Note the missing P.

14. Mine has "Apple Corps", Stanshallogist. Does that mean i'm safe in saying mine legit ? It did come from amazon.co.uk direct.

15. Jim B.

Jim B. Senior Member

You are assuming there is just one fake version. As Mylene says, there are different versions of fakes it seems, so the spelling might be correct on the outside on one version.

16. Jim, i got it direct from Amazon.co.uk, from what you said early about working in a company like this, is it pretty safe its legit ?

17. Jim B.

Jim B. Senior Member

I would say the chances are you have the real thing is 99.9%. I wouldn't worry.

18. Cheers Jim. I have been getting concerned. Most of the signs look ok.

19. I'm sure i have a legit copy. Just one final question, with the mono past masters i don't have paper sleeves, like with the other albums. Just the plastic film to protect the discs. Is that normal ?

20. Jim B.

Jim B. Senior Member

Yes, mine is the same (bought from HMV on day of release).

21. Jim B.

Jim B. Senior Member

22. Mylene

Mylene Senior Member

The one I've seen has the generic EMI inner sleeve in all the replicas, including The White Album, Sgt Pepper and mono masters. At record fairs I've seen copies that look much, much worse.

The one in the youtube clip is one of the best ones :winkgrin:

23. Hi Jim, in the link i was refering to a customer recieved a fake mono box set form amazon direct.

So my boxset is correct in NOT having paper sleeves for the past masters mono CD's ?

24. BuckNaked

BuckNaked Senior Member

Does anyone have the link to the Fake Stereo Box thread? I used "Search" but just couldn't find it. As I recall, there were some very funny pictures of misprints, etc.

Thanks

:wave:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.