beatles mono box how do you spot a fake?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by fitzysbuna, Feb 14, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Mike the Fish

Mike the Fish SeƱor Member

Interesting though - could the slightly different matrix number indicate a second (or first) press, or :eek: even a different mastering for the disc?

2. spanky1

spanky1 Forum Resident

I seem to recall reading(and seeing) that the cover of the mono MMT had the logo regarding the booklet near the center. The stereo(and mono counterfiets) are missing this phrase.

Are all of the mono counterfiets missing this or just some of them?

3. Can the matrix numbers be slightly different? Have I got any thing to be concerned about ?

4. knob twirler

knob twirler Senior Member

fyi - Amazon today has the mono box (new, not marketplace) for $158.00. That's still too much for me right now, but some of you on the fence may find that to be useful information.

5. I've gone through and taken all my Matrix codes -

PPM 6994522 2
    WTB 6994532 2
    AHDN 6994542 2
    BFS 6994552 2
    Help 6994562 2
    RS 6694572 2
    R 6994582 2
    SGP 6994592 2
    MMT 6994602 1
    W1 6994612 2
    W2 6994622 1
    Mono1 6994632-u 1
    Mono2 6994642 2

Does this look normal to someone with a legit copy ? Your input would be most helpful.

6. Can anyone help with the matrix numbers ? Or how i could e-mail Apple ? Sorry to keep on.

7. edgwareman

edgwareman Forum Resident

Apart from the odd disc having a 2 suffix instead of the 1 (and vice versa) my codes are identical and I bought my box from Amazon UK on the day of release.

You have a legit box, now get some sleep!

8. You think so? Think I'm being way to obsessive. Is it worth e mailing apple or just accept it's probably legit and getting on with my life? It completely taken over my life :(

9. Oh,could the fakes have these matrix codes or are they only on legit copies?

10. edgwareman

I haven't read all of your posts on this thread, but if you bought your box from Amazon what makes you think you might have a fake?

11. I don't know to be honest. I suffer from OCD and its my prize posession. I got in a panic after hearing all these counterfeit stories. Nothing obvious its a fake, wanted to be 100% certain it wasn't. The more i asked the more i got worried. Amazon should be a safe place to buy from.

12. edgwareman

I've just read your (many!) posts on this thread. All the indications are your box is 100% legit.

13. Really ? What makes you say that ?

14. Mylene

Mylene Senior Member

If it's got outer plastic sleeves, fits neatly into it's box, has no spelling mistakes, actually plays mono, 24 tracks on Rubber Soul and Help, MMT has a sleeve hole, you're not dry reaching with the smell, black inners in The White Album, red and white inner in Pepper ... it's real :D

joannenugent likes this.
  15. edgwareman

..what he/she said, plus flipback covers and printed EMITEX inner sleeves for all the CDs up to and including Revolver ...

16. cgoodwin22

cgoodwin22 Senior Member

the beatles fake set looks a hell of a lot better than the Pink Floyd fake one that i received...any fool could spot the floyd fake...misspelled words, crappy printing, etc.

17. sparkydog

sparkydog Forum Resident

My "real" mono box is 2 & 3/4 inches thick. The length of the logo on the side is 2 & 5/32 inches from the B to the S in Beatles. None of my fakes meet both of these criteria. Some are over 3" in thickness & in logo length. Is this a definitive clue? Beats me!

Pick the 2 real ones!

View attachment 174537

18. Whats "printed EMITEX inner" sleeves ? Sorry not sure what EMITEX mean't.

19. edgwareman

'EMITEX' inner:

Attached Files:

20. Yes i have them. They look the same.

Could those matrix codes be on the fakes ? Do you think my box is ok and i'm worrying over nothing ?

21. Tommyboy

Tommyboy Senior Member

Relax, you have a legitimate box! Enjoy it.

22. Ok..how are you so sure ? What about those matrix codes, could they be on a fake ? Sorry to keep on.

23. cgoodwin22

cgoodwin22 Senior Member

dude...STOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

milankey likes this.
  24. cgoodwin22

cgoodwin22 Senior Member

by the way i purchased the mono box today for $179. Authentic.

25. Uncle Al

Uncle Al Senior Member

Gbeer - get some sleep. You have a legit box. However, if you have doubts, I'll buy yours for, hmmmm, let's say $50? :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.